Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

0 members and 2,859 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Making snake fang necklaces

Hey guys! Haven't posted anything in ages, though I still lurk around. I wanted to get yall's opinions on something - hopefully this is allowed. Money is really tight right now and I'm tired of eating nothing but ramen so I wanted to try to sell some homemade jewelry. Could you just tell me how much you think these are worth? Much obliged!

Real Western Diamondback Rattlesnake fangs in a glass vial, sort of curving around a center twig and some green foliage:

Tarantula fangs in a glass vial:

Only problem is I have no idea what the chains are made of because the package didn't say. It's probably silver-plated nickel or something. I have several other styles and things that I'm working on. I have some mamba fangs with tiny flowers on a black velvet backing that's been adhered to a silver pendant with resin. I also have some komodo dragon skin in a glass vial, some good-sized alligator teeth, and other miscellanious stuff. Everything is from animals that we've raised ourselves and has been naturally shed or dropped over the years.

Do you have any critiques/criticisms for me? Requests or suggestions? Please let me know how much you think I could charge for these. I did an Etsy and Pinterest search and couldn't find anything like what I'm offering so I have no idea what the price range should be. Purely because of the rarity of the animals / their body parts (doesn't that sound horrible? -lol-) I was thinking of asking around $35 for most. The komodo dragon skin may be worth more? Thanks!

Thanks
    The jewelry is cool and very unique. I would buy better chains for sure and charge more..I think you got something there.You could also sell those dangly things for car mirrors(like fuzzy dice). I would think about making earrings too, that would be cool a pair of fang earrings.

Well I reread your post(sometimes I skim) and you say they are naturally shed teeth. I had no idea that snakes lose their fangs.This made me look it up and lo and behold vipers shed their teeth every two months? Wow Who knew, I sure didnt.
    Last edited by Miranda2; 07-22-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks

Re: Making snake fang necklaces

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda2 View Post
    The jewelry is cool and very unique. I would buy better chains for sure and charge more..I think you got something there.You could also sell those dangly things for car mirrors(like fuzzy dice). I would think about making earrings too, that would be cool a pair of fang earrings.
    I was doing some reading about making and selling jewelry and found out that a lot of those chains are silver-plated (or whatever-plated) nickel and that a lot of people have nickel allergies. So, since the chains were a little too weak for my liking anyway, I've replaced the chain on all but one of the necklaces with either hemp cording or nylon (black in both cases). I personally think it looks nicer. It'll definitely hold up better, and I don't have to worry about anyone's allergies that way. The only down side is that these materials are cheaper to buy than the chains are, so I'm wondering if it decreases the value of the jewelry? I, personally, don't think it does because the black cording looks nicer and, in the end, it's all about aesthetics, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda2 View Post
    Well I reread your post(sometimes I skim) and you say they are naturally shed teeth. I had no idea that snakes lose their fangs.This made me look it up and lo and behold vipers shed their teeth every two months? Wow Who knew, I sure didnt.
    Didn't believe me, huh? "Are you callin' me a liar?!" Yeah, venomous snakes lose their fangs almost every time they shed, and then sometimes when catching prey or whatever. So we find teeth pretty much every time we clean cages. The jewelry pieces that have tarantula fangs or molts are obviously shed naturally, and the komodo dragon and gila monster skin is just normal lizard-shed skin. Gator teeth are constantly regrowing, and they'll lose teeth during eating (or fighting). So, everything I'm using is 100% cruelty-free and natural and - as I mentioned before - comes from my own animals so I KNOW that it's 100% cruelty-free.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindibun For This Useful Post:

Miranda2 (07-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Making snake fang necklaces

I'd post them on etsy for $35 and see how it fares. If it does "too well", you can raise the price", and if they don't sell, I'd lower the price by $5 increments.

This is a really neat idea though! I'd want the first one, because I like the shape and chain more, and that there's some green stuff! +1 for finding more chain varieties and colors, I personally prefer gold chains. Though I'm not sure how realistic that is... I don't know anything about buying jewelry materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post

Didn't believe me, huh? "Are you callin' me a liar?!" Yeah, venomous snakes lose their fangs almost every time they shed, and then sometimes when catching prey or whatever. So we find teeth pretty much every time we clean cages.
    That is super cool, I didn't know this!

ETA: Also I found similar little vials with greens and snake skulls, and they're going for $40 on etsy
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-24-2017 at 06:02 PM.