Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 584

2 members and 582 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Getting a New Snake

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Maybe the best option is to find a reptile store that will allow you to handle a few different types of snakes - especially a couple of Kings ..... you may not be 'quite' so keen on them . If handling is a priority then it has to be a Royal /Ball python , followed by a Corn snake ..

I have to disagree here, sorry Zinc. I have had plenty of success with Kings and regular handling. My boy comes out almost daily with the obvious feeding/shed exceptions. Have I been tagged? Yes. But it was MY fault. I spooked him and my hand was right next to his face. not his fault.
    Prior to getting back into keeping snakes this time, I used to have Kings and my buddy/neighbor did as well, all sweethearts handled regularly.

I've also known a few other Kings who were great when handled. In fact, I have only handled one that I would consider nippy besides a few juveniles who settled down very quickly. The nippy girl was in the store when I bought Django and I handled her for about 5 minutes and was tagged about 5 times (she only held on once for a few seconds and barely drew blood.). Needless to say, she wasn't coming home with me.

This is one of the reasons I personally like to meet an animal (any animal) before taking it home.

Thanks
    I'm not a King or Milk fan. I love the Ratsnakes. Chinese Beauty snakes are probably my favorite for the colubrids side with the other beauty snakes coming second.
    4.5 Chinese Beauty, 1.0 White Sided Rat, 0.1 Suboc, 0.1 Stillwater Hypo Bull, 1.0 50/50 Cal King, 6.7 Corns, 1.2.1 Ball Python, 2.1 Tarahumara Boa, 5.14 BCI, 1.0 Jaguar Carpet, 1.2 Retics, 0.1 Wolf Snake, 1.2 BCC Suriname, 1.1 Ridleyi Beauty, 0.1 False Water Cobra, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 5.4 Parrots, 0.1 Cat, 1.0 Horse

Thanks

Getting a New Snake

Quote Originally Posted by chip07 View Post
    I'm not a King or Milk fan. I love the Ratsnakes. Chinese Beauty snakes are probably my favorite for the colubrids side with the other beauty snakes coming second.
    Yeah I've looked into ratsnakes, it was actually a black licorice ratsnake at a local chain pet store that got me looking into them in the first place. He was an absolutely beautiful animal but I don't like to purchase from chain stores so I was going to do some research on them then get one from an expo and then I delved into the world of calubrids XD I do love the look of them a lot but from what I've read they are a bit to aggressive for my taste at the moment.

But like I said I have been looking into Russian Rat Snakes a bit because they seem super chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BluuWolf; 07-25-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks

From what I've heard Russian Rats are awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (07-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Russian Rat Snakes all the way! Look up their temperament and care and some youtube videos, because it's really impressive how genuinely "social" and inquisitive they are! They're the only snake species that you consistently see people describe as friendly and possibly enjoy hanging around with you to handle. Definitely my next snake.

Zerkle Reptiles has some hatchlings ready mid-August, and there's a waitlist. These are seasonal and pretty uncommonly bred, so nab one while you can LOL.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-25-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks

Getting a New Snake

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Russian Rat Snakes all the way! Look up their temperament and care and some youtube videos, because it's really impressive how genuinely "social" and inquisitive they are! They're the only snake species that you consistently see people describe as friendly and possibly enjoy hanging around with you to handle. Definitely my next snake.

Zerkle Reptiles has some hatchlings ready mid-August, and there's a waitlist. These are seasonal and pretty uncommonly bred, so nab one while you can LOL.
    Thanks for the tip! I will definantly look into that! I've heard a lot about what amazing personalities they have and I love the sound of them, it was just the availability that was putting me off.

I found them on facebook, do I just message her to be put on the wait list?

Last edited by BluuWolf; 07-26-2017 at 04:18 AM.

Thanks

Message or call.

My husband has a VBB and a King Rat snake from the Zerkles, really nice people.

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123