Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,485

3 members and 3,482 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

What Is The Current State of the Market (2017)?

I've been out of it for a year and a half now. I got out because the market at the time was completely over saturated. I could barely sell any of my babies at the time. Common single genes like pastels, pins, and spiders didn't sell for much more than normals. Even Bananas were super low going for 200-300. And 2-3 genes animals were hardly selling as well.

So how are things now? I learned not to trust places like KS with their over inflated fantasy land pricing. There's people on there now trying to sell pastels for 100. Are things still bad? Have things settled?

I have no intentions of getting back in. I even sold my baby racks so I wouldn't be tempted. So this is just out of curiosity.
    - Mason

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts
    I have thus far this year sold everything I have hatched. granted that single gene animals with common genetics dont sell at more than $50-75 and bananas can be found at $150but I dont do it for the money (eve n if it is nice to make a profit) and I try to make more 2-3 gene animals than singles I would not say that anyone is going to get rich doing this. far from it. but my collection pays for its self.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StillBP For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-18-2017),MasonC2K (07-18-2017)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: What Is The Current State of the Market (2017)?

Quote Originally Posted by StillBP View Post
    I have thus far this year sold everything I have hatched. granted that single gene animals with common genetics dont sell at more than $50-75 and bananas can be found at $150but I dont do it for the money (eve n if it is nice to make a profit) and I try to make more 2-3 gene animals than singles I would not say that anyone is going to get rich doing this. far from it. but my collection pays for its self.
    I didn't do it for the money either. But in the end, I was putting more money in than out. If it couldn't support itself I couldn't justify it anymore as I didn't make enough in my day job to make up for the shortcomings. The became especially more true after my child was born.

As an aside, I used to wonder why some people up and quit over something they were passionate about. I get that now. Things happen. Priorities change.
    - Mason

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still the same only the people that are passionate, have a plan, know the market, know how to market themselves and their animals, invest and upgrade their collection, make money.

I have been making a profit doing this for several years (basically 2 ears after getting started) and I always sell out every year even though the sky has been falling for a decade now.

If you want to make it work you have to treat it like a business.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

StillBP (07-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Market overall hasn't changed much in years imo. A lot of single gene morphs seemed to plane off in the sub 200 dollar area, what would you expect? Right now I have 3 animals for sale from last year, 50 some eggs in the incubator so far already had 5 hatch. I am the worst offender of marketing laziness, I show up at a show once a month. I haven't sold online in years. Still seem to find homes for my animals, despite the market crashing for... what about 10 years I've been doing this now?
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 07-18-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks

Re: What Is The Current State of the Market (2017)?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Still the same only the people that are passionate, have a plan, know the market, know how to market themselves and their animals, invest and upgrade their collection, make money.

I have been making a profit doing this for several years (basically 2 ears after getting started) and I always sell out every year even though the sky has been falling for a decade now.

If you want to make it work you have to treat it like a business.
    I can't agree more. It's definitely not for the faint of heart...lol You basically get out of it what you put into it really. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.