Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 918

1 members and 917 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: New to Ball Pythons and struggling!

Sounds like you'll be just fine ... I'll let the others guide you through the finer details of your set up

I agree with losing the light/lamp if you're gonna be using a heat mat and stat for the warmth as the lamps dry out the enclosure real fast .

I'd suggests you get yourself a twelve dollar digital temperature gun off eBay or Amazon or wherever - fabulous bit of kit for random testing the temps of the cooler end , under the hides and even the hit spots ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

finer details time!

what are you using for hides? do you have two identical cave-like hides?

are you using analog or digital thermometers/hygrometers?

i second the temp gun. it will save you many headaches in the future.

i also second reading the stickied threads in the husbandry section, as well as a smaller enclosure. the snake will grow into the 40gal in a couple years, but right now you're risking a stressed out beep that will not eat. a smaller enclosure with fake leaf clutter will make the snake feel nice and secure.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-01-2017),MissterDog (07-31-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Great job making adjustments!!! Don't beat yourself up, we were ALL new once

You've got a great attitude and you're making changes, so I applaud you.

Thanks

Sounds like we're on the same path, we got our son his snake for his birthday in June and got the zoo med 40 gal starter kit. I didn't find this place until we had him for a couple weeks. Definitely do not use the heat mat without a thermostat. Ours actually got hot enough to crack the bottom of the tank. Petsmart swapped it out for us since we asked them if we needed anything else that wasn't included in the kit and they told is we didn't. We did go the cheap route and found a digital thermostat on Amazon for less than $20. It's been working great for over a month now. If you do have the same kit as us that has two separate screens that make up the top cover, the biggest change I made to help with humidity was to replace the larger piece of screen with a piece of 1/4 inch plexiglass that was cut the exact same size as the screen. We are using two lights with a daytime on a timer and dimmer and we just put them on the front screen part. You can't set them on the plexiglass or they will melt it very quickly. I was the one that made that mistake and now the plexiglass has a very slight warp after just a few seconds. Our guy is doing great in the 40 gal but he was probably more than a year old when we got him from PetSmart since he had been there since the previous August. He is very laid back from all the handling he got there. We added three more hides and left the log hide that came with the kit and added a lot of fake greenery, so he has quite a bit of clutter. He still uses the log most often. We also leave the bedding pretty thick since he burrowed quite a bit when we first got him. We are using aspen but I started mixing it with some coco husk we picked up at repticon. Hope no one is offended that I offered a differing opinion but just wanted to say it might not be absolutely necessary to mothball or trash the setup you just spent maybe $200 on. Best of luck, hope things go as well for you as they have for us. This place is the best place I have found to learn.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

There's a lot of markup in those $200 "starter kits" which is why the employees push them. While they are ok for a low-humidity species like a corn or king snake as long as you add a thermostat to the equipment list, for a ball python or boa you're better off using the $20 100-quart Hefty tub you can find at Lowes as an enclosure.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (08-13-2017)

Thanks

I didn't say I paid anywhere close to that but I know that's the MSRP.

Sent from my B3-A20 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slseals1969 View Post
    Sounds like we're on the same path, we got our son his snake for his birthday in June and got the zoo med 40 gal starter kit. I didn't find this place until we had him for a couple weeks. Definitely do not use the heat mat without a thermostat. Ours actually got hot enough to crack the bottom of the tank. Petsmart swapped it out for us since we asked them if we needed anything else that wasn't included in the kit and they told is we didn't. We did go the cheap route and found a digital thermostat on Amazon for less than $20. It's been working great for over a month now. If you do have the same kit as us that has two separate screens that make up the top cover, the biggest change I made to help with humidity was to replace the larger piece of screen with a piece of 1/4 inch plexiglass that was cut the exact same size as the screen. We are using two lights with a daytime on a timer and dimmer and we just put them on the front screen part. You can't set them on the plexiglass or they will melt it very quickly. I was the one that made that mistake and now the plexiglass has a very slight warp after just a few seconds. Our guy is doing great in the 40 gal but he was probably more than a year old when we got him from PetSmart since he had been there since the previous August. He is very laid back from all the handling he got there. We added three more hides and left the log hide that came with the kit and added a lot of fake greenery, so he has quite a bit of clutter. He still uses the log most often. We also leave the bedding pretty thick since he burrowed quite a bit when we first got him. We are using aspen but I started mixing it with some coco husk we picked up at repticon. Hope no one is offended that I offered a differing opinion but just wanted to say it might not be absolutely necessary to mothball or trash the setup you just spent maybe $200 on. Best of luck, hope things go as well for you as they have for us. This place is the best place I have found to learn.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
    Sorry , I'm dyslexic and Aspegers and I simply can't read through WALLS of text like the one above ..many other people will feel the same way as well , I feel .

Best to use LOADS of paragraphs !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12