Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,756

1 members and 1,755 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

CHE/RHP with a tub?

Hey, all! Wanted to ask for suggestions on how one might set up a CHE/RHP for a tub setup. I don't need it now, but I know I will in the winter months because it gets way cold inside and my heater isn't able to keep up. (I have the benefit of layers and blankets, but unfortunately, snake friend will not.)

So, here's the question: how might one attach a CHE or a RHP to a tub lid? I'm pretty sure the CHE would melt the plastic if kept on the outside, and prove completely ineffective as well. I've thought that maybe I could punch out a hole about an inch larger in diameter than the lamp and then put mesh wire on top of it (iffy about how to attach this right now), and then put the CHE on top of that... But I'm also wondering how to set up a RHP, and if that would be more effective? Would I just have to drill holes in the lid and then attach it that way? Trying to think of what would be most effective and safe... Thoughts?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Neither are a good idea if you want to use a tub use a UTH
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (07-18-2017)

Thanks

Re: CHE/RHP with a tub?

How cold will the room get?

As you said, a CHE can't be used in the tub. You can use it on the outside by keeping it a safe distance and using a thermostat to regulate it.

I believe there may be a small number who have used an RHP. You can't mount it directly to the lid since 1) it may bow and 2) the RHP may melt the lid. You would have to attach a piece of wood or something to the inside of the lid so you have something to mount to.

I've used a space heater with a fan in the past to raise the air temperature around some tubs. Again - the heater was regulated with a thermostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I've used a lamp or che over a tub many times for temporary setups.

I always used a lamp stand to keep a safe offset from the plastic. Then you can use a tstat, dimmer, or distance to control the heat delivered.

I have had good luck with distance but I have steady temps in my home so that works for me. If your temps will have much fluctuation I recommend a tstat or dimmer at least.

With the ZooMed lamp stand you can raise and lower the fixture as needed. Of course brining the fixture closer delivers more heat while moving the fixture farther away reduced it.

The lamp stand are $20 at both big box pet stores in a yellow box.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Neither are a good idea if you want to use a tub use a UTH
    I do have a UTH; however, that won't work if the ambient temperature in the room is closer to 70 degrees, as far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    How cold will the room get?

As you said, a CHE can't be used in the tub. You can use it on the outside by keeping it a safe distance and using a thermostat to regulate it.

I believe there may be a small number who have used an RHP. You can't mount it directly to the lid since 1) it may bow and 2) the RHP may melt the lid. You would have to attach a piece of wood or something to the inside of the lid so you have something to mount to.

I've used a space heater with a fan in the past to raise the air temperature around some tubs. Again - the heater was regulated with a thermostat.
    The house thermostat's usually set around 74 (maybe colder in the winter because for some reason the heater takes more power than the A/C, even though they're the same unit?????), but I'd guess that actual temps were closer to 70/72 or a little lower last winter, because it was NOT 74 lemme tell yah. Cold house is cold :/.

I didn't even think about bowing of the lid, dang. Thanks for pointing that out. So, maybe space heater. I can live with that . (Warms for me too, haha!)

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I've used a lamp or che over a tub many times for temporary setups.

I always used a lamp stand to keep a safe offset from the plastic. Then you can use a tstat, dimmer, or distance to control the heat delivered.

I have had good luck with distance but I have steady temps in my home so that works for me. If your temps will have much fluctuation I recommend a tstat or dimmer at least.

With the ZooMed lamp stand you can raise and lower the fixture as needed. Of course brining the fixture closer delivers more heat while moving the fixture farther away reduced it.

The lamp stand are $20 at both big box pet stores in a yellow box.
    Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. More research, ahoy!

Thanks
    Hi, I made that, a tub with an RHP. It was an experiment, with some conclusions for me. Look at my thread chicken RHP with snake tub. Actually, it was a drawer typ of tub. I had run into some problems, but I would say it could be done. If you are not afraid of experimenting�� I can post a photo later
    if you would like to. I cut out the top Case of the box, covered with mash, and put the RHP on top of it. My problems came from it was a low output RHP, only 15 W, which didnt raise the temp Enough for a ball (for an arboreal might work). The other problem came from the RHP was quite big in comparison for the tub, so an adequate thermo gradient could not be reached. But It was a juvie tub. So, learning from my experience I would say, a regular (75-120 W)RHP with an adult plastic box could work. The box should have some hight, 20-30 cm at least. I would put the RHP outside, on top of the lid cut out and covered with mash. And as told you above, an RHP could be heavy, so you might need something not the plastic lid to hold its weight.
    0.1 piebald 0.1 ultramel 0.1 butter pastel 66% het ultramel
    0.1 ragdoll

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerol For This Useful Post:

Starscream (07-18-2017)

Thanks
    The best guide I've seen for installing a CHE in a tub is here. What I'm intending to do when I move to a tub in winter, b/c it's just not viable to heat to 75+ or more when it can get down to -50 at times.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

Starscream (07-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerol View Post
    Hi, I made that, a tub with an RHP. It was an experiment, with some conclusions for me. Look at my thread chicken RHP with snake tub. Actually, it was a drawer typ of tub. I had run into some problems, but I would say it could be done. If you are not afraid of experimenting�� I can post a photo later
    if you would like to. I cut out the top Case of the box, covered with mash, and put the RHP on top of it. My problems came from it was a low output RHP, only 15 W, which didnt raise the temp Enough for a ball (for an arboreal might work). The other problem came from the RHP was quite big in comparison for the tub, so an adequate thermo gradient could not be reached. But It was a juvie tub. So, learning from my experience I would say, a regular (75-120 W)RHP with an adult plastic box could work. The box should have some hight, 20-30 cm at least. I would put the RHP outside, on top of the lid cut out and covered with mash. And as told you above, an RHP could be heavy, so you might need something not the plastic lid to hold its weight.
    Ah, yeah, so RHP are pretty heavy then. My lid seems fairly sturdy, but it hasn't been tested and I'd rather not risk its integrity. Not sure what the RHP could sit on if not the lid..... That'll take some thinking. And sure, I'd love to see a photo -- I'm more of a visual person anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by hollowlaughter View Post
    The best guide I've seen for installing a CHE in a tub is here. What I'm intending to do when I move to a tub in winter, b/c it's just not viable to heat to 75+ or more when it can get down to -50 at times.
    That's actually exactly what I was considering with the CHE. Good to know someone else has already had success with it, and it's worth giving a shot!

Thanks
    Just as a little update, I have decided on the CHE route, and purchased a 100W CHE and some clamp lamps. I'm considering purchasing another tub of the same size as my enclosure to test things on, and so I can safely cut out a hole in the lid without leaving room for escape artists while the modified lid fumigates. Probably the most practical thing to do, y'know?

I might post some pics of progress if anyone's interested, but honestly I might not even remember by the time I get to it lmao.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej