Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,205

0 members and 1,205 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Possible RI please help

My male yellow belly bp has shown two signs of RI in the past two days, yesterday i saw him open his mouth twice, i didnt think anything of it at the moment because i know they realign their jaw sometimes like that, but right now after feeding i hear like a whistle sound coming from him 3 times, im freaking out man im already making plans to take him to a vet asap, his humidity stays 50-60 all the time and his hot spot is a little over 90 (i checked yesterday with my temp gun) and i always clean any droppings as soon as i see them, he got a substrate change at the beggining of this month, always gets clean water, i do not handle him too much and he eats like a champ every 7 days, he is about 25 inches and probably around a year old or less. Do you think this might be an RI that i caught early on? My other ball python is on a table next to his, i already separated the tables even more but should i totally move the other snake? I plan on opening his mouth with a q-tip on tuesday (48 hours after feeding) to check for bubbles and more signs of RI, ive done that before while checking my other bp for RI a couple months back, which she didnt have and what i thought was mucus coming out of her mouth when i handled her one time was probably water, so that time i overreacted and it was nothing but i have a bad feeling about this one, idk if it matters but he came with mites when i bought him in january, and that was taken care of with one treatment they gave him at the reptile store i got him from, so not mites as of now. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Possible RI please help

I checked his mouth and literally saw only 3 bubbles in the back of his throat, i checked the female and she inly had one bubble, i dont know what to think, is it normal for healthy ball pythons to have one or two bubbles? I did not hear a single whistle out of him right now, and he has no bubbles under his lips, just 3 in the back

Thanks

Re: Possible RI please help

Find a vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Possible RI please help

Quote Originally Posted by 6037201 View Post
    Find a vet

Wow, very informative and helpful response.

To the OP. Is there any rattle to its breathing? Or other known symptoms aside from a bubble or two in the back of the throat? Sure, a qualified vet could confirm or disconfirm this for you, but try doing a thorough search through older threads on here and you will find a long list of others having dealt with the same situation and various different symptoms present in the animal.

Last edited by jmcrook; 06-27-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    A good exotic vet will diagnose whether or not the critter has an RI, and start treatment faster than a bunch of strangers online will based on a minimal description of the issue.

Thanks
    I alredy found two exotic vets nearby. The only symptom is the whistling, he did it twice yesterday too, and its not stuck shed in his nose because he hasnt shed in like more than a month a believe. So far, no other symptoms