Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

3 members and 3,137 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

A couple carpet questions

Recently I got involved in a few trades that ended with me having several new carpet pythons. I am not new to snakes but am new to carpet python specifically.
    From what I have been reading they appear to be similar to red tail boas in the sense that there are different localities and different morphs as well.
    From what I was told I have a:

Male albino
    Two female tigers
    male jungle

I have been trying to do as much reading as I can about morphs and I think I have come to some understanding.

Albino carpets started as Darwin localities but over time have been crossed with coastal to produce costal crosses. It seems that unless identified as a pure Darwin by the seller the likely hood is high it is a cross between coastal and Darwin.

Tigers are a little confusing. The only website I found said that tigers are a pure coastal strain, and instead of being a "morph" in the traditional sense you have to line breed specific carpets to get the striping you want. So does this mean all tigers have to be pure coastals? Or could they be crosses as well? And if they were what other localities could they be a cross with? Any? Does this mean that a tiger paired to a non tiger would not produce any striping?

And jungle carpets are their own locality and morph all in one?

I guess I am a little more confused than I initially thought but if anyone could help steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Albinos originated with the Darwins, (Morelia Spilota Variegata) which are from northwestern western Australia, now the chance of finding a pure Darwin Albino is tricky most on the market are “mutts” as Darwins have been crossed into coastal and costals mutations, a few select people work with pure Darwin in Germany, England and the US, obviously they commend a little higher price due to their purity.

Costals (Morelia Spilota Mcdoweli) are from eastern Queensland north eastern south Wales, among the coastals you have several mutations such as Tiger or Jaguar. When pairing a Tiger to a coastal you will produce both, same goes if you pair a Tiger to a Jaguar you will produce Jag, Tiger Jag and coastal, all those will be consider pure coastal.

You can also pair a Tiger to another locality.

Jungle carpet pythons (Morelia Spilota Cheynei) are from north Eastern Queensland, there are are a few mutation such as the Zebra.
    Of course there are other localities as well which also have mutations. (IJ, Bredli)

Pure or Mutts carpet are amazing animals however not knowing the lineage or percentage of what you have is often a problem if you plan on breeding and selling offprings, not to mention the siblings that are often the ugly duckling byproduct from intergrade breeding.

You may find this helpful regarding mutation and designer combos. http://www.moreliapythonradio.com/Mo...a-complex.html
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-16-2017 at 12:57 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (07-16-2017),John1982 (07-15-2017),rock (07-15-2017)

Thanks

Re: A couple carpet questions

Okay, that helps a lot thank you Deborah. I was looking at that website before that's part of what helped and confused me I think. So that website shows the originating morphs and localitys? But basically now because of cross breeding there is really no way to know (unless informed by breeder) what the localities of things like albinos and tigers are? Like it's a safe bet to assume any albino is a coastal/Darwin cross unless sold as otherwise?
    And tigers began as coastals but there's no way to know if an individual tiger is a pure costal unless sold as such because it could have been crossed with a different locality?

If you had a jungle carpet python (Morelia Spilota Cheynei) could you be sure just by looking at it that was it's morph and locality?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alexio View Post
    Okay, that helps a lot thank you Deborah. I was looking at that website before that's part of what helped and confused me I think. So that website shows the originating morphs and localitys? But basically now because of cross breeding there is really no way to know (unless informed by breeder) what the localities of things like albinos and tigers are? Like it's a safe bet to assume any albino is a coastal/Darwin cross unless sold as otherwise?
    And tigers began as coastals but there's no way to know if an individual tiger is a pure costal unless sold as such because it could have been crossed with a different locality?

If you had a jungle carpet python (Morelia Spilota Cheynei) could you be sure just by looking at it that was it's morph and locality?
    With all the cross that have been done it is sometime very hard to gauge whether an animal is pure or not, and sadly the only way to know is to deal with a reputable breeders that keep solid lineage when it comes to it's animals and will be able to tell you if an animal is pure, or a cross and if cross what are the percentages.

Back when I bred intergrade (IJ Jag) I can tell you that the siblings which is what you call anything that is not IJ Jag were very close looking to pure IJ, just like pure IJ are also very similar to Darwin.

Finding knowledgeable breeders that care enough to maintain purity or are upfront about percentage when they do crosses is very hard, many out there do not even know what they have so the last thing they could tell you about is percentage, at the same time some buyers do not care about all that as they are looking for a cool looking pet and so long it looks good that is all that matter.

This year I am getting back into carpets and to me lineage is everything.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

With all that aside, you enjoying them? Carpets are awesome, smart, fun snakes to own. Hope it's going well you have any questions let me know. I bet you will love them if you don't already!