Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

2 members and 2,935 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New to Ball Pythons and struggling!

We got our sons a ball python and bought a 40 gallon zoo med tank kit 5 days ago. The temperature is in perfect range day/night on both the heat and cool side, but we are not able to maintain humidity. We have added a second water bowl (1 on top of the heating pad) to the tank, mist the tank several times a day, covered the top with foil and we are still dropping to low 40's high 30's. We are so new to this and I'm try to research as much as I can but I am lost.

We are not able to keep the heat pad on continuously as it makes the tank to hot. We are currently using the day time light and the red night time light that came with the kit as our heat source. Could that be the problem? Should we have the heat pad under the water bowl on at all times?

I am starting to panic about the humidity because I think he will be shedding soon. We noticed today that his eyes are looking cloudy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Is your heat pad regulated by thermostat?
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

dr del (07-31-2017),Kira (07-31-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017),tttaylorrr (07-31-2017),ZoeS (07-31-2017)

Thanks

Re: New to Ball Pythons and struggling!

No, we don't not have a thermometer for the heating pad. We have a digital thermostat that shows temperature and humidity. When the heating pad is on the temperature rises really quickly so we can leave it on very long. I don't know if we need to just have the pad and not the light above or if we need a smaller wattage bulb to be able to use the light and the heating pad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeS View Post
    No, we don't not have a thermometer for the heating pad. We have a digital thermostat that shows temperature and humidity. When the heating pad is on the temperature rises really quickly so we can leave it on very long. I don't know if we need to just have the pad and not the light above or if we need a smaller wattage bulb to be able to use the light and the heating pad.
    I think you may be confusing the difference between thermostat and thermometer. A thermostat controls heat. A thermometer only reads heat/humidity.

From the sounds of it the kit you have did not come with a thermostat which you will need to control your heat source to prevent it from getting too hot, and worse, burning your snake. A thermostat will be your most important equipment and it's unfortunate but most starter kits do not provide one so if you can, look into buying a reliable thermostat asap!

As for humidity what are you using for substrate? You may want to look into types that hold humidity better, such as coco husk or coco chip. I've also heard in addition to foil, thick foam board or a damp towel placed over the screen top can help keep humidity in.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 07-31-2017 at 02:56 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017),tttaylorrr (07-31-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You are confused. A thermometer tells you the temperature of something. A thermostat regulates how much heat you get. For example, you use the thermostat in your house to set the temperature that you want for your heat or air conditioning.
    Never run any heating device without a thermostat. You will burn your snake!!!

I have both of these
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000N...XPL&ref=plSrch

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index....=index&cPath=1

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (07-31-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017),tttaylorrr (07-31-2017)

Thanks

You are both absolutely correct. I am SO confused. Lol

Thank you for the suggestion. I do not have a thermostat. I only have the thermometer that is reading the temp inside the tank. I will look into getting one now.

As for the humidity, we have Aspen right now which I have just read dries out very quickly. I will be getting new substrate in the morning.

Thanks
    Seconding Dlena's thermostat suggestions! It may be worth noting (and Dlena you can verify this since I only have a Herpstat) that investing in a higher quality thermostat like the Herpstats from Spyder robotics will save you way more money and headaches in the long run. Jumpstart is more affordable and decent but, I've often seen it stressed as a good temporary solution since it does not have the same lifespan or safety features like a Herpstat does.

Also good on you for checking! Everything can be very confusing as first but what's important is that you are willing to fix things.

Another method that can help with humidity concerns for shedding is either getting/setting up a humid hide and/or putting sphagnum moss in your snake's hide. I believe I've seen a few people mentioning placing a damp towel over hides can help too.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 07-31-2017 at 03:22 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017),tttaylorrr (07-31-2017),ZoeS (07-31-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Ok, sounds like you need to start from the beginning...

Read the stickies on this forum about husbandry.

You, unfortunately, have a lot to learn. This is why it is advised to do research BEFORE bringing ANY animal home.

I'm guessing the snake is young, which would mean that enclosure is way too big anyway. Start from scratch and buy the right enclosure and the right equipment.
    UNPLPUG the heat mat ASAP to avoid serious burns, or even death, to your new pet.

You and your kids can use this as a learning experience on how to be a responsible pet owner.

P.S. Please feel free to ask any questions. You're in a great place to learn from plenty of knowledgeable keepers who have years upon years of experience with thousands of animals. You will find out pretty quickly who on this forum gives great advice based on their own experience.

This is a great community filled with great people willing to share their time, experience and knowledge with you, simply because we love these amazing animals.

Read, read, read all you can about these animals. The more you know about them the better you can properly care for them.
    You can use this opportunity to bond with your kids and learn as a family.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 07-31-2017 at 06:57 AM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017),tttaylorrr (07-31-2017),ZoeS (07-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Personally I would get rid of the overhead lights, they dry stuff out way too fast and it's difficult to control the heat output. If you use overhead lights you should get an IR temp gun to verify that it's not too hot under the light. I would unplug these lights ASAP if you don't know the hotspot temp under them, it shouldn't go much above 90F.

Get a thermostat for your heat mat ASAP. For now I would unplug the heat mat and try to get the room temp up to 80F. Once you get the thermostat it should be set to 88F for the hotspot on one side of the tank, the other side should be room temp. And don't put your water over the heat mat.

I would switch to a coconut husk substrate, maybe an inch or so. It really absorbs moisture and keeps humidity up pretty well, I just spray mine down twice a week. I don't really worry about the swings in humidity, it goes up and down quite a bit. Just be sure to keep it up for snakes that are about to shed until the shed is done. I actually think and occasional low humidity helps to keep down respiratory infections.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 07-31-2017 at 07:48 AM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-31-2017),MissterDog (07-31-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-01-2017),ZoeS (07-31-2017)

Thanks

Thanks so much for the guidance! I appreciate the encouragement and not judgment! I was already beating myself up for taking the store employee's word as gold rather than doing my own research prior getting him. Lesson definitely learned!

We spent the morning changing the subsrate, getting and installing a thermostat for our heating pad.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZoeS For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-01-2017),MissterDog (07-31-2017),Sunnieskys (07-31-2017),tttaylorrr (07-31-2017),Zincubus (07-31-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast