Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,214

3 members and 3,211 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Single tub setup?

I'm planning to get another BP soon, and don't want to spend $$$ on another cage - especially since I will eventually switch to a rack. I keep seeing people recommend getting a single tub in these cases, so that is probably what I'll do. But since I've never used a tub, I have a few questions about the setup.

I've already done a search on this topic, and saw that you can use a UTH on them... will this provide enough heat in a cold room? My bedroom can get REALLY cold all year long, which is why my other tanks have overhead lights as well. But if I remember correctly, tubs keep the heat a little better? Not sure how I'd use a light on a tub, anyway, so I guess 2 UTHs would be the other option. Second question, how do I provide air flow? Am I supposed to drill holes, and if so how many (approx) and how big? I'll be getting a sterilite tub, if that makes any difference. Finally, do you have to use 2 hides - or any - in a tub? I'd really appreciate pictures of somebody's setup, since I am a visual person... plus it might be easier than explaining all of this to me. Anything else I'm forgetting to ask? TIA!
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Re: Single tub setup?

It really depends on how cold your room is, how big the tub is and how strong the UTH is (don't forget all UTH's must be controlled by a tstat or a rheostat).

Personally for any heating concerns or advice I always go to Rich at Reptile Basics. www.reptilebasics.com Give him the temps of the room, the size of the enclosure and all relevant info and he'll set you up with something for a reasonable price that will get you to where you need to be for your snake.

Now as far as a tub setup. You want to start small if this is a young or hatchling BP. They tend to freak out with big open spaces even in tubs so go small and provide two hides. You can ventilate the lid and sides using either a drill (careful you don't crack the tub though) or by simply melting some holes into the tub using a simple and inexpensive soldering wand. Put some holes in, set up the tub complete with substrate, UTH, full water dish, hides...but no snake. Let the tub sit for 48 hours, check your temps and humidity. Adjust the heating source and put in more vent holes if needed. Best to get all that done BEFORE putting in the snake into it's new home.

Plastic tubs tend to be very stable but you have to address the lid safety issue. Tubs have lids never meant to hold an escape artist snake so add things like big black binder clips, C clamps, bungee cords, etc. Anything more than 1/8" give and you'll have a lost snake on your hands.

Here's some pictures of various tub setups. I don't add in fake plants but feel free to if you don't mind scrubbing them often.

Simple 15 qt setup (note the use of binder clips). This is an Iris brand tub. they are my favorites since they are basically glass clear plastic which is hard to find with either Sterlite or Rubbermaid......

Typical juvi ball python in his little blue plastic cereal bowl hide.....

Big 61 qt underbed storage tub for an adult female BP. This one was setup with aspen for substrate and the two hides you see in it are heavy rubber dog dishes found at a local farmer supply store.

Very simple 31 qt setup for a yearling ball python using newspaper as a substrate and plastic bowls as hides.

Similar setup utilizing terracotta plant saucers as hides (for a much smaller snake). Note the Acu-Rite setup in this example.

A content ball python.

~~Joanna~~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (07-04-2009)

Thanks

Thank you so much - very helpful! Now, with the ones that don't have an Acu-rite, what are you using to monitor the numbers? And did you drill holes to run the wires through, or just squish them under the lid?
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

One more random question... I've seen "sterilite racks" on the Walmart website, and they are very cheap. Could this be sufficient as a makeshift snake rack (until I can afford something fancy)? Let's say I get exactly the tubs that it's meant for, can you think of any reason it wouldn't work? I was thinking that might even work with my glass tanks, just to get everything stacked/organized - but I'm afraid they won't be very sturdy or heat-safe.

Here's what I'm referring to: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8282891
    Or something like this, perhaps? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

Just have to ask, since I'm not handy at ALL, and can't really afford the pre-fab racks I've seen (although the Animal Plastics racks aren't too bad). My roommate offered to build one for me, but I don't know if she realizes how complicated they are.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    It really depends on how cold your room is, how big the tub is and how strong the UTH is (don't forget all UTH's must be controlled by a tstat or a rheostat).

Personally for any heating concerns or advice I always go to Rich at Reptile Basics. www.reptilebasics.com Give him the temps of the room, the size of the enclosure and all relevant info and he'll set you up with something for a reasonable price that will get you to where you need to be for your snake.

Now as far as a tub setup. You want to start small if this is a young or hatchling BP. They tend to freak out with big open spaces even in tubs so go small and provide two hides. You can ventilate the lid and sides using either a drill (careful you don't crack the tub though) or by simply melting some holes into the tub using a simple and inexpensive soldering wand. Put some holes in, set up the tub complete with substrate, UTH, full water dish, hides...but no snake. Let the tub sit for 48 hours, check your temps and humidity. Adjust the heating source and put in more vent holes if needed. Best to get all that done BEFORE putting in the snake into it's new home.

Plastic tubs tend to be very stable but you have to address the lid safety issue. Tubs have lids never meant to hold an escape artist snake so add things like big black binder clips, C clamps, bungee cords, etc. Anything more than 1/8" give and you'll have a lost snake on your hands.

Here's some pictures of various tub setups. I don't add in fake plants but feel free to if you don't mind scrubbing them often.

Simple 15 qt setup (note the use of binder clips). This is an Iris brand tub. they are my favorites since they are basically glass clear plastic which is hard to find with either Sterlite or Rubbermaid......

Typical juvi ball python in his little blue plastic cereal bowl hide.....

Big 61 qt underbed storage tub for an adult female BP. This one was setup with aspen for substrate and the two hides you see in it are heavy rubber dog dishes found at a local farmer supply store.

Very simple 31 qt setup for a yearling ball python using newspaper as a substrate and plastic bowls as hides.

Similar setup utilizing terracotta plant saucers as hides (for a much smaller snake). Note the Acu-Rite setup in this example.

A content ball python.

I know I'm resurrecting but by chance do you still have copies of the photos that had been removed since your post? I'd be very interested in taking a look at the setups.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The-Almighty-Zugs View Post
    I know I'm resurrecting but by chance do you still have copies of the photos that had been removed since your post? I'd be very interested in taking a look at the setups.
    The thread is 8 years old and this particular member has not been active in years (4 or 5)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart