Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,009

3 members and 3,006 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Rhinoceros ratsnake - a Rhynchophis boulengeri bite

Hello. If anyone knows more about these snakes I would be grateful for a few tips. Month ago I got a pair of young ones under my care. I read all I could find about husbandry but little I could find about their toxin and possible bite. My boss scares me that im too crazy relaxed with them and if they bite me I would have to go to a hospital and that it hurts like hell.
    Is that true?
    I had some problems with blood coagulation years ago so im a tiny bit concerned.
    I don't get them out of the enclosure jet and they are a handfull when feeding so I have to be there until they finish swallowing food at the same time cause they might hurt eachother otherwise. One time the one finished first and rolled around the other one which was still eating, suffocating her.. I immediately sprayed her with water and she let go. Damn! So greedy.
    Guy who sold it to us said they can be together as a pair, Femaile and male.

I want to separate them while feeding to avoid possible injury to them and by doing so Need to know what a bite can cause.

Im not alergic to anything if that helps and not afraid of bites in general.

They are two curious cuties and I wish to know more.
    Thanks!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I've got one of these beauties

Mines a few years old and around 3' long but he's as soft as any Royal Python , very slow moving and gentle and NEVER tried to bite or strike or anything , he takes warmed up mice off tongs and that's the only time he opens his mouth

They're nonvenomous anyway and not even rear- fanged either as many seem to think so I wouldn't worry at all .

The only problem I can see is the one you've highlighted , feeding two snakes in the same Viv .

Makes sense to get one out ( the calmest most sedate one ) and feed it in a separate tub . Leave them apart for an hour or so to let the feeding instinct subside .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 07-22-2017 at 04:37 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Pitonica (07-22-2017),PokeyTheNinja (07-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Rhinoceros ratsnake - a Rhynchophis boulengeri bite

I'd start with researching Philodryas baroni, the species you pictured.. I did a quick google search and snagged you a couple links to get started. Note, I haven't read these, just picked a couple that looked like they'd interest me if I happened to find myself keeping these critters with no former experience.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...as-baroni.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23800999

Quote Originally Posted by Pitonica View Post
    Hello. If anyone knows more about these snakes I would be grateful for a few tips. Month ago I got a pair of young ones under my care. I read all I could find about husbandry but little I could find about their toxin and possible bite. My boss scares me that im too crazy relaxed with them and if they bite me I would have to go to a hospital and that it hurts like hell.
    Is that true?
    I had some problems with blood coagulation years ago so im a tiny bit concerned.
    I don't get them out of the enclosure jet and they are a handfull when feeding so I have to be there until they finish swallowing food at the same time cause they might hurt eachother otherwise. One time the one finished first and rolled around the other one which was still eating, suffocating her.. I immediately sprayed her with water and she let go. Damn! So greedy.
    Guy who sold it to us said they can be together as a pair, Femaile and male.

I want to separate them while feeding to avoid possible injury to them and by doing so Need to know what a bite can cause.

Im not alergic to anything if that helps and not afraid of bites in general.

They are two curious cuties and I wish to know more.
    Thanks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Pitonica (07-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Personally I would separate them ASAP. They will mature and go into breeding mode too early and without the proper body condition. I did that with some Arizona Mountain King snakes, I thought my female was going to die because she was so thin and wouldn't' eat because she went into breeding mode. If I were you I'd only put them together when they are fully mature and when they have a decent body weight. And with most snakes if they have eggs too young it can kill them, or so I've heard.

Those are some beautiful snakes by the way! Apparently the babies have a tough time feeding and will sometimes only take small fish! I've never heard anything about these being venomous, not even rear fanged.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 07-22-2017 at 09:24 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-22-2017),Pitonica (07-22-2017),PokeyTheNinja (07-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I've got one of these beauties

Mines a few years old and around 3' long but he's as soft as any Royal Python , very slow moving and gentle and NEVER tried to bite or strike or anything , he takes warmed up mice off tongs and that's the only time he opens his mouth

They're nonvenomous anyway and not even rear- fanged either as many seem to think so I wouldn't worry at all .

The only problem I can see is the one you've highlighted , feeding two snakes in the same Viv .

Makes sense to get one out ( the calmest most sedate one ) and feed it in a separate tub . Leave them apart for an hour or so to let the feeding instinct subside .

Thanks, will seperate them for sure. They look so cute indeed. Yours has nice long nose.. And the bright colour.. Beautiful display animal as they spend most of the time out on the branches looking what im doing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    I'd start with researching Philodryas baroni, the species you pictured.. I did a quick google search and snagged you a couple links to get started. Note, I haven't read these, just picked a couple that looked like they'd interest me if I happened to find myself keeping these critters with no former experience.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...as-baroni.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23800999
    Thank you, will read the links you attached, realised later I wrote the wrong name from google. In my country we call them (plural) - Barunke

Thanks

Thanks, will seperate them for sure. They look so cute indeed. Yours has nice long nose.. And the bright colour.. Beautiful display animal as they spend most of the time out on the branches looking what im doing

Mine is always alert as well 24/7 !

Stunning looking , great to handle as its so gentle and slow moving and isn't too large . The odd thing is if he likes a soak most days and if it's feeding time when he's in the bowl he gets the mouse and eats it under water !!

How cool !

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Cadance (09-09-2017),Craiga 01453 (07-22-2017),Pitonica (07-23-2017)

Thanks

Also if yours is a Philodryas baroni then I'm fairly certain they're rear-fanged and as such they are classed as mildly venomous !!

I was all set on getting one myself until I learnt that fact and being hyper-sensitive I couldn't risk getting bitten . Luckily I was able to source a Rhino Rat snake which are very , very similar but with cute little nose and are not rear fanged ..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Pitonica (07-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Also if yours is a Philodryas baroni then I'm fairly certain they're rear-fanged and as such they are classed as mildly venomous !!

I was all set on getting one myself until I learnt that fact and being hyper-sensitive I couldn't risk getting bitten . Luckily I was able to source a Rhino Rat snake which are very , very similar but with cute little nose and are not rear fanged ..

Damn.. Than I have to be carefull... if someone here from the forum was bitten by baroni snake would be great if he or she shared the experience

Thanks

Damn.. Than I have to be carefull... if someone here from the forum was bitten by baroni snake would be great if he or she shared the experience

I'd Google them and their bites to be honest . I'm sure there will be loads of experiences and photos .

One guy from a UK forum was bitten by a Hognose snake which are very common here in the UK and they are also rear-fanged and thus mildly venomous and he was taken to accident & emergency and was kept in for a short while .. He posted photos and kept us updated . Pretty sure he was nipped on a finger but the swelling and bruising spread up to his upper arm area plus he was off work for a while - guess it's like anything and every individual will react differently though . That said most Hognose keepers don't seem to mention the risks when they're selling on their Hoggies or the hatchlings which kinda irritates me to be honest ...
    Last edited by Zincubus; 07-23-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast