Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

2 members and 3,211 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Bull, Ball or Garter

So I want to get my first snake and I have started a few threads asking about good beginner snakes and this is the list I've come up with. Now I must decide between a Ball Python,A Bull Snake or a Garter Snake. I've done my research and will continue to do more before and after I decide. I also understand all animals are individuals and some don't adhere to the general species characteristics. Does anyone keep these? What would you recommend?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Learn the typical behavior of the species in question. Check out the husbandry requirements for each. Find out how long they live and how big they get. Only you can decide what works for you. When I was young I kept rat snakes. They had requirements I could easily provide. Now I keep balls. Their requirements do not conflict with my lifestyle. Think of it like buying the right dog. If you live in an apartment in the city you really shouldn't buy a hunting dog.

List out what you like, what you can provide, and the particulars of the different species. Where the items all come together is where the answer is.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 06-27-2017 at 10:51 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-27-2017),EL-Ziggy (06-27-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Garters can be a bit musky and/or bitey. If you go that route, definitely research the differences and choose a species that best fits your expectations as a keeper. Bulls can be intimidating if you're not used to big and loud threat displays - most chill out naturally as they get more accustomed to their keepers or, if you work with them a bit, they typically calm down real quick. Ball pythons require more specific care guidelines and their fasts can be worrisome for new owners. Out of the 3 you listed, bull snakes will probably handle keeper errors and stress the best so they get my recommendation.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (06-27-2017),Craiga 01453 (06-27-2017),EL-Ziggy (06-27-2017)

Thanks

Re: Bull, Ball or Garter

I have Balls and Garters. Of those two, the Balls require more for husbandry. They also hide a lot more and can be picky when it comes to eating. But they are much more tame and less erratic. I can put them on the ground outside and don't have to worry about them taking off.

I had Garters as a kid and I remember those being tame. I have two now (I'm 40) and they do not like being handled; they've never bitten but they will musk. But they have a great food response and are easy to maintain. They also eat a variety of foods. I typically give mine nightcrawlers, tilapia or pinkies and will add calcium. They are also nicer for display since they'll hang outside of their hides during the day. All depends on what aspect is most important to you. Nowadays Garters seem harder to find. Unless you get some nice morph, you end up paying as much for shipping as you do for the snake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'll throw one more into the mix. Have you looked at gopher snakes? Close relative to the bull, same husbandry, and they seem to be a little less huffy...
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

My garters don't mind being handled mostly and have never musked. I bribed them with worms after handling occasionally to get them used to it faster. They're still fast and wiggly though as that's just their nature. Most of the time they'll pretty calmly wind through my hands. Ball pythons and garter snakes are really different experiences (don't have a bull snake personally, do have the other two) - if you're looking at things that are so different, you might want to take some time to think about what you really are looking for. If you are anywhere near one, maybe go to a reptile expo and hold the different species for a bit.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

BPGator (06-27-2017)

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post

List out what you like, what you can provide, and the particulars of the different species. Where the items all come together is where the answer is.

I'm definitely leaning towards Bulls because of easy care and bigger size. I have read that they are more huffy and if you just work with them they should mellow out. I plan on having a separate feeding cage for any snake I buy. I've done lots of research on all of these snakes and will continue to do more. I'm kind of leaning away from Garters though. And I am also considering Gophers also.
    Last edited by BallPythonWannaBe; 06-27-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Had A Thought
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    A garter seems pretty far off from what you mentioned in your other threads....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,489 Times in 2,686 Posts

FWIW- There's no need for a separate feeding cage for snakes. It just adds stress for the snake and the keeper. I feed all my snakes in their enclosures.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (06-27-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-28-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    I'm definitely leaning towards Bulls because of easy care and bigger size. I have read that they are more huffy and if you just work with them they should mellow out. I plan on having a separate feeding cage for any snake I buy. I've done lots of research on all of these snakes and will continue to do more. I'm kind of leaning away from Garters though. And I am also considering Gophers also.

I would strongly advise against a separate feeding tub. Feeding in the enclosure is the preferred method among most experienced snake keepers.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (06-27-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-28-2017)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast