Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,314

2 members and 2,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Affordable/Small generator recommendations?

As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations on an affordable generator. I was lucky last year in that we only lost power a few times and it was no more than 2-3 hours at a time. I don't want to chance it this year. I'm looking for a portable generator that won't break the bank that can power 3-4 thermostats and a small freezer.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Are you in an apartment, townhouse, or single-family home?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Affordable/Small generator recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Are you in an apartment, townhouse, or single-family home?
    Single family home. House is a split level with a walk out lower level which is also where all the reptiles are kept so I can run an extension cord outside to the paver patio.

Thanks
    Easy then, you can pick up a decent one at a local Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc. I would suggest a gas-powered model around 5 kW. You could run another cord to the kitchen for that refrigerator/freezer, then switch it to the microwave for a few minutes if you want to heat up food or water for yourself.

Generator power is "dirty" and digital thermostats may not do well on it, so they will need to be plugged into a surge protector.

Make sure the exhaust is vented away from the house, you don't need to deal with CO poisoning.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a propane powered generator I can power my snake room, lights in the house, fridge, freezer exhaust fan and it was a little under $400

This is very similar to what I have https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsman...erator&veh=sem
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 11-06-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Herpstats won't run off my generator, so have a backup control method. Even if it's just a rheostat. The freezer will have draw a lot when the compressor first starts and could stall a smaller generator, just make sure there's enough overhead power available for the compressor in the freezer. 5k is a pretty standard rating that will run most households, but obviously that can change for household to household. Might be able to get with less, depends what your loads are.

Thanks

On a side note to Deb, BCR, Loser (lol).....

Do you know what amp service your home currently has? 100?

Not to threadjack anyone but I'm doing electric work on a home I'm setting up with a breeding room and I am curious what kind of power you guys already have?
    Last edited by KevinK; 11-06-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    If you are just looking for something small and quick for just your snakes and one small freezer I'd get something like this one. I have one that is similar, it is quiet, you can easily lift and carry it with one hand, and always starts right up. This one is about $250. I'd probably get this first, then get a bigger one that you need two people to lift for long term power outages to run most other stuff in the house. it's always nice to have two just in case one doesn't start. Don't forget the extension cords and power strips!

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Gene...31254C3M1S3CT4
    Last edited by cchardwick; 11-06-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks

First you need to determine the type of generator you want to purchase: conventional or inverter. An inverter generator can handle most electronic equipment and should be able to handle your thermostats without difficulty. The downside is they are a little more expensive. Personally, I have an inverter generator.

Then you need to determine how you want to power your generator: gasoline, natural gas or propane. Most small generators are gasoline powered. Another plus to the inverter generator is that they are generally more fuel efficient. My little Honda generator runs around 8 hours on 0.6 gallons of gas.

Lastly, you need to determine size. Your thermostats are not your issue. The heaters that are running on those thermostats are where all of the power is being consumed.

I have a little ultraquiet 1,000 watt Honda generator that has gotten me through two major hurricanes on Long Island where I lost power for over a week each time. We could run our refrigerator or a small oil filled heater on low or a big flat screen and dvd player for movie nights. If we had our pastel banana boi at the time, I doubt that I would have had any difficulty running his 215 watt UTH, Herpstat, and 40 watt CHE.

I would make a list of everything you want to power with your generator, with as much information about their energy consumption as you can find (if you look at an Ultratherm UTH you'll find the power requirements printed on the UTH), and then visit your local power equipment dealer and ask them to size the generator for you.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-10...FUhbDAod0hkCAw
    Last edited by larryd23; 11-06-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    On a side note to Deb, BCR, Loser (lol).....

Do you know what amp service your home currently has? 100?

Not to threadjack anyone but I'm doing electric work on a home I'm setting up with a breeding room and I am curious what kind of power you guys already have?
    Sorry for the late response, I just saw the question. I know we had 220 three-phase put in to support the machine shop, not sure what the house is.

Also I can't believe it needs to be said but we just had four people in my area die last night due to CO poisoning:
    DO NOT RUN A GENERATOR INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast