Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,932

2 members and 2,930 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Hot Hide Problem

I've been trying to get a good balance in temperatures but it's been difficult. I thought I had everything right before.

I have a heat pad & a thermostat. The temp gun I'm using has a -3/+3 range. I looked at other threads to see what temp guns everyone else recommended and it seemed even the best ones had a -2/+2 range.

I did several trials, measuring below the substrate, and what I got most of the time were 90 - 93 on various points throughout the Hide (though one spot where the red laser was on read 94). My concern is the -3/+3 range. If -3, my temps would actually be 87-90 and if +3, 93-96. It's hard to explain, but if I go any lower or any higher on my thermostat, can you see how I'm kinda stuck? When sometimes my temp gun reads higher than I would like (like that 94 degree when everything else around it was 90-93), I touch the spot and it feels kinda of warm but not a lot or hot. Concerning the range when at lowest 90 - worst case scenario is it's actually 87 - is that ok? Putting the thermostat any higher to compensate for the low temp and not the high temp, I'm afraid I'll hurt my snake.
    Last edited by Lina; 08-02-2017 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Hot Hide Problem

I'm not exactly certain what you're saying here ... possibly worrying too much about the type / range of your temp gun ??

Whenever you touch the warm spots they will hardly ever feel hot to you as WE are all 98.4 or thereabouts - that's far too warm for your cooler blooded snake/s.

The accepted warmest temp for Royals seems to be 92F as far as I know and cool side not really lower than 78F ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-02-2017 at 04:38 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (08-03-2017)

Thanks

Re: Hot Hide Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I'm not exactly certain what you're saying here ... possibly worrying too much about the type / range of your temp gun ??

Whenever you touch the warm spots they will hardly ever feel hot to you as WE are all 98.4 or thereabouts - that's far too warm for your cooler blooded snake/s.

The accepted warmest temp for Royals seems to be 92F as far as I know and cool side not really lower than 78F ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm generally a worry wart and I'm new to owning snakes so it's a bad combination haha. Sorry if it was confusing. I was just trying to address the issues of my temperature ranges as apparently they are pretty important to the health of snakes and I wanted to confirm that the ranges were ok (the question at the bottom?). I want to be as safe as possible with him. Cool, then I'm ok I guess about the warm spot. It doesn't feel hot to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Hot Hide Problem

Quote -

'Cool, then I'm ok I guess about the warm spot. It doesn't feel hot to warm to me '

--

That was my point .. Our body temp is 98.4F so for example a temp of 100F may just feel slightly warm to you but it would be far too warm / hot for a snake who are cold blooded and need to thermoregulate their temp . Also 95 or 96F will seem COOL to you but is still far too hot for your snake .
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-03-2017 at 04:39 AM.

Thanks

Re: Hot Hide Problem

I figured out what I was doing wrong and have readjusted my temps. Everything's working now.