Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 506

0 members and 506 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: He Bit Me!

Thanks

He Bit Me!

So once when I was cleaning my hognose's tub I didn't follow the rules and I had some pinky mouse scent on my hand. He bit me, and I got him to let go pretty quickly. That was my bad, I knew I should've washed my hands but I didn't.

Fast forward to tonight, I just got back from vacation and had no mouse scent on me at all. I got into his tub to check for poop and change the water. He was posturing pretty bad and looked like he was hunting. So I tried to scoop him up so he'd know it wasn't feeding time. Anyways, he bit right between my fingers and really started gnawing. He drew blood, and after running him under water he let go. I know I got some saliva, because my hand is a slightly swollen and it had more of a sting than when I've been bitten by other snakes. I don't seem to have a big reaction to it, which is great to know.

However, my question is how do I keep him from doing t in the future? Should I just handle him a lot more? Is it possibly because he's hungry all the time? I'm feeding him every 3-5 days, and he was fed just 2 nights ago. This really doesn't look defensive to me, and everything I've read says hognose don't bite in defense, and definitely don't gnaw unless they're trying to eat. Thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Pinkies are probably too small to keep him fed and he is hungry. I feed my male hog a fuzzy every 4-5 days.

Thanks
    He's very small. But yes I agree, I'm going to start feeding two until I run out.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Yeah, pinkies may be too small. Hognose have extremely high metabolisms and pinkies don't supply a whole lot of nutrients.

What does he weigh?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Mine bit and gnawed on me once. I had a little swelling but that was about it.

Mine is always hissy and pissy in her tank. Once out she is fine. Unless she is being a real turd I pull her out by hand. If she is being a turd I'll use my big forceps to lift her out.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: He Bit Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Werdna12 View Post
    He's very small. But yes I agree, I'm going to start feeding two until I run out.
    When you say really small, how small is he? Do you have a scale? If not, definitely invest in one.

As for feeding, keep it at 3 days until he hits about 30 grams then you can go to 5 days. Hognoses have a much higher metabolism than other snakes. If the pinky isn't leaving any type of 'bump' then it's time to move up to the next size food. I have a boy who is on a feeding strike right now but is eating fuzzies even though it doesn't look like he should be.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewross8705 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 711 Posts
    one of my females is like that. she gets plenty to eat, but acts like i haven't fed her in months.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I use hook training on all mine. Two gentle taps on the glass with the hook to wake them, a gentle touch on the snake with the hook, and only then will I put my hand on them.

I don't like the startle them.