Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,767

1 members and 2,766 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: MBK, First Feeding

You can try reheating the mouse and offering again. It's also ok to leave the prey item in the enclosure overnight. I'd leave it in front of the warm side hide. If she doesn't eat don't offer again until her next scheduled feeding day. My youngest carpet is a shy eater and I have to sometimes leave her food overnight. If it's not gone by morning it usually goes to my olive python.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 07-20-2017 at 01:35 AM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Latest update...

Came home from work... about midnight... which was about 8 hours after I put the pinky in the enclosure. So, pinky was still there, and the snake was just hanging out in the water bowl. So, I went ahead and removed it.

So... here's where I stand. Her first and last feeding was last Friday, the 14th. She is 16 grams (weighed yesterday). I will be out of the country from this Saturday to next Saturday... with no one to check on the snake that's local. I'll have a small cam on the enclosure, so I should be able to at least get a visual whenever I want.

This is what I'm going to do... please let me know if anyone thinks I should do otherwise.

I am going to wait till tonight, about 10pm give or take... and I will try giving her another pinky. Will use the method described above... let thaw in the room sitting above the enclosure at room temps, then use the hairdryer right before feeding... and re-heat if she doesn't take. If she ultimately doesn't take, remove pinky and wait till I get back, EIGHT days later.

Concerns:
    1. letting thaw in room temp... room temps here is about 62 deg. (I like my house cold)... how long for the pinky to thaw at "this" room temp?
    2. She's a young baby, 16 grams... is it fine if she doesn't eat till I get back (which from her first feeding till when I get back would be about 15 days.
    3. Should I not even bother feeding and wait till I get back?

Enclosure...

-11.5 qt. tub (this one)
    -RIGHT SIDE: cool side, HerpStat probe, currently 77 deg. (set to 77)
    -LEFT SIDE: warm side, Acurite wireless temp probe, currently 84 deg.
    -61% humidity
    -2 hides, one on each side
    -wood logs on top

0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

MBK, First Feeding

There's nothing lost by trying to feed before you go away ... As regards the thawing - if it's a pinky it will take no time at all or you can even drop it in some warm ( not hot water ) and dry , then try the hairdrier method , the trick is to make sure it's warm when you dangle it on front of him . So 15 to 20 second hot blast with hairdrier and offer IMMEDIATLY .. if no success repeat the process exactly until he grabs it . I feed evenings and over card or paper so they don't swallow any substrate .

Not if he's just not interested not even tongue flicks then just try again after your trip .

Good luck !

PS your set up looks and sounds good !
    Last edited by Zincubus; 07-20-2017 at 11:03 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (07-20-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    1) Pinkies are tiny and thaw pretty quickly. It won't take long at all. The method Zincubus uses does work well, my only thought is that with the hair dryer it won't take 20 seconds on a pinky, but I could be wrong. Just use your judgement.

2) If she does refuse, she will be fine until you get home.

3) I would try again tonight, but wouldn't sweat it if she refuses.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (07-20-2017)

Thanks

Yeah maybe ten seconds or a tad less as they are incredibly tiny ..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (07-20-2017)

Thanks
    A quick update, if anyone's curious...

So, I placed the pinky by the tub to defrost at room temps, as advised. After a brief period, I then did the hair dryer trick. Tried it the first time, he was in his hide and didn't come out. Left it in there for a very brief period. Then, took pinky out, and heated again with the hair dryer, then placed him in the tub, right in front of the hide opening. This time I left it there and walked away. Came back about 10 minutes later and it was gone. And, Tynee (snake's name) had his head outside the hide peering out. So, either he gobbled it down quickly, or he dragged it into his hide.

This morning, I opened up the tub and looked under the hides to make sure pinky was indeed eaten... and, he was... no sign of him.

Cleaned up the tub, replaced the paper towel substrate with Reptichip (not much, just a small layer) then closed everything back up. And, that's all. Won't bother him again until I get back in town in 8 days.

Thanks for all the advise.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (07-22-2017)

Thanks

That's excellent !!!

You can have more confidence next time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    A quick update, if anyone's curious...

So, I placed the pinky by the tub to defrost at room temps, as advised. After a brief period, I then did the hair dryer trick. Tried it the first time, he was in his hide and didn't come out. Left it in there for a very brief period. Then, took pinky out, and heated again with the hair dryer, then placed him in the tub, right in front of the hide opening. This time I left it there and walked away. Came back about 10 minutes later and it was gone. And, Tynee (snake's name) had his head outside the hide peering out. So, either he gobbled it down quickly, or he dragged it into his hide.

This morning, I opened up the tub and looked under the hides to make sure pinky was indeed eaten... and, he was... no sign of him.

Cleaned up the tub, replaced the paper towel substrate with Reptichip (not much, just a small layer) then closed everything back up. And, that's all. Won't bother him again until I get back in town in 8 days.

Thanks for all the advise.
    Awesome!!! Enjoy your vacation! I'm sure you'll be able to relax a little more and enjoy yourself a little more knowing Tynee isn't hungry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123