Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,509

1 members and 2,508 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

red spots on albino ball python - looks like blood

My sons and I have an albino ball python, purchased about 4 weeks ago from reputable local store. I don't recall exactly when, but perhaps 2 weeks ago we started noticing some red/pink spots which are getting worse. They look almost like blood spots. He just finished shedding but the spots still exist after shedding.

We have him in a 20 gallon long tank with a low wattage Zoo-Med heat pad. Just bought a thermostat but have not hooked it up yet, plan on it within a day or 2. Humidity seems to be around 65 according to one of those stick-on gauges. I don't recall the bedding type, but the dealer recommended it (not aspen). We plan on replacing the bedding with aspen in the next day or so for the heck of it.

A few weeks ago we found he was burrowing to the glass and perhaps getting too hot, but since then we added some substrate and have not found him near the glass again.

His temperament seems fine, he's usually very friendly with only the occasional time he's told us he wasn't in a good mood by hissing.

We feed him thawed mice, tonight will be the 3rd time (skipped the first week).

I'm looking for advice on what this might be, my sons and I are very concerned. I've found a couple of posts with similar type spots but no concrete resolutions that I could find. A couple said high humidity, but I don't think that's the case here.

Here are some pics:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: red spots on albino ball python - looks like blood

beginnings of a burn?? i'm no expert on injuries but if you're running a UTH unrelated PLEASE unplug it.

why haven't you connected the thermostat?
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-18-2017),PokeyTheNinja (07-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    beginnings of a burn?? i'm no expert on injuries but if you're running a UTH unrelated PLEASE unplug it.

why haven't you connected the thermostat?
    We had just gotten it and just hadn't installed it yet. Actually just finished installing it tonight. Everyone around here (local stores) said with the UTH we didn't need a thermostat, so I did not know. Bought one after reading online.

So many differing opinions on how to install. I ended up taping the probe to the bottom of the heat pad. I will have to experiment with the thermostat setting to get the desired temp inside the enclosure I assume. Enclosure has a grated top.

We have a large hide placed over where the heating pad is. I read 90 degrees is ideal on the warm side (I assume under the hide?). I have a heat gun to check the temps. Should I be checking the temp of the bedding when I lift the hide? If not, what is the best place to check the temp with a heat gun?

Thanks for the response. Still learning here.
    Last edited by Kremlar; 07-17-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kremlar View Post
    We had just gotten it and just hadn't installed it yet. Actually just finished installing it tonight. Everyone around here (local stores) said with the UTH we didn't need a thermostat, so I did not know. Bought one after reading online.

So many differing opinions on how to install. I ended up taping the probe to the bottom of the heat pad. I will have to experiment with the thermostat setting to get the desired temp inside the enclosure I assume. Enclosure has a grated top.

We have a large hide placed over where the heating pad is. I read 90 degrees is ideal on the warm side (I assume under the hide?). I have a heat gun to check the temps. Should I be checking the temp of the bedding when I lift the hide? If not, what is the best place to check the temp with a heat gun?

no worries, this is the best place on the INTERNET to learn about beeps. i'm so sorry about your bby, he looks like my Yellow and it hurt to see those spots. there are many knowledgeable ppl here with DECADES OF experience and they've seen it all. listen to them about the injury.

ALL heat sources MUST be regulated! this is non-negotiable. please do not take advice from those who told you otherwise; there are plenty of threads here which show severe burns and even deaths from unregulated heating. whether by thermostat or rheostat, all heat sources must be regulated to protect your snake as well as your home.

the probe should be sandwiched between the UTH and the bottom of the enclosure. this is where the reading will be most accurate. on the outside of the UTH can create variables which may mess with the reading. if your UTH is adhesive you can GENTLY GENTLY peel a corner off and place the UTH, using aluminum tape to secure the UTH back in place.

using your temp gun you should measure the BOTTOM of the enclosure under the substrate. the snake can and will burrow no matter how much substrate you put there. the substrate over the UTH should be more than 1/4" thick as the trapped heat can build up and rise to high temps.

i would consider using paper towel as substrate to keep the environment as sterile as possible, and change it with EVERY soiling. like i said i'm no injury expert, so hopefully other chime in, but i know with injuries you need to keep everything 100% clean.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 07-17-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: more info
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Booper (07-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (07-18-2017),PokeyTheNinja (07-18-2017)

Thanks

***substrate should be no more than 1/4"
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    tttaylorrris spot-on, get that heat mat regulated before the snake goes back into the tank. Also, paper towel is the only substrate you should use until his condition is completely cleared up. Not only are they much cleaner than wood shaving to begin with, but they stay cleaner and maintain a cleaner environment because they dont harbor bacteria and mold as readily as wood shavings do. Further, they will not irritate the sores or burns or whatever they are (i wish i could be more helpful in IDing the issue) with dust and particulate like wood, and finally, they effectively show evidence of improvement or deterioration in the snakes condition because you can easily blood or puss, or hopefully the lack thereof.
    Besides that, i highly reccomend you ditch the stick-on dial for humidity and/or temperature readings, they are horribly inaccurate - i know from hard-learned experience - a very popular option for budget minded herpers (like myself) is this digital thermometer/hydrometer form AcuRite, you can get them on amazon for around $15. I was shocked at how inaccurate my dial hydrometer was when i got the digital one, and because its indoor/outdoor (it has a probe for the second temp reading) you can track your warm side and your cool side with the one unit. Dang, i should be getting a commission from AcuRite for this post.
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (07-18-2017),tttaylorrr (07-17-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    You're in good hands with tttaylorrr. She has already said pretty much what I would have said.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (07-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kremlar View Post
    OP could you give us a rundown of your husbandry? thermometer/hygrometer (ambient) readings, type of substrate, how often you clean and how, hotspot reading, decorations or anything that could be sharp. i've been researching like crazy but i need to know this info to rule some stuff out.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 07-18-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

On setting up your probe for the Uth/stat.

That's the beginnings of a burn.
    Some husbandry details will really help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BMorrison For This Useful Post:

Booper (07-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (07-18-2017),halfnakedlife (08-04-2017),PokeyTheNinja (07-18-2017)

Thanks
    I thought I would ask, you said the substrate wasnt aspen..Was it a wood type or possibly colored sand? I have seen this type of thing with lizards kept on those calcium colored sand..