Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,792

0 members and 2,792 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Beginner: Thinking Bull?

Hello! I'm 14 and thinking of getting my first snake! I like the longer snakes that are a it thicker, and after some searching around I have found Bull Snakes. Does anyone else keep Bulls? Could someone post pics of their setups and Bulls? Does anyone have any tips besides the chance they could be more aggressive than other species?

Thanks

Re: Beginner: Thinking Bull?

I rescued a baby bull in college and he was a pistol. Easy to keep - great eater! - and beautiful, but he would rattle his tail against the side of his cage anytime you'd get near and hiss like he was ten feet long. They can have attitudes, so you just can't be afraid of them. With handling they'll tame down.

Other than that, I kept him in a basic aquarium set up and never had any issues. Very very easy to keep as far as that goes.

He ended up going to a good home with someone who could appreciate him, and he calmed down quite a bit as he got older.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

EvilKitty (06-27-2017),paulh (06-27-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    Hello! I'm 14 and thinking of getting my first snake! I like the longer snakes that are a it thicker, and after some searching around I have found Bull Snakes. Does anyone else keep Bulls? Could someone post pics of their setups and Bulls? Does anyone have any tips besides the chance they could be more aggressive than other species?
    Generally speaking Bull tend to be all bark no bite, so long you work with them on a regular basis.

In a lot of cases their hissy stand with their tail rattling against the enclosure and their mouth wide open tend to intimidate people, but they are really great animals that like to bluff.

Care like most commonly found colubrid is easy (YOU need to do your homework) and they can be kept in anything from a v70 tub to a 30 or 40 gallons breeder.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Bullsnakes are neat snakes, but they do get very long and they have a bit of a 'tude. This is all fine if you know what you are getting into. With that being said, at 14, you have college, careers/jobs and potentially travel or moving ahead of you. Who will take care of a 8' snake for you while you are in college?? Are your parents interested or supportive?
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Thanks

My mother doesn't really understand why I like snakes but as long as I feed it and pay for it shes fine. Also I won't be going to collage for a few years but the one I'm planning on allows me to live at home(Less than a 30 min drive to campus). I am also aware of the bigger size and the 'tude

I'm also thinking about Woma pythons. Would they be better than a Bull?
    Last edited by BallPythonWannaBe; 06-26-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

I'm a bit biased in favor of Bulls but I like Womas too . My bulls are in the (2) bottom enclosures in this pic.

3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (06-26-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    My mother doesn't really understand why I like snakes but as long as I feed it and pay for it shes fine. Also I won't be going to collage for a few years but the one I'm planning on allows me to live at home(Less than a 30 min drive to campus). I am also aware of the bigger size and the 'tude

I'm also thinking about Woma pythons. Would they be better than a Bull?
    I have a woma and really like him. They may be a little easier to find, too. A male woma will probably stay a bit smaller than a fully grown bull. Both would enjoy a 4x2 cage like the ones shown above. Bulls are on my list, for sure.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Thanks

I really do like Womas but I hadn't found much about how beginner friendly their care is. I've done a lot of research on BPs,Kings,and Corns but I wanted something a bit more different. Of course I'm going to do LOADS of research before I buy and make sure I buy from a reputable breeder and ask lots of questions.

Thanks
    Here is Dingo, my Woma. He was born in '08 and is more or less fully grown.

Have you considered a Dumerils boa or one of the island boas like a Hogg Island?

View My iHerp Page

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (06-26-2017)

Thanks

Where would you get a good quality 4x2 cage like the ones pictured above? Be read that AP Plastics is good and vision cages are also good but I'd like something a bit more wallet friendly than a Vision Cage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast