Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,868

2 members and 2,866 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Are ball pythons bothered by red or blue light?

I'm getting my first ball python this week (not a baby) and I'm in the process of setting up my 40-gallon terrarium. I have my heat mat and thermostat with it of course but I also have a light fixture to use a couple bulbs. Are BPs bothered by those red or blue lights at Petsmart? I'd like to have them as a second heat source on a light dimmer I have and also because they look nice lol. What watt should I use and do I put the lamp fixture on the hot side with the heat matt?

Thanks

Re: Are ball pythons bothered by red or blue light?

I use the night bulb from petsmart, the bulb is blue but the light of more purple lol. It works just fine. The light is very subtle and not harsh, like moonlight and i doubt my little one even notices and if he does he doesn't mind. I personally use a 75 watt, i originally had 100 watt but it was a bit to hot and i would have to pin up the lamp but i have a 20 gallon so it might work different for you. I personally put the fixture on the hot side but I've also seen people put it in the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Are ball pythons bothered by red or blue light?

There's a pic just to show what I mean by the soft light It looks blue of camera but a lot purple blue in real life XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BluuWolf; 07-17-2017 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Pic messed up

Thanks
    I've heard it both ways, so I'll give the contrarian opinion.

Lights, red or blue, still disrupt the BP's night cycle, which can lead to stress and agitation. A lightless option would be a CHE, if you need to raise ambient temps. Red is better than blue. It'll depend on your snake's reaction to it; if you observe stress behaviors like "pacing" and "glass skating" you may need to change bulbs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I use red and she doesn't seem to care at all.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Re: Are ball pythons bothered by red or blue light?

Quote Originally Posted by kodexi View Post
    I'm getting my first ball python this week (not a baby) and I'm in the process of setting up my 40-gallon terrarium. I have my heat mat and thermostat with it of course but I also have a light fixture to use a couple bulbs. Are BPs bothered by those red or blue lights at Petsmart? I'd like to have them as a second heat source on a light dimmer I have and also because they look nice lol. What watt should I use and do I put the lamp fixture on the hot side with the heat matt?
    I have a 100w night bulb(the purple one) on a dimmer so it's even less noticable. It seems to work for my little guy.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I stick ot the dark purple lights. You almost can't tell it's on, even at night.

Thanks
    I used a red bulb for a good while and had no issue. Eventually my snake started getting super stressed and lying outside the hide, not eating, and moving during the day. I ended up changing to a regular Ceramic Heat Emitting bulb, and the issues stopped. To be fair I also moved the hides around and hung a few vines from the roof of the viv, so don't know which thing was key, but after it all I never had another issue

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are talking about hear lights, they can't see the red ones. If you mean display, then go with a black light. They can't see those either.
    Last edited by MasonC2K; 07-20-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    - Mason