Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,018

2 members and 3,016 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Firefighters kill snake [pet boa constrictor] that was biting woman's face

Yeah, "rescue." I'd like to know more about that too. Did she adopt them from a true rescue, and if she did, was it true negligence on the part of the rescue in giving an inexperienced person a larger snake, or did she mislead the rescue, in which case I feel very, very sorry that they thought their animals were going to a good home and ended up dead.

A lot of people like to throw the word "rescue" around with reptiles when really all they did was purchase an animal from someone who they think isn't caring for it properly. Sure makes her sound better though, doesn't it? Like she rescued these poor animals and this is the thanks she gets.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-28-2017),redshepherd (07-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I have a 5 ft male ball that I know can crank down enough on my neck to make me pass out if I let him. I imagine a boa is even stronger. This is why I wonder what makes people think they can control a burm or a retic alone. I want to beat my head against the wall when these types of animals are sold to inexperienced people.
    i know this article is about boas but i watch BHB on youtube handling his retics and i just think "there's no way i'd ever keep something so big..." not that i ever could as i'm a 5'2 130lbs female, but you couldn't PAY me to keep a retic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I still don't understand why people still let Snakes get ANYWHERE near their faces !?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I agree with you but I am guilty as anyone else. When I am cleaning, unless someone is helping, I will throw my adults around my neck. One of these days I am going to get my nose bit but at least it is only a ball. I would never want to take a bite to the face from a boa or the larger pythons. Might improve my looks though. LOL
    i do the same when i do snaintenance (snake maintenance); just throw them around my neck. Yellow's getting to the point where, though i feel i know him, i stay very tuned in to him and he's under 1000g. i recognize the risks but i'm willing to take the consequences because they won't be so severe and i know what to do.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Yeah, "rescue." I'd like to know more about that too. Did she adopt them from a true rescue, and if she did, was it true negligence on the part of the rescue in giving an inexperienced person a larger snake, or did she mislead the rescue, in which case I feel very, very sorry that they thought their animals were going to a good home and ended up dead.

A lot of people like to throw the word "rescue" around with reptiles when really all they did was purchase an animal from someone who they think isn't caring for it properly. Sure makes her sound better though, doesn't it? Like she rescued these poor animals and this is the thanks she gets.
    I think in the 2 years I've been on online forums/groups, I've only seen two actual adopted rescues from a shelter or reptile rescue. But I've seen people call their store/craigslist purchase a "rescue" at least 50 times. LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-28-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Now dont be giving retics a bad name!! Caesar is as laid back and well mannered as any of my boas. He does like to explore a lot more than the boas but if he makes me mad, i boop him on the head with a twisted paper towel and he immediately lays down where he is and sits there.

It's not really the length of the snake that can be hard to manage, it's the girth and heft of one. Caesar is much easier to sling around my shoulder and move with than Rosey who is about 1.5x to almost 2x as thick as Caesar. She is laid back too but is still more work to support and handle.

And whoever said, people are crazy to keep large constrictors alone, i do it and have never had a problem. It comes down to being a knowledgeable and responsible owner and not putting yourself in a situation like that. If you try and give sloppy kisses to your snakes, then you deserve to get bit in the face lol. I generally avoid letting them get really close to my face for the reason that they are still snakes and can do unpredictable things no matter how 'tame' they are.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-28-2017),KWAddict (07-28-2017),ShaneSilva (07-28-2017),tttaylorrr (07-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    And whoever said, people are crazy to keep large constrictors alone, i do it and have never had a problem. It comes down to being a knowledgeable and responsible owner and not putting yourself in a situation like that. If you try and give sloppy kisses to your snakes, then you deserve to get bit in the face lol. I generally avoid letting them get really close to my face for the reason that they are still snakes and can do unpredictable things no matter how 'tame' they are.
    bingo! i can only assume she was inexperienced due to the boa being a recent addition in a collection of beeps, but it's not like the snake just outright attacked her face for no reason.

i don't think retics are bad pets by any stretch, but as someone as small as me it's hard to imagine someone my size caring for something so big by myself. it's honestly just intimidating!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I said it. I have seen things go very, very wrong with large "tame" animals. When they go wrong they go wrong fast. People get hurt, and sometimes they die. It only takes a moment of inattention at the right time. This comes from someone who tends to play on the edge a lot.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I still don't understand why people still let Snakes get ANYWHERE near their faces !?!?!
    I don't go shoving my face into my snake's face but if the snake is on my shoulders or climbing on me and just checking me out I'll let it investigate my face, my hair, my ears, etc.

FWIW a tongue-flick in the ear is really obnoxious.

Too bad this woman didn't know about the white vinegar trick, or the snake would still be alive. Also I wouldn't trust a snake I'd had for only 24 hours, most likely it would still be settling into its new enclosure and I wouldn't mess with it.
    Last edited by bcr229; 07-28-2017 at 04:04 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I don't go shoving my face into my snake's face but if the snake is on my shoulders or climbing on me and just checking me out I'll let it investigate my face, my hair, my ears, etc.

FWIW a tongue-flick in the ear is really obnoxious.

Too bad this woman didn't know about the white vinegar trick, or the snake would still be alive. Also I wouldn't trust a snake I'd had for only 24 hours, most likely it would still be settling into its new enclosure and I wouldn't mess with it.
    I will never forget your white vinegar trick, and am currently spreading the news of white vinegar to other keepers. LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    bingo! i can only assume she was inexperienced due to the boa being a recent addition in a collection of beeps, but it's not like the snake just outright attacked her face for no reason.

i don't think retics are bad pets by any stretch, but as someone as small as me it's hard to imagine someone my size caring for something so big by myself. it's honestly just intimidating!
    Haha i hear ya. I was kind of intimadated at first of the thought of a retic but after getting Caesar as a baby and having him grow up with me, he still is like a giant baby lol. Even though i have larger constrictors, i would still be intimidated by a 13'+ snake that i wasnt familiar with. I think its just human nature.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    If you cant handle a boa you shouldnt have one. Seriously anyone that owns a largish snake should have the skills to get it off if it bites and especially know how to unwrap a snake, which isnt that difficult if its not around your freaking neck. Letting a snake that you know nothing about around your neck and head area is idiotic.Some people have that attitude"Im an animal lover and all animals will be nice to me",then panic the first time something goes wrong.
    Sorry this just makes me so mad and I dont want to lose my boas because of stupid people and the media.Some people should stick to cornsnakes..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast