Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,167

1 members and 3,166 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Ball python handling?

Hey guys, Ive been posting a lot on this forum, bear with me here Im new to ball pythons and I want to ensure hes happy. Hes a month old, I only got him about 4 weeks ago. I left him alone for two weeks, on the second week I fed him and didnt handle him for two days after. So today, well yesterday since its 12:34, it was my birthday and I decided whats wrong with playing with him a little. At 7 am I took him out for about 8 minutes. Then at 9 I took him out again for about 10 minutes. I want to take him out tomorrow but I want to know if Im handling him too excessively. I researched all the signs of stress and he doesnt seem to show any signs. He isnt balled up, very inquisitive but Im hoping Im not confusing that for running. He is very curious and stretches his body out everywhere. Clear eyes, steady breathing, tongue flicking. I feel like he isnt too stressed so would it be okay to handle him tomorrow or would that turn him off. Personality wise hes a very chill snake, right out of the bag when I first got him he was relaxed, not coiled. Only trouble I had was him refusing to eat at first but he began eating. I want to feed him on the 29th so after tomorrow Im going to give a 2 days berth for him to destress in case. Im sorry for the long paragraph guys. But do you think itll be okay if I handle him tomorrow?

Thanks

Re: Ball python handling?

I try to keep the handling of new ball pythons, especially baby ball pythons, especially BBP's who've had feeding issues, to an absolute minimum. I, personally, would not handle. But I also have a bunch of other snakes I can handle, if I get the desire to do so. In my opinion, BP's are not the best snakes to own for "frequent handling." They do better if left to racks as much as possible, and this is especially true if you have a young one, or a sensitive one. It is also another good reason (as if one is needed) to have a couple of snakes. A small rack that holds 3-4 is great, because you can spread out handling so to avoid a lot of stress on any one snake.

For now, with only one young snake, I would keep your handling to 1-2 times a week. Just you, no big crowds as described in your other post. On weeks you plan to feed, I would not handle at all. Just leave the snake alone to settle.
    Last edited by Hypancistrus; 06-26-2017 at 03:55 AM.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

Sadiru (06-26-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    He sounds fine. All are different. As long as it continues to eat, is not breathing heavy, and is not peeing all over you it is OK with the amount of handling.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Sadiru (06-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thankyou I let him around crowds but Ill keep him with me now till he gets comfortable enough. Hes resting for now but would the stress of handling him have any long term effects or would he be able to calm down and destress if I leave him alone in his enclosure

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiru View Post
    Thankyou I let him around crowds but Ill keep him with me now till he gets comfortable enough. Hes resting for now but would the stress of handling him have any long term effects or would he be able to calm down and destress if I leave him alone in his enclosure
    Honestly, you are probably stressing more than the snake. There are some ball pythons that just can't handle any kind of stress. Handling or otherwise. What I said before holds true. I have a couple animals that are just not messed with. They are afraid of their own shadows. I have others that my daughters build houses for and try to get barbies to ride on their back like they are horses. These particular snakes just do not care. In general I do not keep the animals out for over a half hour because it is during the day and they are normally sleeping during those hours if they are not being handled.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-26-2017),Sadiru (06-26-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiru View Post
    He'll be fine once he is back. Long term stress would be something like cohabbing with a bigger snake. Handling is typically a short term stress, but....

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Honestly, you are probably stressing more than the snake. There are some ball pythons that just can't handle any kind of stress. Handling or otherwise. What I said before holds true. I have a couple animals that are just not messed with. They are afraid of their own shadows. I have others that my daughters build houses for and try to get barbies to ride on their back like they are horses. These particular snakes just do not care.
    This. I have one right now who is having feeding issues. I've had him since mid-April and I've only handled him twice-- once to put him in his rack and once to move him into a smaller enclosure because he was not feeding in rack. He finally took a live rat pup after I made that 2nd move. I won't touch him at all until he is eating f/t for me like I want. Just no need to stress him. Like Jordan said... some handle it fine, some can't. If he loses weight or stops eating... that is when you know it's an issue.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

Sadiru (06-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks, I just cleaned out and replaced his bedding, from coco husk to aspen and hes been exploring his tank for about a good hour now. Is it a stress response or should I be worried

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Take a deep breath, count to 10. You're stressing too much.

Your snake is fine, they are pretty resilient animals. They haven't survived thousands of years with no arms or legs by being fragile.

I handle my snakes at different frequencies, but on average probably 4 times a week for anywhere between 5 minutes and 30 minutes. I let the individual animal dictate the when and how long. As you gain experience and learn your specific animal's mannerisms you'll get a better idea of when/if and for how long he is willing to "tolerate" being handled and when to just leave him alone.

We're here to help. There will be a learning curve and it can be stressful, but you've got an awesome new pet, so my two cents is:
    Relax a little and enjoy your new snake.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (06-26-2017),Sadiru (06-26-2017)

Thanks

No stress, just new smells.

View My iHerp Page

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-27-2017),Sadiru (06-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks so much guys. Yeah I'm going to try to relax a bit and enjoy my snake. Hopefully he's as happy with me as I am with him😊

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sadiru For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-27-2017)