Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

1 members and 3,268 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Where to start with breeding

So I'd really like to start trying to breed snakes within this next year, specifically ball pythons, but I have no clue where to start. Everything seems so complicated! Is there really any sure-fire way to do things or is it mostly "do what works for you"?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Keep it simple. Get a mature male and female. Make sure they're both healthy. Put them together and observe. I personally keep animals together for 1-2 days at a time. Separate and wait a few days then offer food. As long as they maintain healthy weights and/or keep eating for you, there's no reason you can't continue introductions until something notable happens.

Eggs can be maternally or artificially incubated. Your best bet is to have an incubator on standby, even if you did want to let the dam incubate, she might turn out to be terrible at it and toss the eggs around or abandon them altogether. Incubators don't have to be complicated either. Get something insulated(coolers are popular), put a heat source in there(something like heat tape or those undertank heaters work fine), toss a thermostat on it to maintain temperatures and you're good to go. Egg boxes are any container you want really, as long as it fits into the incubator. You'll want to pick a substrate(or lacktherof). I prefer regular old vermiculite. You can find some in pretty much any store that has a plant section. Make sure it's just 100% vermiculite, you don't want any fertilizer or pest control type addons. To prepare the substrate just add about the same weight in water as you do vermiculite. Mix it up with your hands until it's clumpy when you ball it up but water doesn't drip out when you squeeze - sort of like beach sand.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-03-2017),RichardBradley (07-07-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Where to start with breeding

You can ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers because it really is what work best for you from the initial pairing to the incubation.

One thing I always like to recommend to someone getting started is this http://ballpython.ca/breeding/, it gives you a good idea on what to do and what to expect, then once you have a season or two under your belt start experimenting a little and see what does work for you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

andrewross8705 (07-10-2017),Craiga 01453 (07-03-2017),RichardBradley (07-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thank you both for the informative answers, I'll be sure to keep everything in mind!