Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,756

2 members and 2,754 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SD retic

Registered User flyfishing-falconer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: SD retic

I agree with everything y'all have said.
    I was not clear about one thing, I forgot to say in the future.
    I don't plan on it for a while, it is a interest but I know it is not a good idea to get one yet.
    I am sorry for the Miss understanding.
    Also, I looked around here and saw that the $30 dollar one was not recommend so I was going to get a nicer one.
    And last but not least I have had a BP for about six months that but have had a snake or been around them my whole life. So I know how much work they are.
    Have a good day.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to flyfishing-falconer For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (07-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I'll actually have some lavender albino babies for sale in a couple years if you are interested. I'm waiting about a year and a half to pair them up, probably in the fall of 2018 with hatchlings in 2019. I'll probably sell them for $750 or so, that should give you some time to save up for it if you are interested. The cross will be:

Female white albino: 50% Jampea Dwarf, 50% Mainland
    X
    Male purple albino 37.5% SD, 50% Jampea Dwarf, and 12.5% mainland
    =
    So the babies would be lavender albino 18.75 SD, 50% Jampea, 25% Mainland.

What you really want to look for is the percent of mainland blood. I'm guessing these babies with only 25% mainland may be about the same size as a SD with 50% mainland blood.

By the time these are paired up and hatch out and a reasonable sized snake it will be about three years out, if you are only 15 now you'll be 18 by the time these start getting sizeable, perfect timing!

By the way, I don't use paper substrate with my retics and chase the mess every few days like most people. I use a thick layer of coconut husk substrate, maybe 4 inches deep. I only have to clean out the tub every 6 weeks. I spot clean probably twice a week. Works great. And I never have to scrub down the tub like I see everyone do, the coconut husk keeps all the mess separated from the plastic tub, I just remove the coconut husk and lightly spray and wipe down the tub. Usually I just scoop it out by hand followed by using a vacuum cleaner for the rest, spray wipe and fill it back up with fresh substrate. It's a monster tub about five feet wide and takes a whole 10 pound block of Reptichip, so it costs me about $17 per month. Big rats don't cost that much either, I'd say maybe $3 each from a local breeder, I'd say you are looking at about $30 per month to house and feed a large snake like this (about $360 per year). You can use cheaper substrate and come out ahead but you will be doing a lot more labor compared to coconut husk. I'd rather pay the extra money and not have to chase the mess all the time. My retics are as low maintenance as my ball pythons with my setup.

Here's a photo of my female white phase albino 50% Jampea dwarf.

Last edited by cchardwick; 07-18-2017 at 07:55 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (07-18-2017),dkatz4 (07-18-2017),DLena (07-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishing-falconer View Post
    I agree with everything y'all have said.
    I was not clear about one thing, I forgot to say in the future.
    I don't plan on it for a while, it is a interest but I know it is not a good idea to get one yet.
    I am sorry for the Miss understanding.
    Also, I looked around here and saw that the $30 dollar one was not recommend so I was going to get a nicer one.
    And last but not least I have had a BP for about six months that but have had a snake or been around them my whole life. So I know how much work they are.
    Have a good day.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Good outlook.
    See where life takes you and keep it on the back burner.

You have time!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post

By the way, I don't use paper substrate with my retics and chase the mess every few days like most people. I use a thick layer of coconut husk substrate, maybe 4 inches deep. I only have to clean out the tub every 6 weeks. I spot clean probably twice a week. Works great. And I never have to scrub down the tub like I see everyone do, the coconut husk keeps all the mess separated from the plastic tub, I just remove the coconut husk and lightly spray and wipe down the tub. Usually I just scoop it out by hand followed by using a vacuum cleaner for the rest, spray wipe and fill it back up with fresh substrate. It's a monster tub about five feet wide and takes a whole 10 pound block of Reptichip, so it costs me about $17 per month. Big rats don't cost that much either, I'd say maybe $3 each from a local breeder, I'd say you are looking at about $30 per month to house and feed a large snake like this (about $360 per year). You can use cheaper substrate and come out ahead but you will be doing a lot more labor compared to coconut husk. I'd rather pay the extra money and not have to chase the mess all the time. My retics are as low maintenance as my ball pythons with my setup.
    That is a really interesting strategy. "litter box" maintenance is one of my main concerns re. retics, i'll definitely be keeping this in mind when the time comes.
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

SD retic

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I'll actually have some lavender albino babies for sale in a couple years if you are interested. I'm waiting about a year and a half to pair them up, probably in the fall of 2018 with hatchlings in 2019. I'll probably sell them for $750 or so, that should give you some time to save up for it if you are interested. The cross will be:

Female white albino: 50% Jampea Dwarf, 50% Mainland
    X
    Male purple albino 37.5% SD, 50% Jampea Dwarf, and 12.5% mainland
    =
    So the babies would be lavender albino 18.75 SD, 50% Jampea, 25% Mainland.

What you really want to look for is the percent of mainland blood. I'm guessing these babies with only 25% mainland may be about the same size as a SD with 50% mainland blood.

By the time these are paired up and hatch out and a reasonable sized snake it will be about three years out, if you are only 15 now you'll be 18 by the time these start getting sizeable, perfect timing!

Here's a photo of my female white phase albino 50% Jampea dwarf.

I'd be surprised if you could get $750 for a hatchling as a new retic breeder in a very saturated market. Especially a couple years from now as prices will continue to drop for single gene morphs. Sure, that's what vital exotics roughly prices theirs at, but they are a very well established retic breeding operation with years of experience in breeding a variety of reptiles.
    Also, your math is off. The babies will be 18.75% SD, 50% dwarf, 31.25% mainland with the parents percentages where they are. That's still got some serious growth potential and should be expected.
    $3/large or xl rat is a freaking bargain price. And that's provided the OP has access to a rat breeder locally. Expect it to be at least double or even triple that price from a pet store which is a more likely scenario for most keepers. I pay $7-8 large and xl and where I'm moving an xl frozen rat is $8.99. Could order online but then there is the issue of having to order in large quantities and have a place to store a couple hundred dollars worth of feeders.
    Not trying to knock ya, just being realistic about things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-18-2017 at 01:52 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-18-2017),Sauzo (07-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I paid £250 last summer for my SD Purple Albino for what it's worth ( UK )

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I paid £250 last summer for my SD Purple Albino for what it's worth ( UK )

So about $325 American after asking google...
    Sound about right?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    $3/large or xl rat is a freaking bargain price. And that's provided the OP has access to a rat breeder locally. Expect it to be at least double or even triple that price from a pet store which is a more likely scenario for most keepers. I pay $7-8 large and xl and where I'm moving an xl frozen rat is $8.99. Could order online but then there is the issue of having to order in large quantities and have a place to store a couple hundred dollars worth of feeders.
    Holy Carp! Dude, get yourself a small chest freezer off Craigslist and order online, rabbit is $2/pound. Or hit up local backyard rabbit, chicken, and quail producers, you can find them in Facebook groups, and they'll gladly sell you their culls.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Holy Carp! Dude, get yourself a small chest freezer off Craigslist and order online, rabbit is $2/pound. Or hit up local backyard rabbit, chicken, and quail producers, you can find them in Facebook groups, and they'll gladly sell you their culls.
    Yeah, I know, steep prices. Where do you order your rabbits from at $2/lb? I'm moving to a small town in Mississippi with very few options for frozen feeders and am having trouble finding local backyard breeders. I have recently been considering getting a chest freezer and ordering bulk from rodent pro or similar online feeder suppliers. Open to suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Yeah, I know, steep prices. Where do you order your rabbits from at $2/lb?
    Monster Feeders / Matthew Martin out of MN. I would get a chest freezer and have a filled 65 pound box shipped, you'll come out way ahead. Since your two SD's are still young I would ask for a size range based on what they'll be growing into over the next few months. You can get rats for the BP too.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-18-2017),jmcrook (07-18-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast