Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

0 members and 3,088 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Anyone use cypress mulch or more specific the Zoo Med cypress mulch

SO with the new T25s, I've been thinking of maybe trying something new for my big snakes. The only thing i really havent tried is cypress mulch. Been thinking of picking up the Zoo Med stuff. But i have been told by some people that the stuff has sharp splinters which can get stuck in the snakes mouth when it is eating causing problems. Anyone experience this? Also how is it for retics? The boas dont poop or piss that much but Caesar poops and pisses all over. Is the stuff easy to spot pisses on for spot cleaning?
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Re: Anyone use cypress mulch or more specific the Zoo Med cypress mulch

I tried it about a year ago. For the price I prefer coco products. I remember it being fairly dusty. There were quite a few big or sharp pieces but it was still pretty easy to spot clean. This was before I had my retic though. I'm mostly using Cypress now without any issues. But it's the big $3 bags of no float that reinz recommend a while back. Humidity is great and spot cleaning is easy just pick out all the big chunks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ShaneSilva For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (07-20-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I don't use cypress mulch because of the environmental impacts. Cypress forests are important to the health of the local ecosystem, protects those states from natural disasters, and as with any other type of forest provides homes for thousands of species of animals. The forests are nonrenewable, as they are currently completely unable to regenerate thanks to the water quality. In some areas it's illegal to buy/sell cypress because of this, though it's still widely available.

I've also had very little luck getting it to maintain humidity. It dries out completely within 24 hours even if I make it sopping wet (short of making it a swamp), and doesn't raise the relative humidity all that much. Once the chips/shreds dry out they're permanently hard and brittle, which can cause splinters, yes. Even aspen has worked better in my experience, without the hard brittle wood if left to dry. Of course, plenty of people have experienced the opposite, so it just really depends.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (07-20-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I don't use cypress mulch because of the environmental impacts. Cypress forests are important to the health of the local ecosystem, protects those states from natural disasters, and as with any other type of forest provides homes for thousands of species of animals. The forests are nonrenewable, as they are currently completely unable to regenerate thanks to the water quality. In some areas it's illegal to buy/sell cypress because of this, though it's still widely available.

I've also had very little luck getting it to maintain humidity. It dries out completely within 24 hours even if I make it sopping wet (short of making it a swamp), and doesn't raise the relative humidity all that much. Once the chips/shreds dry out they're permanently hard and brittle, which can cause splinters, yes. Even aspen has worked better in my experience, without the hard brittle wood if left to dry. Of course, plenty of people have experienced the opposite, so it just really depends.
    That's something to think about. I'm sure the Cypress consumption in the reptile community is much smaller than others but I guess even a small change counts.

Mind if I ask what kind of heat source you were using that dried out the Cypress? I've never had any issues but I've never used it with bulbs

1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I used it for years when I only had one snake and I agree with what has been said so far. Once it dries out, it's dry and doesn't take up water very easily again. It is also pretty dusty, and quite expensive. The big 8qt bag is $20 the cheapest I can get it locally. I'm switching to pro coco for when my t25 is set up. It is verifiably the same thing as reptichip. Found it on snakemuseum.com for $12.99/block before shipping.
    Cypress is worth a try if you've never given it a shot. I've just found that it's super wet out of the bag and will fog up your cage doors quickly but then once it's dry it's dry. I can hit the humidity sweet spot easier with coco products in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (07-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Thanks all. Think I'll probably skip it then. Sounds kind of like a lot of downsides and not many upsides that other stuff cant provide with less downside lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I've used Forest Floor for years. It is well shredded and always clean.

I've never had any issues between it and my snakes.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I used it for years when I only had one snake and I agree with what has been said so far. Once it dries out, it's dry and doesn't take up water very easily again. It is also pretty dusty, and quite expensive. The big 8qt bag is $20 the cheapest I can get it locally. I'm switching to pro coco for when my t25 is set up. It is verifiably the same thing as reptichip. Found it on snakemuseum.com for $12.99/block before shipping.
    Cypress is worth a try if you've never given it a shot. I've just found that it's super wet out of the bag and will fog up your cage doors quickly but then once it's dry it's dry. I can hit the humidity sweet spot easier with coco products in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pro coco is the way to go imo

1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ShaneSilva For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (07-20-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneSilva View Post
    That's something to think about. I'm sure the Cypress consumption in the reptile community is much smaller than others but I guess even a small change counts.

Mind if I ask what kind of heat source you were using that dried out the Cypress? I've never had any issues but I've never used it with bulbs

Flexwatt, in a tub with minimal ventilation. I've had no problem with EcoEarth or moss in those same set ups, but the cypress just didn't pull its weight.

And yeah, definitely not as much consumption for reptiles, but we should cut it out of our use wherever possible. Mulch for gardening/landscaping will definitely take up more of the global cypress consumption.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneSilva View Post
    Pro coco is the way to go imo

Agreed - I, and my snakes, are happy with it thus far. I use the Herptopia/Reptile prime. Keeps humidity, VERY absorbent, not fine like dirt but not too big of pieces either, and most importantly my snakes can burrow in it and I don't worry about them getting splinters. I've found 1 bag will fill a 4'x2' with about 2"-3" deep.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

ShaneSilva (07-21-2017)