Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,833

2 members and 2,831 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Worth $100 dollars? First Hognose

did you ever get your hog? If you like Colubrids they are cool. It is a snake that will hiss, head-butt and act like it hates you though, and they have a slight odor cause mice isn't there natural diet, but if your cool with that they have cool personalities. By the way that is not even close to being expensive for any snake. That's the bottom of the hobby pricing. Putting a price on a living creature can be tricky it's something that will rely on you for every possible need for up to over 20 years sometimes so it's important to get the one you really want even if you have to wait and save. Either way wish you the best!

Thanks

100 is the absolute lowest price in the snake hobby. Very far from expensive, if you like colubrids you will like hogs. They will hiss and mock strike and act like they hate you and can have a slight odor due to mice not being their natural diet but they have cool personality for sure! Good luck

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

They're cute as hell but as usual nobody mentions the little elephant in the room

Sadly Hoggies are "rear-fanged" and are mildly venomous . Everyone reacts different to bits and stings but it's best to know , surely .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Louv44 View Post
    did you ever get your hog? If you like Colubrids they are cool. It is a snake that will hiss, head-butt and act like it hates you though, and they have a slight odor cause mice isn't there natural diet, but if your cool with that they have cool personalities. By the way that is not even close to being expensive for any snake. That's the bottom of the hobby pricing. Putting a price on a living creature can be tricky it's something that will rely on you for every possible need for up to over 20 years sometimes so it's important to get the one you really want even if you have to wait and save. Either way wish you the best!
    I decided to wait until the next reptile show near me..which is this Saturday last time I saw these cute hoggies for $50!! I hadn't decided I wanted one at that point so I missed that opportunity, but I'm hoping they will be there or more this time. I heard that there should be so I'm excited. The one I saw there looked like an axanthic (sp?) Which is why I wasn't sure about the prices online. They are definitely much more expensive plus the shipping adds up! I also would really really love to hold my future pet which is why I waited. I definitely feel in love with JMG reptile's hognose but maybe he'll still be there if I find anything at this show. I'll definitely be getting one soon and if so I'll let you guys know!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    They're cute as hell but as usual nobody mentions the little elephant in the room

Sadly Hoggies are "rear-fanged" and are mildly venomous . Everyone reacts different to bits and stings but it's best to know , surely .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Haha I definitely have done my research! Plus I've watched every western hognose YouTube video that exists. I am not a 🐝-sting fan but I'll risk it for one if these sassy-pants. I can handle any sass after having my territorial corn snake 😅 what a lil butt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to crosskira For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-11-2017)

Thanks
    I had a male hog that I had to rehome due to feeding issues... The breeder said he took unscented f/t, which he did for about 2 months when I got him home... Then he went on a months' long hunger strike. I tried everything... scented with every possible thing that was recommended. In the end, he would only take live and only rat pinks or mice. IMO, if you want to get a hognose, get a well-started (i.e. juvie) female (I've heard they tend to feed better than males) that is feeding well on f/t unscented from tongs. I loved my little guy, but dealing with the feeding issues just stressed me out too much. He is now in a home that breeds live mice and rats for him, so is doing a lot better. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with an older female.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12