Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,926

0 members and 1,926 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

HELP PLEASE: Bp Wont feed

My royal has been off of food for 2 months now and is gradually loosing weight. He has no feeding response and has always been drop fed and was on medium rats. I've tried downsizing the food, exposing its flesh, feeding at night, feeding during the day, covering his viv, enticing him to strike, raising temps, lowering temps, feeding multis, feeding chicks.

He's a 14 months old bumblebee and has wobbles but that's never seemed to cause him any issues before.

He has various sized hides, his temperatures are 30 at the hot end and 25 at the cold, Humidity 60% and these don't fluctuate (hes eaten at these before with no issues).

I just don't really know what else to do other than take him to the vets to get checked out. I would normally just leave him to it as hes done it once before for a few weeks but he didn't lose weight that time and the loss of weight this time concerns me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Viv Info

Oh I forgot to add in info about his Viv.

Hes in a 3 ft viv and has one underfloor heat mat and one on the side. Water bowl and hide on his hot side, branches in the middle, fake leaves at both ends and a hide on the cool side (which he spends most of his time in).

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    If he's been fine up to now and is big enough to be eating medium rats, he may just be on a hunger strike because he's grown up and is more interested in finding a female than in eating. I've had males stop eating for six months.

I usually offer my adult males a small rat every two weeks and even those will refuse to eat occasionally.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (07-25-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he was on medium rat there is no wonder he is not eating, medium rats are too big for a male, ideally you want to feed a small rat every 7 to 10 days.

When fed to much BP will fast to catch up and considering his size it could last a few months or even a year, do not offer alternative prey you may be stuck with, simply make sure your husbandry is on point and most importantly be PATIENT.

As for the weight loss not knowing how you weight your snake it may or may not be explainable, however if you are concerned have a fecal done.
    Deborah Stewart