Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,927

2 members and 2,925 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Getting a New Snake

I currently own a Ball Python but I'm looking into getting a colubrid, but I can't decide XD Ive look into rat, king, milk, hognose, garter and a few other snakes but it so hard to choose. What is your guys options on you favorites and some experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I think my favorite colubrid is a plain ol black and white cal king. I have one that is young and growing fast, for some reason when he crawls through my fingers the black and white pattern is MEZMERIZING. I think I get hypnotized LOLOL.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Ultimately it's up to you and what want in a snake. The husbandry is pretty easy with the three I have experience with. If you can get BP husbandry down, you'll be fine with any of these three...

I have a King, a corn and a hognose and had a King in the past. I'll share a bit about my experience with each:

1) King- My adult California Kingsnake, Django, is without a doubt, my favorite snake ever. He's an absolute sweetheart. He handles extremely well and is a snake who is content to be out of his enclosure and chilling with me for longer handling sessions than most snakes. He's curious and alert, but by no means skittish or flighty. He'll explore a bit, whichever room we're in, but usually makes his way back onto my shoulders or lap to just get comfy. He's fairly active and explores and climbs throughout his enclosure.

He's also a garbage disposal. He has never skipped a meal with me and is always happy to get my BPs refusals. He's even eaten my finicky juvenile corn's refusals despite being way too small a meal for a 4 foot, 676 gram adult King. His feeding response is incredible, I have to pay attention with this guy, but man it's impressive.

The only time he is anything less than awesome is when he's in shed, he turns into a jerk. He does NOT like to be handled while in shed. He does give a good tail rattle if I get too close, though, to give me the heads up that he's not in the mood. So at least he warns me in the only way he knows how without tagging me. BUT, I've come to expect it as I've learned my snake's temperament and just leave him alone while he's in shed.

2) Corn- My juvenile corn, Baby Firefly, is a beautiful little girl, but has been a little bit tricky by comparison to any other snake I've had. She's been a finicky eater and is flighty and skittish with handling. I've handled plenty of corns through the years, and most handle better than she does. I certainly love my little pain in the butt corn, but by comparison to Kings, I would vote King all day.

3) Hognose- I just recently took a hognose, who I named Cosmo, into my care after helping a former co-worker out. Long story short: she got the snake off craigslist from somebody who couldn't get him to eat. Then she couldn't get him to eat. So, after about a year of not eating for either owner, my coworker asked if I would be willing to snake-sit and try to get him eating. I agreed and she disappeared after a few months and I haven't heard from her since she was fired months ago (believe me, I tried, as I didn't intend to keep him). Anyway, I got him in March at just 11 grams, TINY!! He now eats like a champ and is up to 28 grams.

Truth be told, I'm glad his former owner didn't want him back. He's in a better home with me, and I've fallen in love with the adorable little guy. He's got personality for days and is super sweet. He handles extremely well and loves to explore his enclosure during the day and see what I'm up to through the glass. He's currently going through his second shed cycle with me, so I've been leaving him alone the last 6 days. I want him to hurry up because I miss the little guy! Hahahaha!

But seriously, I wanted a hognose eventually long before Cosmo came into my care. Since he's been here, I want another!!! They are awesome little animals. Just too cute and such awesome little personalities. The huffing and hissing is just too funny and too cute when they're that small. He used to huff and hiss when I would put his feeder into his enclosure, now he just eats. But he did huff and hiss the other day while deep in blue when I went into his enclosure to change his water dish. But, that's just his way of giving me a heads up. I'll take that over getting tagged any day. Which brings me to the reminder that hognose are rear-fanged and possess a very mild venom which some people do have a reaction to. That being said, they almost never bite. They will huff, hiss, bluff, musk and play dead before biting defensively, and food bites are easy to avoid with tongs.

Anyway, I hope I helped you out a bit. If you haven't handled them all, I would go to an expo (or maybe a reptile specialty shop if there's one near you) if possible and handle different species at different ages and sizes. This might help you decide which animal is right for you.
    As you can probably guess, my vote would be a King or a Hognose. It just depends on what you're looking for.
    Feel free to ask any more questions if you need more help deciding, and keep us posted.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 07-24-2017 at 07:28 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (07-25-2017),Jules623 (07-26-2017),tttaylorrr (02-22-2018),Zincubus (07-24-2017)

Thanks

Re: Getting a New Snake

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I think my favorite colubrid is a plain ol black and white cal king. I have one that is young and growing fast, for some reason when he crawls through my fingers the black and white pattern is MEZMERIZING. I think I get hypnotized LOLOL.

He's beautiful! I've always loved black and white snakes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Ultimately it's up to you and what want in a snake. The husbandry is pretty easy with the three I have experience with. If you can get BP husbandry down, you'll be fine with any of these three...

I have a King, a corn and a hognose and had a King in the past. I'll share a bit about my experience with each:

1) King- My adult California Kingsnake, Django, is without a doubt, my favorite snake ever. He's an absolute sweetheart. He handles extremely well and is a snake who is content to be out of his enclosure and chilling with me for longer handling sessions than most snakes. He's curious and alert, but by no means skittish or flighty. He'll explore a bit, whichever room we're in, but usually makes his way back onto my shoulders or lap to just get comfy. He's fairly active and explores and climbs throughout his enclosure.

He's also a garbage disposal. He has never skipped a meal with me and is always happy to get my BPs refusals. He's even eaten my finicky juvenile corn's refusals despite being way too small a meal for a 4 foot, 676 gram adult King. His feeding response is incredible, I have to pay attention with this guy, but man it's impressive.

The only time he is anything less than awesome is when he's in shed, he turns into a jerk. He does NOT like to be handled while in shed. He does give a good tail rattle if I get too close, though, to give me the heads up that he's not in the mood. So at least he warns me in the only way he knows how without tagging me. BUT, I've come to expect it as I've learned my snake's temperament and just leave him alone while he's in shed.

2) Corn- My juvenile corn, Baby Firefly, is a beautiful little girl, but has been a little bit tricky by comparison to any other snake I've had. She's been a finicky eater and is flighty and skittish with handling. I've handled plenty of corns through the years, and most handle better than she does. I certainly love my little pain in the butt corn, but by comparison to Kings, I would vote King all day.

3) Hognose- I just recently took a hognose, who I named Cosmo, into my care after helping a former co-worker out. Long story short: she got the snake off craigslist from somebody who couldn't get him to eat. Then she couldn't get him to eat. So, after about a year of not eating for either owner, my coworker asked if I would be willing to snake-sit and try to get him eating. I agreed and she disappeared after a few months and I haven't heard from her since she was fired months ago (believe me, I tried, as I didn't intend to keep him). Anyway, I got him in March at just 11 grams, TINY!! He now eats like a champ and is up to 28 grams.

Truth be told, I'm glad his former owner didn't want him back. He's in a better home with me, and I've fallen in love with the adorable little guy. He's got personality for days and is super sweet. He handles extremely well and loves to explore his enclosure during the day and see what I'm up to through the glass. He's currently going through his second shed cycle with me, so I've been leaving him alone the last 6 days. I want him to hurry up because I miss the little guy! Hahahaha!

But seriously, I wanted a hognose eventually long before Cosmo came into my care. Since he's been here, I want another!!! They are awesome little animals. Just too cute and such awesome little personalities. The huffing and hissing is just too funny and too cute when they're that small. He used to huff and hiss when I would put his feeder into his enclosure, now he just eats. But he did huff and hiss the other day while deep in blue when I went into his enclosure to change his water dish. But, that's just his way of giving me a heads up. I'll take that over getting tagged any day. Which brings me to the reminder that hognose are rear-fanged and possess a very mild venom which some people do have a reaction to. That being said, they almost never bite. They will huff, hiss, bluff, musk and play dead before biting defensively, and food bites are easy to avoid with tongs.

Anyway, I hope I helped you out a bit. If you haven't handled them all, I would go to an expo (or maybe a reptile specialty shop if there's one near you) if possible and handle different species at different ages and sizes. This might help you decide which animal is right for you.
    As you can probably guess, my vote would be a King or a Hognose. It just depends on what you're looking for.
    Feel free to ask any more questions if you need more help deciding, and keep us posted.
    Good luck!
    Thank you this is super helpful! I think I'm leaning pretty strongly towards king or milk snakes All the things I've heard about kings personalities sound really nice. I have read that milk snakes are a type of king snake are their personalities similar?

I'll definantly keep you posted as well, I am hoping to go to an expo in about a month or so to look around and hold some but I wanted to narrow down my options a bit so I wasn't just running around holding all the snakes XD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    If you want something that gets a bit bigger you could get a Honduran Milk Snake. I've never had one but always wanted to add a couple to my collection to try to breed them. There are all kinds of different color patterns and they get big!

I like the Albino Tangerine colors too:

Edited

13. Respect bandwidth, copyrights, and ownership. Do not "hot-link" images from other websites or post copyrighted material without the express, written permission of the owner.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-24-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    If you want something that gets a bit bigger you could get a Honduran Milk Snake. I've never had one but always wanted to add a couple to my collection to try to breed them. There are all kinds of different color patterns and they get big!

I like the Albino Tangerine colors too:
    Yeah those were the milk snakes I was looking into. They are absolutely gorgeous XD that's second pic is amazing I was just wondering what their temperaments and personalities typically are. Like I said if they are similar in that sense to a king snake I'm sold!

Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-24-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks

In my limited experience (two kings, two milks), milk snakes need more consistent handling to stay well-behaved, while the kings are calmer by nature. However, I think our albino milk snake has vision issues that affect that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (07-24-2017),Craiga 01453 (07-24-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I've never owned a milk, but have handled a few.

They definitely get bigger than Kings. I'm not too sure of the temperament in general, but the few that I have handled did handle well.

If you like black and white, there are some beautiful King morphs. I love the good old Cal Kings. The high white, striped and reversed stripes are beautiful morphs of Cal Kings, too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (07-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    In my limited experience (two kings, two milks), milk snakes need more consistent handling to stay well-behaved, while the kings are calmer by nature. However, I think our albino milk snake has vision issues that affect that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    my experience has been similar. I find adult milks (Honduran and Pueblan) to be more high strung than kingsnakes (California and Mexican Black).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (07-24-2017),Craiga 01453 (07-24-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast