Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,378

1 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mangrove snake?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

mangrove snake?

This is strictly a curiosity thread at this point, as I just want to learn more about a species that has caught my eye. Any info will be appreciated.

So, as the title says, the mangrove snake has caught my eye. I absolutely love the black and yellow, and their size is in the range I personally enjoy keeping.

That being said, they are rear-fanged and mildly venomous from what I have read. Does anybody know if they are classified as venomous? Are they even legal in MA? Or are they classified like hognose snakes?

How does their bite compare to that of a hognose concerning the effect on humans?

I have also read varied things on them being nippy but able to calm down with time, patience and regular handling...right up to saying they are unhandleable.

I haven't added one to the wish list just yet, but darn they are beautiful and intriguing.

Anybody keeping mangroves?
    What are your thoughts?
    Thanks in advance...

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 06-30-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    (Just because nobody replied yet so I will LOL) I was seriously interested in dendrophila at one point too and did some research. I guess there isn't enough studies on their venom's effect on people exactly, but overall for rear-fanged snakes, it just depends on the individual's reaction and if they have an allergic reaction. Supposedly, their venom is the most potent out of all boiga though, so should be taken more seriously- but that's anecdotal, I think, unless anyone has research articles on it.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: mangrove snake?

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    (Just because nobody replied yet so I will LOL) I was seriously interested in dendrophila at one point too and did some research. I guess there isn't enough studies on their venom's effect on people exactly, but overall for rear-fanged snakes, it just depends on the individual's reaction and if they have an allergic reaction. Supposedly, their venom is the most potent out of all boiga though, so should be taken more seriously- but that's anecdotal, I think, unless anyone has research articles on it.

Thanks, I've had very little luck finding much more than the basics regarding this species. But I have read that like most rear-fanged/mildly venomous it depends on the individual and the reaction varies greatly. My understanding is that they can do a bit of damage, but nothing crazy. Swelling, pain, etc... is to be expected, but to varying degrees.

Thanks for the reply

Any other info will be appreciated, thanks in advance

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    They are very pretty snakes. I have seen a few in person and the pictures do not do them justice. That said, give some real thought to having anything even slightly venomous in your house. I love gaboons, and would be capable of caring for one, however I have young children around all the time, so it's just not going to happen. Kids do stupid stuff and adults forget. Look how many threads there are about lost ball pythons. Some idiot around here lost a cobra not too long ago. Granted, a mangrove is not in the same league as a cobra or a gaboon, but if there are kids around I just wouldn't go there. There are people that can handle the risks, you just have to decide if you are one of them. Always remember it is not just you that you need to keep safe.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 06-30-2017 at 03:49 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-30-2017),redshepherd (06-30-2017)

Thanks
    I agree with Jodan, which is why I never ended up going with boiga. Even if the risk is small, you don't know who is the person who will have a worse reaction to their bites. The main reason why hognose are so commonly kept is because they so rarely bite and always bluff, some even docile, not because they're "less venomous" (even though they are less venomous than boiga LOL). While dendrophila has that chance of biting as much as the next defensive species during handling, and that's why some people say they never directly handle their boiga except for on a hook with gloves and all that jazz. It's just a bigger risk people need to understand before taking it.

http://www.reptaquatics.com/node/9

Although very little is known about the venom's affect on humans, it is comparable to that of a death adder. Poorly evolved fangs and a poor delivery system make this snake's bite likely less than life threatening. Since they have a primitive means of venom delivery, they are not likely to pose a threat to a healthy adult.

^ I've read info about their venom being very potent in a few other places too
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-30-2017 at 05:00 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (06-30-2017)

Thanks
    I thought I should add, for all rear-fanged species, the main reason people have mild varying reactions is related to the amount of chewing the snake managed to get in. If the snake barely got them and they got their snake to let go quickly, they most likely won't have much of a reaction. Rear-fanged have that inefficient method of delivering venom, which is why they're always randomly described as "mildly venomous", but it's not actually referring to the venom itself that's mild lol.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-30-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    They are very pretty snakes. I have seen a few in person and the pictures do not do them justice. That said, give some real thought to having anything even slightly venomous in your house. I love gaboons, and would be capable of caring for one, however I have young children around all the time, so it's just not going to happen. Kids do stupid stuff and adults forget. Look how many threads there are about lost ball pythons. Some idiot around here lost a cobra not too long ago. Granted, a mangrove is not in the same league as a cobra or a gaboon, but if there are kids around I just wouldn't go there. There are people that can handle the risks, you just have to decide if you are one of them. Always remember it is not just you that you need to keep safe.

Well put, Jodan. They're gorgeous in pictures, so I can only imagine how they look in person.
    They're definitely not a species on my short list, but piqued my interest. I don't even know if they're legal in MA.
    Always like to learn more where I can.

Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

I thought I should add, for all rear-fanged species, the main reason people have mild varying reactions is related to the amount of chewing the snake managed to get in. If the snake barely got them and they got their snake to let go quickly, they most likely won't have much of a reaction. Rear-fanged have that inefficient method of delivering venom, which is why they're always randomly described as "mildly venomous", but it's not actually referring to the venom itself that's mild lol.
    Thanks red! That's my understanding as well. Seems as though a typical defensive strike probably won't do much, but a feeding strike might be serious depending on if they chew thinking they are biting prey.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

No all rear fanged snake bites lead to mild reaction case point the boomslang which was thought to be harmless until herptologist Karl Schmidt died the boomlang then became listed as one of africa's most venemous. To add to the story the bite was was and the venom was delivered only by one of the fang (and the animal was a juvenile)

So it's a poor delivery system for some rear fanged but not all.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 06-30-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-30-2017),redshepherd (06-30-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    No all rear fanged snake bites lead to mild reaction case point the boomslang which was thought to be harmless until herptologist Karl Schmidt died the boomlang then became listed as one of africa's most venemous. To add to the story the bite was was and the venom was delivered only by one of the fang (and the animal was a juvenile)

So it's a poor delivery system for some rear fanged but not all.
    Oh dang, that's crazy!! I didn't even know boomslangs were rear fanged either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast