Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,405

2 members and 3,403 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Feeding Multiple Rodents vs Feeding ONE Right-Sized Rodent

I'm considering buying rodents online, but have the same problem as everyone else with only 1 or 2 snakes... shipping. But, in some ways, if I actually purchased the right amount of the right sized rodents, it would still be cheaper than local prices. But, with minimal packs being as much as 50 rodents, I don't see "the right amount of the right sized rodents" happening. Pinky/Fuzzy/Hopper mice are all $2/each here locally.

So, question is, if I overbought the sized rodents I need, is it bad to just give the snake two rodents to feed the right weight quantity, or should I really strive to feed one?

And, second, IF I feed 2 rodents, how much time should I give in between feeding each rodent?
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Re: Feeding Multiple Rodents vs Feeding ONE Right-Sized Rodent

My bull snake was raised on mice and when she started growing I tried rats but she never took, so I gave her two mice instead, now 18 years later she eats 5 mice at a time. So to answer your question it's absolutely fine to feed multiple smaller rodents and I don't wait, I throw all 5 on a log and she eats them back to back.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRust For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (07-19-2017),Godzilla78 (09-17-2017)

Thanks
    In my opinion, it depends on the snake. Some will happily take multiples, and others won't. Wanda my normal has taken multiples with no problem, but the previous owner of Cinnamon my Spider said he refuses multiples. My suggestion would be to buy a few from your local store to see if they will take it, and if they do it's a win
    1.1 Humans (Dom & Cait)
    0.1 Normal Ball (Wanda 'Booper') 0.1 Pastel Ball (Peaches)
    1.0 Spider Ball (Cinnamon) 1.0 Caramel Ball (Mars Bar) 1.0 Butter Sucker (Orion)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko (Hecate)
    0.3 Cats (Loki, Meg and Maisy)
    0.0.2 Goldfish (Sushi and Spot)
    0.2 Chickens (Lottie and Tiffany)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Booper For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (07-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I saw an experiment one snake breeder did and he fed multiple rodents vs one large one and compared growth rate of hatchling corn snakes. For some reason the snake that ate one large rodent grew twice as fast and was literally twice as big at the end of the experiment even though he ate the same weight of rodents. I found that fascinating. Both snakes were totally healthy though. I do notice when I give larger rodents to a snake it grows like a rocket!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (07-19-2017),Godzilla78 (09-17-2017),tttaylorrr (07-19-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I think you'll find that colubrids are very different from BPs, and definitely in this regard. My King wouldn't switch over to rats, but as far as mice, he will basically eat whatever I put in his enclosure. He's over 4 feet and 676 grams as of last week. He has eaten 3 lg adult (~20 grams) mice in one sitting, I just offered one after another (one was an unexpected BP refusal). He'll eat 2 lg adult mice often, he's even eaten a pinkie and a fuzzy refusal from my corn snake.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is, if your new MBK outgrows a prey item and you have some left, double up and they will be eaten. Maybe even just keep them in the freezer until the next size prey is getting almost too small. Then feed one of each??

Honestly, with a King, I highly doubt they will go to waste.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 07-19-2017 at 07:54 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (07-19-2017)

Thanks

I've been in your position. I ordered 50 small mice when I first got my bp and then very quickly realized I made a big mistake since he grew rather quickly I didn't want them to go to waste, so at one point he was eating 5 (hopper?) mice. I offered it after he realigned his jaw and his tongue was flicking again. That was my indicator that he was ready to take another one. He now eats 1 small medium rats every 10-12 days
    1.0 Coral Glow - Jumbi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jbzapanda For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (07-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I agree with what's already been said. I prefer to feed one prey item whenever possible but there's nothing wrong with feeding multiple prey items until your snake is ready to move up to the next prey size or if you have a few undersized feeders to finish off. My adult kings were pretty finicky when it came to rats so I gave them (2) jumbo mice or (1) jumbo mouse and a chick per feeding.

@ JRust- I couldn't imagine feeding my female bull snake mice. She'd need at least (6) jumbo mice for every meal vs. 1 large or jumbo rat. That would be a real pain.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (07-19-2017),Craiga 01453 (07-19-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I saw an experiment one snake breeder did and he fed multiple rodents vs one large one and compared growth rate of hatchling corn snakes. For some reason the snake that ate one large rodent grew twice as fast and was literally twice as big at the end of the experiment even though he ate the same weight of rodents. I found that fascinating. Both snakes were totally healthy though. I do notice when I give larger rodents to a snake it grows like a rocket!
    Interesting. I found the opposite to be true with my snakes (the ones I've fed multiples to anyways). When I fed my retic multiple weaned/small rats, she grew a lot faster than she ever did on a single large/colossal rat or x-small rabbit. She grew 1.5' in the matter of 2-3 weeks which she had never done before and hasn't replicated since (she's only grown 2'-3' in the ~1-1.5 years since). Other than that period in time, she hasn't gotten any multiples. I also noticed this in my BRB Sanji. When I was feeding him multiple hopper mice, he grew faster than he did on a single jumbo mouse or weaned rat, though not to the extreme of the retic. My garter Demigod gained weight extremely quickly on multiple pinkie mice and grew in length, too. Though at just over 4 years old, his growth has finally plateaued.

So for that reason I myself choose to avoid multiple prey items where possible, and prefer to feed an undersized meal until they grow large enough for the next size up. Which I have not had a problem with any of my snakes growing even on smaller meals, though I don't get the young monsters that other keepers do. Not that that's my goal.

As far as the feeder package size Charles8088, try ordering from a company that offers smaller package quantities, like Layne Labs or Perfect Prey.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 07-19-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-20-2017)

Thanks
    If you want to feed one prey item at a time, you can also play with feeding frequency. Last week my 3 yr. old King shed (8 days without feeding), and she took took 2 Jumbo Adults afterwards. Normally, she gets 1 Jumbo adult every five days (or, if you prefer, 2 every 10). This is basically in keeping with Brian Hubbs ("A Natural History of Common Kingsnakes") recommendation to feed around twice a week, at which point you feed one (or even two) "appropriately-sized" prey.

She's currently around 53 inches, and weighs right around 1000g.
    1.0 Purebred Python regius - "Percy"
    0.1 Lampropeltis getula holbrooki/splendida - "Olympias"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to scalrtn For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-23-2017)