Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,881

1 members and 2,880 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Firefighters kill snake [pet boa constrictor] that was biting woman's face

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda2 View Post
    If you cant handle a boa you shouldnt have one. Seriously anyone that owns a largish snake should have the skills to get it off if it bites and especially know how to unwrap a snake, which isnt that difficult if its not around your freaking neck. Letting a snake that you know nothing about around your neck and head area is idiotic.Some people have that attitude"Im an animal lover and all animals will be nice to me",then panic the first time something goes wrong.
    Sorry this just makes me so mad and I dont want to lose my boas because of stupid people and the media.Some people should stick to cornsnakes..
    LOL. Some people should be sterilized and not be allowed to take care of anything because they have enough problems taking care of themselves. Idiots spoil everything for everybody.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MasonC2K View Post
    Wow. Says she had just gotten it like the day before as a rescue. I find the article title a bit misleading though. I don't consider the nose being the same as the face. And I'd be more concerned about the neck wrap.
    Run that by me again .... you don't consider a snakebite on the nose a facial injury ?!?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Dumdum333 (07-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Listerine also works as well as pretty much any alcohol that is for human consumption or anything that has alcohol in it for human consumption.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Listerine also works as well as pretty much any alcohol that is for human consumption or anything that has alcohol in it for human consumption.
    I've seen occasionally that listerine or alcohol doesn't always work as well, maybe for particularly stubborn foody snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Alcohol should be reserved for post-incident recovery of the bitee.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-28-2017),JodanOrNoDan (07-28-2017),Sauzo (07-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Lol true. I've been lucky and all my bites, they immediately let go as i smelled like a rat due to my stupidity but didnt taste like one haha. The only one who was determined to eat me was my BP. Go figure. She grabbed my index finger up to the 2nd knuckle and then tried to drag it into her hide to eat. I had to lift her with my other hand and dunk her head and my finger in her water bowl. She let go, looked up at me, adjusted her jaw and crawled into her hide. She had already eaten one rat so my finger was the scrawny bald after meal 'snack' i guess.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I have a 5 ft male ball that I know can crank down enough on my neck to make me pass out if I let him. I imagine a boa is even stronger. This is why I wonder what makes people think they can control a burm or a retic alone. I want to beat my head against the wall when these types of animals are sold to inexperienced people.
    I've got a 5ft boa. Frankly, that's actually a pretty small boa. Much less girthy than a 5ft ball python. Pretty much like a corn snake if it was a buff meathead. Sure, it can suffocate you - if you let it. You can still overpower a 5ft boa even if you don't go to the gym.

Whether this woman was experienced or not, it's pretty obvious she's not the brightest bulb in the package to:

A) Get bit on the face in the first place

and

B) Have to call 911 because a snake slightly heavier than a kingsnake bit her face instead of just unwrapping it and just putting vinegar/alcohol in its mouth

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Wha? Alcohol is only reserved for Friday nights, man.

And whoever said, people are crazy to keep large constrictors alone, i do it and have never had a problem. It comes down to being a knowledgeable and responsible owner and not putting yourself in a situation like that. If you try and give sloppy kisses to your snakes, then you deserve to get bit in the face lol. I generally avoid letting them get really close to my face for the reason that they are still snakes and can do unpredictable things no matter how 'tame' they are.
    But my Burmese python doesn't eat until she gets her sloppy kisses first
    Last edited by Bluebonnet Herp; 07-30-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I've seen occasionally that listerine or alcohol doesn't always work as well, maybe for particularly stubborn foody snakes.
    Idk, Listerine hasn't failed me yet. You've just gotta pour it on thick, make sure some of it gets in the snake's mouth. I think I got one of my smaller snakes drunk that way.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    How knowledgeable could she be if she was handling an unfamiliar snake near her face/around her neck and after appx 2 days of ownership?
    When I went to the Erie County SPCA to possibly adopt a snake from a hoarding seizure, I was not only asked very direct questions, but was also "chatted up" to ascertain my level of competence and species familiarity before I was even allowed to go to the holding area where they were being housed.
    I even showed them pictures of my set ups, quarantine rack, and some of my snakes.
    How did this lady even get the snake in the first place? In my limited experience, rescues are very careful, as they don't want the snake going "from the frying pan into the fire" as the saying goes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123