Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,044

0 members and 3,044 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Animal Plastics or C-Serpents Incubator?

I've heard great things about both incubators but I'm torn on which one to go with. We will primarily be breeding hognoses but there is a high probability we will start breeding ball pythons in the next 2 years. We have 2 female hogs next year that will be bred and a 3rd the following the year.

Thoughts on AP or C-Serpents and which one to go with?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I did a lot of looking for my first incubator. The most bang for my buck and reliability came with building my own.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Animal Plastics or C-Serpents Incubator?

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I did a lot of looking for my first incubator. The most bang for my buck and reliability came with building my own.
    I thought about going that route but with having a few thousand dollars worth of eggs incubating, I wouldn't want something to happen with an incubator I built when there are experts out there.

Thanks
    Many of us here have thousands of dollars sitting in homemade incubators right now. There are many how tos on here. Become an expert. I am not going to call myself one but I have yet to loose a clutch. Pitt and Deborah have lots of experience in this arena. I believe there are a couple of people here that have built their own walk-ins. You need to do what you are comfortable with though.

Thanks
    I built my own. I found a 48" (-ish) wine cooler for free on CL. Was told it worked but as we all know 1/2 of CL is full on liars. I gutted it (no Freon = no work...lol) and then added heat tape, fan to even the air out, Temp gauge with alarm settings, water bottles and will be adding a herpstat to it. Total invested with the herpstat will be sub 200.00

Cooler - Free
    Heat Tape - 10.00 (Bean Farm)
    Fan - 12.00 (Amazon)
    Temp Gauge - 9.00 (Amazon)
    Hatchrite - 12.00 (Bean Farm)
    Water Bottles - 2.99 (Albertsons)
    Herpstat Intro + - 109.99 (Spyder Robotics)
    6qt Sterilite 4.99 (6) Walmart

So right around 160.00

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Many of us here have thousands of dollars sitting in homemade incubators right now. There are many how tos on here. Become an expert. I am not going to call myself one but I have yet to loose a clutch. Pitt and Deborah have lots of experience in this arena. I believe there are a couple of people here that have built their own walk-ins. You need to do what you are comfortable with though.
    Apologies if my previous post came across sounding snarky. This whole lack of quality sleep is catching up. I've seen people who built walk-ins from a closet and it makes my jaw drop because dang, those walk-ins are usually filled top to bottom with containers holding eggs. I'll have to check out the how to guides.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrewross8705 View Post
    I thought about going that route but with having a few thousand dollars worth of eggs incubating, I wouldn't want something to happen with an incubator I built when there are experts out there.
    When I first started I started with a simple cooler holding 8 clutches (back then I was already hatching $1000+ animals just not as many obviously) for the past 7 years I have hatched between 100 to 200 babies a year in the same setup which is an old fridge nothing fancy but it does the job so why not. What you have to remember is that the SINGLE most important piece of equipment when it comes to an incubator is a RELIABLE thermostat.

Putting an incubator together is pretty easy and fast if I can do it, anyone can.

Now the day I upgrade (if I do) I will go without a doubt wit C-Serpent, mainly because I have seen those incubator in person and they are impressive.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 06-27-2017 at 11:53 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewross8705 View Post
    Apologies if my previous post came across sounding snarky. This whole lack of quality sleep is catching up. I've seen people who built walk-ins from a closet and it makes my jaw drop because dang, those walk-ins are usually filled top to bottom with containers holding eggs. I'll have to check out the how to guides.
    No problem. Just pointing out that if you have any hand skills at all you can build a far better one than you can buy for the same amount of money. It is not hard to do. If you build it you can put the money into the spot that really matters which is actually the thermostat. There are some good incubators on the market but most people that buy one get a cheaper one and end up loosing eggs.

Thanks

i used a diy incubator in the beginning and eventually switched to a natures spirit incubator
    with a herpstat basic stat. found it to be well worth the investment

just another option...... check it out

Kirk

http://www.nsreptiles.com/incubators

- - - Updated - - -

i used a diy incubator in the beginning and eventually switched to a natures spirit incubator
    with a herpstat basic stat. found it to be well worth the investment

just another option...... check it out

Kirk

http://www.nsreptiles.com/incubators
    Welcome to New Jersey Home of Taxes, Tolls, and Traffic