Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,873

0 members and 2,873 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Rhinoceros ratsnake - a Rhynchophis boulengeri bite

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    also rear-fanged and thus mildly venomous
    This association could land you in pretty hot water.

Thanks

I'd Google them and their bites to be honest . I'm sure there will be loads of experiences and photos .

One guy from a UK forum was bitten by a Hognose snake which are very common here in the UK and they are also rear-fanged and thus mildly venomous and he was taken to accident & emergency and was kept in for a short while .. He posted photos and kept us updated . Pretty sure he was nipped on a finger but the swelling and bruising spread up to his upper arm area plus he was off work for a while - guess it's like anything and every individual will react differently though . That said most Hognose keepers don't seem to mention the risks when they're selling on their Hoggies or the hatchlings which kinda irritates me to be honest ...
    That is the thing, haven't found much about the baroni bite on google.
    At work there is a lot of snakes and reptiles... a part of my job is to take care of all of them cause they said im really good at it so. ..
    Baroni bite situations I read today from the links John sent me here on the forum left me really worried.. I don't mind handling hognose i have, a bunch of ball phytons, rat snake water dragons and other reptiles but this is something else, the more I read about the bite situations the more I don't know how will I change the water and clean the poor snakes from now on.. I knew they are not a joke but I kept telling myself it will be nothing seriois even if a bite happens. My boss mentioned just pain and edema.. Bit looks like it can get much more worse than that.
    I do care about them and I feel like I am failing them now

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Rhinoceros ratsnake - a Rhynchophis boulengeri bite

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    This association could land you in pretty hot water.
    Everything I've read on rear-fanged snakes ( due to my hypersensitivity to more or less everything ) suggests they are all classed as mildly venomous - if you have some evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it and if you know of any rear-fanged that are proven to be not mildly venomous I'd probably be very interested in owning one .

This is the type of thing you see if you type in rear- fanged snakes ..... :- excuse the copy and paste ..

" The term “rear fanged” is applied to a variety of unrelated snakes that possess a venom-producing gland and 1-3 enlarged, grooved maxillary teeth in the rear of the mouth. We do not yet know how many species possess these venom-conducting teeth (“rear fangs”), but evidence indicates that snake venom evolved some 60 million years ago – before non-venomous snakes came into being. Therefore, all present day species may have evolved from venomous ancestors, and may possess at least the traces of venom glands - Quite often rear-fanged snakebites result in only mild reactions. Some rear-fanged species, however, have caused fatalities as there are at least two very “famous” fatalities ."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 07-23-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Everything I've read on rear-fanged snakes ( due to my hypersensitivity to more or less everything ) suggests they are all classed as mildly venomous -
    Not all species in these genera are deadly but there are some nasty enough that florida wildlife requires a colubridae specific venomous permit to possess them. You should research these to broaden your ideas on rear-fanged serpents. One that'll likely jump out at you early on is the boomslang, Dispholidus, a rear fanged snake that will surely put a world of hurt on you with or without hypersensitivity.

all reptiles in the family Colubridae belonging to the genera: Rhabdophis, Boiga, Dispholidus, Thelatornis, and Atractapsis
    Quote from FWC license page: http://myfwc.com/license/captive-wildlife/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Not all species in these genera are deadly but there are some nasty enough that florida wildlife requires a colubridae specific venomous permit to possess them. You should research these to broaden your ideas on rear-fanged serpents. One that'll likely jump out at you early on is the boomslang, Dispholidus, a rear fanged snake that will surely put a world of hurt on you with or without hypersensitivity.

Quote from FWC license page: http://myfwc.com/license/captive-wildlife/
    So you seemed to be an informed keeper - what's your take on rear-fanged snakes ?

Are they ALL classed as mildly venomous as I was led to believe or are you aware of any rear-fanged that are not at all venomous ??

Thanks

So you seemed to be an informed keeper - what's your take on rear-fanged snakes ?

Are they ALL classed as mildly venomous as I was led to believe or are you aware of any rear-fanged that are not at all venomous ??

I'm no expert!
    I'm pretty sure the boomslang has killed a few folks that didn't seek treatment, it's a rearranged colubrid, I may be wrong but I think the same can be said for the banded mangrove, but I'm not so sure there are recorded deaths from it.
    I feel sure there's others as I'm so inexperienced.
    painstakingly waiting...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12