Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,122

0 members and 3,122 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Shedding too frequently?

Hi all,

I have a shedding question.

I have a boy and a girl western hognose living with me since the beginning of April, they should be 8-9 months old now (trusting what my pet shop said).

First time I saw them shed was April 13th for the boy and May 18th for the girl.
    The boy shed once again on June 26th, which sounds like it's a bit early, but Today I found that the girl's eyes are turning cloudy again. It hasn't even been a month and a half since her last shed.

The boy is bigger than the girl and is about 80 grams now, so I started feeding him hoppers. Up until recently, the girl was eating one pink twice a week, and just last week I gave her the first fuzzy, and another one five days later, so I shouldn't be over-feeding them...

Is this shedding pace something I should worry about?
    Are there any factors that may be influencing shedding speed, or would this just be natural growth?

thanks in advance!

Thanks
    nothing to worry about. The snake know what its doing. In fact, your snakes are growing very nice

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Shedding too frequently?

Quote Originally Posted by hogmum View Post
    Hi all,

I have a shedding question.

I have a boy and a girl western hognose living with me since the beginning of April, they should be 8-9 months old now (trusting what my pet shop said).

First time I saw them shed was April 13th for the boy and May 18th for the girl.
    The boy shed once again on June 26th, which sounds like it's a bit early, but Today I found that the girl's eyes are turning cloudy again. It hasn't even been a month and a half since her last shed.

The boy is bigger than the girl and is about 80 grams now, so I started feeding him hoppers. Up until recently, the girl was eating one pink twice a week, and just last week I gave her the first fuzzy, and another one five days later, so I shouldn't be over-feeding them...

Is this shedding pace something I should worry about?
    Are there any factors that may be influencing shedding speed, or would this just be natural growth?

thanks in advance!
    You definitely start noticing more frequent sheds when they are fed what I call a meaningful size prey such as fuzzy and hopper, mainly because before that point pinkies that are offered have very little nutritional value.

Your biggest growth spurt usually starts around 60 grams and over when moving toward hoppers.

Shedding once a month once every month and a half is not something I would be concern with, I would be more concern with improper shed which can be the due to underlying causes. (mites, stress, environment, bacteria etc)

Now a little advice on feeding you really want to feed every 5 days rather than once a week, those animals have a very high metabolism and one of the most common mistake is for keepers not to feed them enough. I usually recommend every 3 days until they eat fuzzy and every 5 days from that point to when they are about 100/150 grams (depending if you are dealing with male or female, after that they can do just fine on a 7 day schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by 6037201 View Post
    nothing to worry about. The snake know what its doing. In fact, your snakes are growing very nice
    You keep giving those blanket statements and “advice” in all those threads regardless of the species, do you even own a hognose? So far you own a BP ad has done so for 3 months. There is a difference between posting for the sake of increasing your post count and posting valuable and helpful information.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

andrewross8705 (06-28-2017),Craiga 01453 (06-28-2017),MissterDog (06-28-2017),tttaylorrr (06-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks both!

Deborah,
    they did both go into their second shed with me after I upgraded their food, and girl just went over 60g, this goes along with what you are saying.
    After your advice in my first thread I got myself a dehumidifier so they're all nice and dry(except for when misting the cage during shed of course) and they don't seem stressed, and so far they shed well without any patches.

Regarding food, thanks for your advice!
    Here's my boy eating a hopper, would it not be too big to feed him this every 5 days?
    https://twitter.com/petpicsmania/sta...38954055200768