Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,059

0 members and 3,059 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Thinking about switching to unprinted newspaper

So I am thinking about switching from coconut husk to unprinted newspaper. Although the husk is great with holding humidity, I don't like that my snakes get a mouth full of it on feeding days. So, for those who use newspaper. How do you keep humidity? Is the water bowl enough? I keep my snakes in tubs in a climate controlled room.

Registered User VIP CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Thinking about switching to unprinted newspaper

Bowl is more then enough. In my opinion substrate is overated. Paper towels or news paper is way to go. If you dont have enough humidity (50% is enough) dont make holes on the cover

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VIP CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

ringorock (06-25-2017)

Thanks
    I use newspaper and love it. I don't have issues with humidity. And when I notice snakes are going to shed and want to bump up the humidity I have a spray bottle handy and give the tub a little spritz. Easy!

Thanks

Like vip mentioned the water bowl should be enough. I use unprinted paper and i only spray while they're in blue. I guess you could use regular newspaper but im letting you know if it gets wet the ink can stain your tubs not a big deal but im just mentioning it. I'm sure you'll find a place to get unprinted but just to let you know i get mine from a seller on ebay. I get like 500 sheets for around 20-30 bucks. One thing i really like about paper is on feed day when they take the rat i can just move on to the next and not worry about them eating wood chips. Also to people reading i know they can swallow some shavings but i dont like it.
    Last edited by EDR; 06-25-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    0.1 : Albino Clown - GHI Pastave - Killer Bee Fader - Sugar Bee - Pastel het pied - Lemon Blast het puzzle

1.0 : Banana - Mystic Potion 66% pos het pied - Pastel Lesser het puzzle - Super Pastel 66% pos het puzzle

1.0 2012 Albino Red Tail

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I feed all 20 of my snakes on Reptichip coconut husk substrate and I don't worry one bit about any being ingested. At one point I used just paper towels, it worked OK but I was chasing dirty smelly tubs on a daily basis, now I spot check just twice a week and there's no smell. I change it out once every two months, way less labor but a lot more expensive.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

I use orchid bark / reptibark for all mine and simply put a few pieces of card down on top of it to avoid ingestion . Those little inserts in boxes of biscuits / chocolates are great for putting down as well.

Thanks
    I use blank newprint for my BPs. I love that they get clean bedding everytime they make a mess and it's also a lot cheaper. I order mine off amazon and I still haven't even gone through a whole pack for my 2 BPs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0042...eUL&ref=plSrch

That is the pack of paper I order for them. I think you can buy more for a good deal but the 500 pack is plenty for me.