Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,831

1 members and 1,830 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Shows and cross contamination

So, I have a lot of babies this year. Other than my normal wholesale deal I have been considering actually going to a show. Deborah had written in another thread about fear of cross contamination which is high on my list for reasons not to retail. I am sure every breeder goes to a show with the intent of selling everything however I doubt that happens. How are you guys that sell at shows handling this issue when the animals have to go back home?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Many don't bother, or they may keep the animals available for sale separated in a different room from the core breeder/holdback group if they have the space.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (07-19-2017),PitOnTheProwl (07-20-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Would it be beneficial to treat the table and the deli containers with provent-a-mite then clean everything with F10 when you leave the show or is this overkill?
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Shows and cross contamination

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Would it be beneficial to treat the table and the deli containers with provent-a-mite then clean everything with F10 when you leave the show or is this overkill?
    Nope not over killed your main possible issue is mites hitch hiking from one person snakes onto potential customer and than on your table, not to mention some shows allow the general public to bring their pets.I would recommend to treat your display with PAM as well as your table cloths (many vendor do just that), ideally you want to quarantine your animals when they come back home but not everyone can do that.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (07-19-2017),PitOnTheProwl (07-20-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I don't think it's over kill either. I treat all my equipment with a good spray of PAM prior to the show. Once I arrive at the show I make sure that none of the tables on either side of me are touching in any way to my table and I give a quick spray of my table and the ends of the tables next to me. I usually am one of the 1st to arrive so the other tables next to me are empty.
    I also provide a big bottle of hand sanitizer for everyone that wants to handle any of my snakes. I also don't allow people to put items (other snakes purchased) down directly on my displays. Just have to be polite about it and most people are fine with it.
    I've been doing shows since 2009 and, knock on wood, never had an issue.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damage, Inc. For This Useful Post:

DLena (07-21-2017),JodanOrNoDan (07-20-2017),PitOnTheProwl (07-20-2017)

Thanks

I once had a flea infestation with a dog when I was in high school, and it completely ruined me and made me a freak about keeping things clean. I've never shown animals, but I'm VERY careful about bringing things home with me, even if I just went to look around. Speaking as a spectator and potential buyer, I love the vendors that put out the hand sanitizer and make it a point to tell people to use it before handling any of the animals. Or the vendors that put on a new set of gloves every time they handle an animal (which I do at home). To me, this is a sign of a good breeder, someone who cares about their own stock and the stock of others. Gives me the warm fuzzies about making a purchase too

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

DLena (07-21-2017),JodanOrNoDan (07-20-2017)