Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,319

2 members and 3,317 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Raise temperature of thermostats?

OK. Both of my critters (Ball Pythons) now have a Jumpstart Thermostat controlling the UTH for their enclosures. I am happy with them but for one issue that concerns me.

I do not have air conditioning here at my house and the temps for the past few days have been in the mid-nineties during the day and drop to the low sixties at night. I was up early yesterday morning (around 5:30 a.m.) and noticed that the digital thermometers on both sides of both tanks were reading 75* (I am also using an overhead CHE for both of the enclosures controlled by an in-line dimmer). I then checked the inside temps of the warm hides with the infra-red heat thermometer and it only registered 80*. I had previously set the thermostat at 95* and, so far, it had seemed to be a good temperature for their enclosures. I am now unsure as to whether I should bump each one of them up a few degrees or, is 80* in a warm hide under these circumstances not worth worrying about.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

<><Peace

Thanks

Re: Raise temperature of thermostats?

Quote Originally Posted by dadofsix View Post
    OK. Both of my critters (Ball Pythons) now have a Jumpstart Thermostat controlling the UTH for their enclosures. I am happy with them but for one issue that concerns me.

I do not have air conditioning here at my house and the temps for the past few days have been in the mid-nineties during the day and drop to the low sixties at night. I was up early yesterday morning (around 5:30 a.m.) and noticed that the digital thermometers on both sides of both tanks were reading 75* (I am also using an overhead CHE for both of the enclosures controlled by an in-line dimmer). I then checked the inside temps of the warm hides with the infra-red heat thermometer and it only registered 80*. I had previously set the thermostat at 95* and, so far, it had seemed to be a good temperature for their enclosures. I am now unsure as to whether I should bump each one of them up a few degrees or, is 80* in a warm hide under these circumstances not worth worrying about.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

<><Peace
    If you don't have A/C in your home and the temps have been in the mid 90s during the day, I would not use any heat during the day time because it shouldn't be necessary. Usually July/August I give my electronics a "break" during the hot days. I used to have a jumpstart that I used with a UTH and found that, during cool days, I would have to set the thermostat almost to its max to get the desired hotspot in the tank. For the nights that get into the mid 60s I would just use the CHE to provide some higher ambient temps in the tank. 80 degrees inside the hide is fine as long as you get those temps up a bit during the day to provide a higher hot spot. However, I believe there has been some debate on here that BPS don't really need a hotspot and can do well in 84-85 degree ambient temps. Someone much more knowledgeable will probably come along soon to give you better info.