Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

1 members and 3,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exact effect of Congo?

My newest boy that I got is a pastel butter congo.

Also look to my profile for a bit of a better pic, I tried to upload a different one but for some reason it won't let me upload that exact photo. Ill try to get it to work or take a better pic in the morning.

Anyways, I really like the way be looks and it seems pretty unique, to me at least, in color and I was wondering if that was due to the Congo or if it was just the pastel and butter. If so how exactly does the Congo effect him? When I asked the breeder thatvi got him from he simply said it was an enhancing gene and all I've read says the same thing, that it "Cleans up" the morph but I was just wondering how so exactly. When I look at other Congos I find it hard to find any real similarities and if I were to breed him how would I tell what offspring were Congo and which were not?

Any info on it would be awesome and if anyone has experience with the morph inwpuld love to hear it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Exact effect of Congo?

A few more pics I found on my phone of him

Thanks

No idea but I'll give you a bump, mostly because I want to know.

Sent from my 5056W using Tapatalk
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Thanks

I've been looking into Pastel Butter and comparing them to my boy. It seems as though it makes them look more pale? He is more of a creamy color then the pastel butters I see which seem to be more yellow. He also has less of a blush then I've seen in pastel butters. Perhaps that is what people mean when they say its a clean up morph?

Thanks

Is bongo and congo the same thing? I'm so confused it looks similar but I'm just not sure

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    Is bongo and congo the same thing? I'm so confused it looks similar but I'm just not sure
    No, Congo and Bongo are not the same thing. How much did your snake cost you? Was it in the $1500-$3000 range? If not, then it is not a Bongo as Bongo is a relatively new gene and still fetches higher dollar.

Congo is a gene that originated with Vin Russo. I suggest checking out his website for the story
    actagggcagtgatatcctagcattgatggtacatggcaaattaacctcatgat

7. The Following User Says Thank You to asplundii For This Useful Post:

Slowcountry Balls (08-01-2017)

Thanks

Exact effect of Congo?

Quote Originally Posted by asplundii View Post
    No, Congo and Bongo are not the same thing. How much did your snake cost you? Was it in the $1500-$3000 range? If not, then it is not a Bongo as Bongo is a relatively new gene and still fetches higher dollar.

Congo is a gene that originated with Vin Russo. I suggest checking out his website for the story
    Ahh alright thanks XD I hadn't looked into the price range just some pictures after a friend showed it to me thinking it was a congo. I've looked at his website and read up on it but it doesn't talk really on the exact affects, just about how its a clean up gene and it pairs good with pastels

Last edited by BluuWolf; 07-24-2017 at 08:42 AM.

BPnet Veteran Slowcountry Balls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Honestly, it can take a few shed cycles to identify which babies have Congo and which do not. On its own, Congo has a slightly lighter green look to the body color and slightly more crisp black. In combinations, you have to look for subtle changes. Congo generally lightens up a combination and removes black speckling in the body color. I have only worked a little bit with Congo and found the comparison in the Fire gene one of the more observable. Please look at my thread on the Congo Fire. It has a lot of good comparison pictures.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...119-Congo-Fire

When you hatch out babies, you will have to wait for them to shed and compare how they each look in order to have a good chance to see which, if any, babies got the Congo gene. I am waiting for my babies from a Pastel GHI to the female Congo Fire that I kept in the above thread. I intend to post pictures of them when I get some time (I will post pictures on our Facebook page, but it may take some time to write up another thread on the new babies).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slowcountry Balls View Post
    Honestly, it can take a few shed cycles to identify which babies have Congo and which do not. On its own, Congo has a slightly lighter green look to the body color and slightly more crisp black. In combinations, you have to look for subtle changes. Congo generally lightens up a combination and removes black speckling in the body color. I have only worked a little bit with Congo and found the comparison in the Fire gene one of the more observable. Please look at my thread on the Congo Fire. It has a lot of good comparison pictures.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...119-Congo-Fire

When you hatch out babies, you will have to wait for them to shed and compare how they each look in order to have a good chance to see which, if any, babies got the Congo gene. I am waiting for my babies from a Pastel GHI to the female Congo Fire that I kept in the above thread. I intend to post pictures of them when I get some time (I will post pictures on our Facebook page, but it may take some time to write up another thread on the new babies).
    Thank you so much! This was really helpful! I had thought his pattern looked a lot cleaner and he was a more lighter, cream color with less blushing then pastel butters I have seen but I could just never find enough info on the morph to say if that was the congo showing or not. On your fire congo her head was a lot lighter then the fire and my pastel butter congos head seems lighter then pastel butters, is that semi consistent to other congos you think? Anyways I will defenantly keep a look out for the pics of your babies!