Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 716

0 members and 716 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

MarkJeyFry (29)

» Stats

Members: 75,060
Threads: 248,513
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Jaseon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Problem With My First New Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by Suazo View Post
    My ball python is about four months old and she is bout 20 inches long and weighs about a pound. She lives in a 20 gallon long tank that is about 90 degrees on the hot side and 80 degrees on the cool side. She has forest floor bedding and a log hide on the hot side on the tank. It's heated with a heat mat and it has a water bowl on the cool side of the tank, that's really all there is to it.
    You keep saying "about" when asked for basic info on the enclosure. "About" is not good enough, get a thermometer, and you will want a cheap scale that measures in grams, not lbs. If your snake is only 3-4 months old, it's probably not a pound...

Also, get a second hide for the "cool side" as your snake should never have to choose between being hidden and the correct temperature for it's body needs. Preferably you want several hides in there, in different areas, so that the snake can "thermoregulate" and choose the best temp for its needs. Two is the minimum needed.

Ball pythons really should not be held frequently. Cornsnakes, in my opinion, are a much better snake to tolerate frequent handling. This is especially true for young snakes. That being said, no snake should be held a few hours after introduction to its new tank. I agree with the other poster who said leave it alone for at least a week. If you don't see it, peek in the hide or check again at night. Opening the cage and pulling out hides and yanking the snake out will be very stressful for it. I prefer to leave my BP's alone for at least "two feedings," however long that will be. I then pull them for a quick photo shoot and handling session. But I don't mess with them too often. This will also be very dependent upon your snakes personality- some will tolerate handling more frequently better than others. Some, you won't be able to handle much at all because it stresses them out.

Remember, snakes are not mammals. They don't have the same needs. Their needs are simple, but very different from the pets most people are familiar with.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-26-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Problem With My First New Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    What the heck!!"" You tried to steal my forum name!!! Anyways, you just got the BP. It needs a few weeks to settle in. I wouldnt mess with it for at least 2 weeks. Just change water and spot clean if needed. Once it eats 4-5 times in a row, then you can start working with it.

And honestly, if you bought a BP to be a social 'pet', you picked the wrong snake lol. BPs are usually pretty secretive. If you want a more social snake, get a boa or retic or a colubrid.

I thought you were the OP as well, and I was very confused.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12