Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,150

0 members and 3,150 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Bioactive or Not

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bioative Setup

3 60.00%
  • Regular Setup

2 40.00%
    Thanks

Question Consensus on Bioactive Setups?

Hey everone, I was browsing Youtube and stumbled across a couple of videos on Ball Python enclosures that were bioactive. (For those unfamiliare with bioactive setups, it is basicly a tank with soil/leaf litter, live plants, and springtails/isopods as a cleanup crew for the tank). This kind of setup looks awesome and the pythons seem to enjoy it. I may try it with my own way down the line (like not until a year or 2), but I'm thinking of a couple of concerns.

1. Would using the soil cause any impaction? (even though it seems most people cover it completely with leaf litter)

2. Would the plants make it so that the humidity is too high?

3. Would the springtails and isopods bother the ball python at all?

4. Would belly heat be a viable heat source because heat lamps may burn the plants or would I need one of the side mounted tank heaters (forgeting the name of them)?

5. Would tank size become an issue with the clutter of the plants? (I have a 40g now)

Anyone who uses these setups, all the information in the world would be appriciated
    Last edited by Ragtag; 07-22-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks
    I'm also considering the same thing, and by considering I mean I will definitely do it after some time and research.

1. People seem to use a mix of substrates and soil is generally a part of that mix. I don't have the mix down yet, but I always remind myself of where my bp is naturally from.

2. I'm still trying to figure out the second question. Moreso what type of cage would give the best environment for both the plants and the bp.

3. I've wondered this but I think once a bp settles and realizes there is no threat it would probably be fine.

4. I was planning to stick a UTH on the side of the tank, make the substrate slightly shallower down there (sloping up) and creating a hide with cork coming out from there. This is supposed to create the hot hide and heat the soil in that area, but I would suggest trying to research that more if you are not sure, since I have not tried it yet either

5. I was going to do mine in a 40 also! I've seen people have success with certain plants in terms of withstanding the snakes weight but I'll get back to you on this one!

Thanks

Re: Consensus on Bioactive Setups?

My MAIN concern right now is the heat. In my current setup I have a UTH temp controlled at 90, and a heat lamp on a dimmer to control the air temp at a steady 80-82 tank wide. Now using the UTH on the side like stated seems fine for bioactive and seems viable, but the air temp seems to be the tricky part since my home is kept at 77 degrees and the humidity would make it drop in temp.