Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,285

4 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boa done right!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Boa done right!

What a summer for Sniper.

He turned 5 late in June and after a winter of no feeding, he's back, brighter and bigger!

I think he's just starting to touch the "big boa" size now. He is closing on 7 feet but may still be hovering at 6' 5" to 6' 7".

Even still, boas over 6 feet seem pretty impressive.

I went back to the deck rail for pictures things work out much better up on this rail.

Sniper!

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bcr229 (07-31-2017),BR8080 (08-02-2017),cletus (08-19-2017),DLena (08-02-2017),dylan815 (08-19-2017),jmcrook (08-01-2017),John1982 (08-28-2017),MasonC2K (07-31-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017),Reinz (07-31-2017),Sauzo (08-04-2017),ShaneSilva (08-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Sniper is looking great Gio.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-01-2017)

Thanks

Re: Boa done right!

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Sniper is looking great Gio.
    Thanks,

He'll live a long life the way I'm feeding him.

He is a very impressive snake to handle.

One of the best things about boas is the squeeze they give you during a handling session.

This Barranquilla, Colombian boa constrictor is the product of Gus Rentfro and Rio Bravo reptiles.

Gus really led the way with pure locality boa constrictors.

If you ever had an opportunity to converse with Gus via e-mail or in person or obtain one of his animals, you are a lucky person.

I'm happy I was one of those people.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I agree, that is special that you have a Boa from Gus.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-02-2017)

Thanks
    Beautiful boa Gio. How do you feed him if you don't mind me asking. I love my boa, he's awesome to handle. Never wants to go back to his enclosure but he's always so curious. This boa of your's is just stunning.
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RamMac For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-02-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamMac View Post
    Beautiful boa Gio. How do you feed him if you don't mind me asking. I love my boa, he's awesome to handle. Never wants to go back to his enclosure but he's always so curious. This boa of your's is just stunning.
    I use a seasonality approach. Recommended by Gus, Vin Russo Eugene Basset and some others. Basically the fall and winter temps are reduced and I don't feed him from late October or early November to late March or early April. His diet has variation in prey type, size and frequency. That's the short version.

Thanks for the nice comment!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-19-2017),RamMac (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    I will voice out on this a little bit.
    I made a thread the other day praising carpet pythons and I stand by it, but IF, IF IF I had to. And I am talking about being forced to choose something.

Boa constrictors are probably my favorite species of snake. They lack a little in the curious, carefree department like carpets in my experience, and are a bit less arboreal, though mine is very arboreal at close to 7 feet; I feel, and this is just based my personal taste, boas are my true love.

I get a bit wishy washy here as I keep 4 different species and it can sometimes be flavor of the day. Sadly, you will never hear me say the royal python is a contender. Of the 4 I keep here the royal is the bottom of the list and she is really only here because it is my son's snake and she was the snake that got me into the hobby. Still a sweetheart but not an interest of mine.

After a couple of days in a row spending a lot of time with my SD x Dwarf retic, I pulled out the boa in this above thread. I'm actually typing all of this with him on my shoulders. He's thick, very strong, but isn't nearly as intense or busy as the retic. I can actually relax when he's out. Its funny how a bigger, stronger snake can be less of a handling issue than something smaller, at least in girth. I imagine colubrid keepers, at least of certain species can relate.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I just talked up carpets and called them the best all around, and I think that still stands when I cover all the bases. I love my retic, we had 2 great days in a row, but when I really want a BIG snake that I can relax with, that is bigger, and more size impressive than a carpet, the BC wins. Carpets can't compete with the thick, dense muscle of boas, and as far as body shape, the loaf of bread boa shape is my favorite of all!

I love the feeling of VERY controlled power.

I guess if you are that person looking for a big snake, but not huge, and something fairly active and semi arboreal, and VERY easy to handle a boa constrictor might be for you.

I love mine!

Just today's rant LOL!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (09-12-2017),jmcrook (08-19-2017),RamMac (08-03-2017),Reinz (08-03-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I will voice out on this a little bit.
    I made a thread the other day praising carpet pythons and I stand by it, but IF, IF IF I had to. And I am talking about being forced to choose something.

Boa constrictors are probably my favorite species of snake. They lack a little in the curious, carefree department like carpets in my experience, and are a bit less arboreal, though mine is very arboreal at close to 7 feet; I feel, and this is just based my personal taste, boas are my true love.

I get a bit wishy washy here as I keep 4 different species and it can sometimes be flavor of the day. Sadly, you will never hear me say the royal python is a contender. Of the 4 I keep here the royal is the bottom of the list and she is really only here because it is my son's snake and she was the snake that got me into the hobby. Still a sweetheart but not an interest of mine.

After a couple of days in a row spending a lot of time with my SD x Dwarf retic, I pulled out the boa in this above thread. I'm actually typing all of this with him on my shoulders. He's thick, very strong, but isn't nearly as intense or busy as the retic. I can actually relax when he's out. Its funny how a bigger, stronger snake can be less of a handling issue than something smaller, at least in girth. I imagine colubrid keepers, at least of certain species can relate.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I just talked up carpets and called them the best all around, and I think that still stands when I cover all the bases. I love my retic, we had 2 great days in a row, but when I really want a BIG snake that I can relax with, that is bigger, and more size impressive than a carpet, the BC wins. Carpets can't compete with the thick, dense muscle of boas, and as far as body shape, the loaf of bread boa shape is my favorite of all!

I love the feeling of VERY controlled power.

I guess if you are that person looking for a big snake, but not huge, and something fairly active and semi arboreal, and VERY easy to handle a boa constrictor might be for you.

I love mine!

Just today's rant LOL!
    I can relate with this Gio, my royal is also at the bottom out of my 4 snakes. Although I'm very excited to experience my carpet grow (she's the smallest), my boa is the one which I'm most excited about seeing full grown. Aesthetically my white lipped python takes the prize, he's a beautiful specimen. However, there's just something about my boa (boas in general) that I just love.
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RamMac For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Sniper looks good. He's about as big as Rosey or maybe even a little bigger. As for favorites, even though Caesar is awesome, i would probably have to fall back to boas as my favorite. I love how i can throw any of them on me and go do whatever and they just hang out happy for the ride lol.

And as for trust, it boils down to Rosey or Gina. They both have the same personality which is really laid back and I'd be surprised if they actually bit anyone. I've heard Gina hiss once and that was when she was in blue and i didnt know and thought there was something wrong when she was curled up under her shelf in the back of the cage lol. I reached back there and dug under her to lift her out and she hissed a little and just sat there haha.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Really good looking snake Gio!