Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,062

0 members and 3,062 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exclamation BP hissing for no reason?

I heard my 5-6 year old boy hiss in his cage and call me paranoid but it concerned me because RI immediately came to mind.

Ive heard it once before about a year ago.

Ive heard no other noises, no wheezing, no whistling. Ive also not noticed any bubbles, gaping, or drooling. Haven't yet checked his windpipe but I did have a look last week when I fed him (he had an infection in his gums before, 2 ish years ago, so I like to check every 2-3 months despite the vet saying he healed incredibly.) And it looked good.

The previous time I heard it and took him to the vet his nasal cavity was a bit plugged up with old shed (as his shed previous to that was a rough one) and they put him on a nebulizer just to help clear it up and be safe.

All of his sheds since then have been wonderful though! All in one piece. Including his nose so I dont know....

I did however notice there was a small fly that must have flew in there when I was refilling his water....That couldnt be it could it?

I dont know just any advice would be reassuring right now.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    No unusual streaks on the glass or water dish or any tank decorations that could be discharge from his nose /mouth?

Thanks

Re: BP hissing for no reason?

Nope nothing!

The only thing different was him poking around and trying to escape then slinking back into his hide.

Thanks
    Ive taken him out and been listening to him and aside from a little tummy rumble, nothing.....maybe I AM just paranoid.

Banned
    Thanks
    If your husbandry is on point, and no other signs, I think you're probably fine.

Just keep a close eye on him for a bit.

Maybe that little fly did have something to do with it?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Velstadt (06-26-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    If your husbandry is on point, and no other signs, I think you're probably fine.

Just keep a close eye on him for a bit.

Maybe that little fly did have something to do with it?
    Everything is up to par, I have him on paper towel though just cause last time I used substrate I got mites

Hes...not the brightest crayon in the box so I could believe a fly would startle him.

Though im honestly starting to believe I heard my sister and not him. Shes in the room next to mine and she doesnt snore but exhales rather sharply. The fact its 6am and I haven't slept means its a possibility, my GAD (anxiety disorder) spikes the longer im awake

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Velstadt View Post
    Everything is up to par, I have him on paper towel though just cause last time I used substrate I got mites

Hes...not the brightest crayon in the box so I could believe a fly would startle him.

Though im honestly starting to believe I heard my sister and not him. Shes in the room next to mine and she doesnt snore but exhales rather sharply. The fact its 6am and I haven't slept means its a possibility, my GAD (anxiety disorder) spikes the longer im awake

Hahahaha, the fly definitely could have startled him, ticked him off, etc...

...but then maybe it was your sister! hahahaha!!

Try to get some sleep, my friend. I have some anxiety issues as well, so I feel you on that one.

Good luck, we're here if you have any more questions

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Velstadt (06-26-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends if what you hear is hissing or wheezing, one sound is normal the other one is not.

I have 2 hissers that just what they like to do.

After that you can have a snake that wheeze for the obvious reason RI but they can do so also because of stuck shed or nasal cavity issue.

Not being there and no hearing the snake I can't tell you what you hear or whether what you hear is normal or not.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Velstadt (06-26-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Depends if what you hear is hissing or wheezing, one sound is normal the other one is not.

I have 2 hissers that just what they like to do.

After that you can have a snake that wheeze for the obvious reason RI but they can do so also because of stuck shed or nasal cavity issue.

Not being there and no hearing the snake I can't tell you what you hear or whether what you hear is normal or not.
    It didn't sound like wheezing. I checked inside his mouth this morning and he looks perfectly fine. I also checked to see if there was swelling in his nasal cavity or mouth and nothing.

I'll keep a close eye on him and monitor for anything unusual. I might book a vet appointment anyways just cause its been about 6 months since his last check in.