Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,949

1 members and 1,948 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    There isn't a single monitor species or tegu that can go in a 4x2ft cage. These animals are incredibly active, plus as already stated they need at least a couple feet of dirt to dig into.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-02-2017)

Thanks
    Ever consider a blue tongue skink? An adult will fit in a 4'x2' cage. They don't need the height you mentioned... although they will climb a little, they are terrestrial.

BTS are easy to care for and have a good personality... I'd say similar to a monitor, but not nearly as hard to care for. They will dig, but don't need feet of substrate to do so.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Registered User Monitorlizardlover's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What reptile for a 4'8" L x 18" W x 3.5' H

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Ever consider a blue tongue skink? An adult will fit in a 4'x2' cage. They don't need the height you mentioned... although they will climb a little, they are terrestrial.

BTS are easy to care for and have a good personality... I'd say similar to a monitor, but not nearly as hard to care for. They will dig, but don't need feet of substrate to do so.
    I love them but my mom HATES them. She says she would rather I have 20 cats then on BTS

Thanks

Get a beardie

Since you want a monitor so bad maybe a beardie or uro would work. I know that they're a little wimpier but the make up for it in size and personality. Or you could try, I mean try to find some of the super tiny dwarf monitors and cram one of them in there. Personally, I would go with the first option as you would never be able to talk about that lizard on here without being crucified.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Planted terrarium with a bunch of little anoles running around in it would be really cool. Not exactly a WOAH species but if you do it right it would be really impressive.

Thanks

Re: Get a beardie

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Since you want a monitor so bad maybe a beardie or uro would work. I know that they're a little wimpier but the make up for it in size and personality. Or you could try, I mean try to find some of the super tiny dwarf monitors and cram one of them in there. Personally, I would go with the first option as you would never be able to talk about that lizard on here without being crucified.

Again THERE IS NOT A SINGLE MONITOR SPECIES THAT WILL SUSTAIN IN THAT CAGE. It is too small, you will not get the proper temperature gradient, nor be able to attain the correct husbandry set up. Monitors and Tegus are very active animals that will use every inch of their cage. They are nothing like a beardie, uro, BTS, or any other lizard.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123