Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,335

0 members and 1,335 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Reptile!

Thanks

New Reptile!

So, as some of you may or may not know, I unfortunately had to get rid of my bp Nagini today. She was much to aggressive for me to handle and I just didn't have the time, or resources and knowledge, to be able to help her come out of it. As a result, I re-homed her and she now has a home with a nice gentleman who knows more about snakes than I could ever hope to know at this point in my herp journey. HOWEVER, since I had to get rid of her I took the opportunity to fill the open space that she left, with something new. Granted, my girlfriend somewhat talked me into it, but I'm not disappointed with the outcome. Today, we purchased our very first lizard! We got an absolutely beautiful little Leopard Gecko. It is a male (we had him sexed at a pet store different than the one we purchased him from) and his name is Hex! With that said, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, as we are obviously pretty new to these guys.

Here is our little guy, Hex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LivingDeadGirl For This Useful Post:

L.West (08-01-2017),spellbound04 (07-31-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Make sure the temps are appropriate. They should be right around 88 on the hot side and 78-80 on the low side. They don't require much in terms of humidity so if that moss is damp, I would remove it.

If you haven't already, I would check out the care sheet for them and purchase anything you need asap that you haven't already bought.

Link

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Congrats! That's a great looking gecko!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My advice would be to research PRIOR to bringing animals home. I think it's unfortunate that you re-homed one animal just to replace it with another.
    You cited lack of time and lack of experience for reasons to re-home the snake after only a few months. Now you bring home another animal the same day??

And you just threw it in the same enclosure? Is the enclosure even properly set up? Was it cleaned?

If you didn't have the time or knowledge for one animal, why would you bring another animal home before researching them enough to properly care for the animal??

Is this just going to be a revolving door of animals?

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Fazer72110 (08-01-2017),GoingPostal (08-01-2017),JodanOrNoDan (08-01-2017),Kira (08-01-2017),MissterDog (08-01-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017),Sauzo (08-01-2017),shaundouglass135 (08-01-2017),Sonny1318 (08-01-2017),Sunnieskys (08-01-2017),tttaylorrr (08-01-2017)

Thanks

Re: New Reptile!

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    My advice would be to research PRIOR to bringing animals home. I think it's unfortunate that you re-homed one animal just to replace it with another.
    You cited lack of time and lack of experience for reasons to re-home the snake after only a few months. Now you bring home another animal the same day??

And you just threw it in the same enclosure? Is the enclosure even properly set up? Was it cleaned?

If you didn't have the time or knowledge for one animal, why would you bring another animal home before researching them enough to properly care for the animal??

Is this just going to be a revolving door of animals?
    First of all, I re-homed my snake because she was aggressive and I didn't have the experience needed to help her come out of it. Nor did I have the time, considering that I'm getting ready to start back in my 3rd year of college. It would absolutely NOT have been fair to her for me to keep her with the lack of knowledge and time given the circumstances. Secondly, my girlfriend has done her research. The animal has been hers from the get-go. So when I asked for advice, I wasn't blindly asking for directions. Just tips that some may have. And seeing as we have two other snakes whom we would never dream of getting rid of, I'd say that it's not a revolving door of animals. So, if you're gonna be rude than you can just feel free to not reply.

Banned
    Thanks
    I'm not being rude, I'm thinking of the animals. I think less than a few months is too soon to give up on a hatchling considering the species is extremely docile by nature and almost always settles down as it matures.
    What happens if you don't like everything about the leopard gecko in the next few months? Will that be re-homed as well?
    Was the enclosure cleaned? One concern with the re-homed snake was potential parasites, so I'm hoping the leopard gecko isn't in the same enclosure considering it was brought home the same day.

Also, you asked for advice since you are in your own words "obviously pretty new to these guys".

Constructive criticism is good for everybody. Life can be pretty rough if you can't handle it.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-01-2017 at 10:36 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Fazer72110 (08-01-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017),Sonny1318 (08-01-2017),Sunnieskys (08-01-2017)

Thanks

I'm not being rude, I'm thinking of the animals. I think less than a few months is too soon to give up on a hatchling considering the species is extremely docile by nature and almost always settles down as it matures.
    What happens if you don't like everything about the leopard gecko in the next few months? Will that be re-homed as well?
    Was the enclosure cleaned? One concern with the re-homed snake was potential parasites, so I'm hoping the leopard gecko isn't in the same enclosure considering it was brought home the same day.

Constructive criticism is good for everybody. Life can be pretty rough if you can't handle it.
    There's a difference between CC and being rude, and you were coming off as pretty rude in my opinion. What happens with the leopard gecko is not my decision, seeing as it belongs to my girlfriend. However, I don't see her getting rid of it because she's already wanting to get more and has wanted a Leo for quite a while now. As for the tank, it has been cleaned.

Banned
    Thanks
    Rude would be name calling and putting you down. I asked questions and offered opinions on an open forum where you asked for advice.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-01-2017 at 10:46 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    I'm off to the beach for a few, just didn't want to walk away from this without closure....

Please understand I'm not judging or trying to be rude. My thoughts are geared towards what is best for the animals, since they don't have a choice. I truly wish you the best and look forward to some updates on your new leo.

Good luck! Have a great day!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017),tttaylorrr (08-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Also, you asked for advice since you are in your own words "obviously pretty new to these guys".

Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
    There's a difference between CC and being rude, and you were coming off as pretty rude in my opinion. What happens with the leopard gecko is not my decision, seeing as it belongs to my girlfriend. However, I don't see her getting rid of it because she's already wanting to get more and has wanted a Leo for quite a while now. As for the tank, it has been cleaned.
    OP, despite what you may believe craigfrechette has brought up some very valid points that i feel you need to address outside of the forums. i might not have worded his post the same, but my thoughts were within the same vein as his.

craigfrechette, like myself and others on here, ask the questions some might not want to confront, but we have to as it is our duty to these animals. just recognize that we are ALL here for the animals, yourself included. no one is here to attack or be mean to you, we want what's best for the ANIMALS regardless of your (or any one else's) feelings.

i'm going to keep my opinions on Nagini to myself as they're no longer necessary, however craigfrechette was not being rude; he was being blunt: no sugar-coating, no kid gloves. TBH i had the same questions as he did when i saw this thread. however that's the downside of forums and only knowing a person through text: we only know what you tell us.

keep us posted on the new little one. i love leopard geckos! don't have one myself, but maybe one day...
    do your research, read, read, read. it never hurts to learn as much as you can.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 08-01-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (08-01-2017),Kira (08-01-2017),MissterDog (08-01-2017),Sunnieskys (08-01-2017)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast