Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,945

1 members and 2,944 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Constricter As First Snake?

So I like Red Tail Boas and have heard they are good first snakes.(I have never owned a snake) but I don't know how to convince mom this scary noodle would not kill me or her.

Thanks

Re: Constricter As First Snake?

There are many types of redtails, some max out around 4/5 ft and some closer to 10.
    So the type you get will go a long way as to how you convince her. If you get a boa that can reach 10-12 ft it may be a harder sell.

Thanks
    Start by educating her, she has to know that they are not slimy or dangerous (most people think they're slimy), I bet she know's nothing about snakes. I used to be terrified of tarantulas but the more i learned about them the less iffy i was about them,And now i want one. Good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BeelzeBall. For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (06-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Baby boas take many years to grow into their adult size, and males rarely get over seven feet with some of the "dwarf" localities topping out at four feet.

If your mom is worried about escapes many reptile enclosures come with locks as an option, so you can ensure the snake stays inside, and to prevent unauthorized access.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Constricter As First Snake?

If you can fancy a Boa I say go for I

A lovely hatchling Albino boa would be a great display snake as well . Get a very young one and your confidence will grow along with it . As someone mentioned males rarely top 7' and be seen many around 6' but that's years away of course .

I've been lucky enough to get a Dwarf SunGlow male not too long ago and he should top out at around just 4' !!!

He's very calm and friendly before anyone puts the scares on you
    Last edited by Zincubus; 06-27-2017 at 01:40 PM.

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Where would I buy a dwarf boa in the US?

That Sunglow Boa is so handsome! Are they just called Dwarf Boas? I think a smaller 4-6 foot Boa would be easier to sell to her and the lock on the enclosure would probably help! With smaller snakes she said they would escape and crawl down my throat at night She was also worried a snake could kill our cats...Even though they don't come in my room(Which is where the snake would be)
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post

That Sunglow Boa is so handsome! Are they just called Dwarf Boas? I think a smaller 4-6 foot Boa would be easier to sell to her and the lock on the enclosure would probably help! With smaller snakes she said they would escape and crawl down my throat at night She was also worried a snake could kill our cats...Even though they don't come in my room(Which is where the snake would be)
    To be honest I'd take your mum to the local reptile store and get her to hold a couple of Royal / Ball pythons for a few minutes - she will quickly realise that snakes can be beautiful looking , lovely and friendly and pleasant to hold .... ring them first to check they let people hold them of course ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Timelugia (06-28-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Compared to mammals, snakes are pretty dumb. But they aren't dumb enough to crawl into someone's mouth. And most snakes are in more danger from a cat than a cat is from a snake. If you have a cat, a lock on the snake cage is highly recommended, to protect the snake.

Boa constrictors are great snakes, and one of my favorites! They are as mellow as snakes come, if raised from a baby.

The Hogg Island and Crawl Cay boa constrictors are the dwarf versions of the common boa constrictor (AKA redtail boa, Colombian boa, Honduran boa, Central American boa, etc). Many of the boa constrictors found in Central America are relatively small, though, compared to the lowland boa constrictors from Colombia. The real dwarf boas are small burrowing snakes than you have probably never heard of.

Many pet stores sell boa constrictors, but you are more likely to get a Hogg Island or crossbred Hogg Island/mainland boa or albino boa constrictor at a reptile swap meet. They are held in many cities across the country. Schedules can be found on line.

Vincent Russo wrote a good book about boa constrictors (Complete Boa Constrictor: A Comprehensive Guide to the Care, Breeding, and Geographic Races). It's available from Amazon, but it is rather costly. You may want to try borrowing it through your library's Interlibrary Loan system instead of buying it.
    Last edited by paulh; 06-27-2017 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added Russo's book

12. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Boa's are great. Just as mentioned above get a baby, and grow together. I have several that are puppy dogs. If you get a baby you will not notice how big it is. As he grows.I took one of my Boa's to the barber shop with me the other day. Every one was amazed at how big it has gotten. I hadn't noticed how big he's gotten. It's a long story but they saw it when he was a month old . Now he's three, and he's a laid back couch potato. I do my version of nature show at the barber shop from time to time by request. You can't go wrong with Boa's.
    Last edited by Tigerhawk; 06-27-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post

You can always go for pearl island boas. These get less than 5~6 feet.

Lol crawling down a throat sounds like something out of a horror movie! They're not dumb like bugs.

I do think it's a good idea to bring her along with you when you go to a reptile show/expo. Look up ones in your area and check it out! And have her hold some ball pythons. She will see how harmless they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast