Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,029

0 members and 3,029 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Different Types of Rat Snakes?

I've been looking into rat snakes recently, thinking about getting one but in my research I've noticed the name Texas and Grey rat snakes cone up a lot. At first I went on thinking that these were morphs but they way they are talked about make them seem like they are very different types. I couldn't find anywhere that showed the differences clearly other then say Greys are more aggressive. I was just wondering if there are any huge differences between the two and if there are other types I should be aware of as well as how to tell the difference between to two. I'm more versed in ball pythons so this site of thing is kinda new to me Any advice would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    There are tons of different kinds of rat snakes, the corn snake is actually considered a rat snake.

I've heard that Texas Rat snakes can be pretty aggressive, but I would think as long as you handle the snake gently for about 20 minutes every couple weeks or so it should tame down just fine. I really like the new scaleless Texas Rat snakes with the bright red colors. I'm tempted to get a pair myself. Looks like they are selling for around $300 each, not too bad.

PICTURE REMOVED to conform to TOS
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-23-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks

Re: Different Types of Rat Snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    There are tons of different kinds of rat snakes, the corn snake is actually considered a rat snake.

I've heard that Texas Rat snakes can be pretty aggressive, but I would think as long as you handle the snake gently for about 20 minutes every couple weeks or so it should tame down just fine. I really like the new scaleless Texas Rat snakes with the bright red colors. I'm tempted to get a pair myself. Looks like they are selling for around $300 each, not too bad.

Yeah, I saw a list of the types of eat snakes shortly after posting this and there are diffently a lot! XD And didn't realize the cornsnake was on there, that's interesting. From what I'm gathering it seems like if they don't specify the type then they just mean the common or black rat snake but idk for sure The care sheets on the ones I've seen aren't read aren't super different though so I guess it's not a huge deal. And that snake is gorgeous, I might look into them myself XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-23-2017 at 02:40 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Different Types of Rat Snakes?

There are about a half dozen subspecies of the common rat snake, Pantherophis obsoletus (formerly Elaphe obsoleta). There is a range map at http://people.wcsu.edu/pinout/herpetology/eobsoleta/.

I've only kept the black rat snake subspecies, but friends have kept Texas, yellow, and Everglades subspecies. Wild caught adult Texas and yellow rats are a bit more excitable than black rats, but IMO, just about any of the P. obsoletus subspecies can make an excellent pet if you start with a baby and handle daily for around 5 minutes (skip handling for 48 hours after feeding). Common rat snakes get bigger than corn snakes, but care is the same as that of an equal sized corn snake.