Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,309

0 members and 1,309 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Starting New Hatchlings: What's Going Wrong?

Hey guys!

So, I'm hoping someone out there has some advice for me. I've been breeding for four years now and every year I have trouble getting hatchlings started on food. I wind up having to assist feed 9/10 babies for sometimes months before they start eating on their own. I currently have two that are currently on the brink of death because they will not eat and the assist feeding doesn't seem to be keeping them alive. I've also run into hatchlings that will take one meal and then stop eating again permanently which seems bizarre.

I feed all of my hatchlings f/t rat pinks. I know that a lot of people will say "switch to live, or switch to mice" but neither are a good fit for us. We start on rats to help out our customers as we have had issues switching with our own snakes in the past and live is not available readily where we are. I have bred rats in the past and it did not go well when we moved into our current home. Even tried restarting a colony from scratch but they don't seem to do well at all and eventually we shut it down.

I raise our babies in CSerpents V-18 racks and use hides if they get really bad looking or are so terrified of the food that they bolt. I've tried feeding during the day, at night and leaving pinks overnight, but nothing seems to help.

I've got a bigger season coming up, with 9 tubs in the incubator already and this is just an issue I'd like to iron out. Any advice from experienced breeders is appreciated. I really don't want to spend the season assist feeding 100 baby snakes for months on end.

Thanks guys!

Note: We are waiting to assist feed after a month of twice weekly food offerings.
    BALLS

0.2 Normals 0.1 Bumblebee 0.1 Yellowbelly 0.1 Mojave 0.1 Pastel Ghost 0.1 Leopard 0.1 Super Pastel 0.2 Black Pewter Yellowbellies 0.1 Arroyo Firefly 0.1 Lesser 0.1 Spider 0.1 Lemon Blast 2.3 Black Pastels 1.1 Pinstripes 1.0 Super Fire 1.0 Ghost Killer Queen Bee 1.0 Arroyo 0.1 Champagne 0.1 Pastel Trick 0.1 Pastel Yellowbelly 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic 0.1 Fire Mojave 1.0 Banana 1.0 Jigsaw 1.0 Super Pastel Lesser Black Pastel Yellowbelly

NON BALLS
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

NON SNAKES
    1.0 Long Haired Chihuahua 1.0 Greyhound 1.0 Husband

Thanks

Re: Starting New Hatchlings: What's Going Wrong?

Stop breeding? I don't have a lot of experience but from what I've seen starting them on live mouse hoppers is really the way to go. Switching them over to frozen and then to rats can be slow but it should happen eventually. It's best to wait until they have a really strong feeding response with a given type of food. Then they should readily take another type of food without really thinking about it (or at least that's what I've noticed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kxr For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-26-2017),JodanOrNoDan (06-26-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Disclaimer, I haven't had hatchlings yet, but in my experience with snakes that come in feeding live (all but two of my kids) I haven't had a problem switching any snakes to F/T once they're feeding consistently. Getting them eating in the first place is more important than making them eat what you want.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-26-2017),Craiga 01453 (06-25-2017),GoingPostal (06-25-2017),PitOnTheProwl (06-25-2017)

Thanks

REMINDER: Live is NOT available in my area so it is not an option. Thanks for the insight and believe me, were it a manageable request it would be something I'd be doing already as it does seem to be the standard, but as I said, live isn't a good fit for us where we are.
    BALLS

0.2 Normals 0.1 Bumblebee 0.1 Yellowbelly 0.1 Mojave 0.1 Pastel Ghost 0.1 Leopard 0.1 Super Pastel 0.2 Black Pewter Yellowbellies 0.1 Arroyo Firefly 0.1 Lesser 0.1 Spider 0.1 Lemon Blast 2.3 Black Pastels 1.1 Pinstripes 1.0 Super Fire 1.0 Ghost Killer Queen Bee 1.0 Arroyo 0.1 Champagne 0.1 Pastel Trick 0.1 Pastel Yellowbelly 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic 0.1 Fire Mojave 1.0 Banana 1.0 Jigsaw 1.0 Super Pastel Lesser Black Pastel Yellowbelly

NON BALLS
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

NON SNAKES

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "switch to live, or switch to mice" but neither are a good fit for us. We start on rats to help out our customers
    The I can't or I won't, it's not a good fit for us or it is to help customers should not be part of your vocabulary, it's about the animals not you.

A young animal that does not feed and does not do so in a timely manner will enter a viscous circle and a more time goes by without feeding the less likely the animal is to eat on it's own. Assisting is a last resort when everything else has been tried and that means EVERYTHING (live and mice)

I have been breeding for a decade, I used to start everything on live rat and no longer do, the main reason being that you get a higher success rate offering mice as their first meal versus rat. It's simple mice smell is just more enticing. Everything get switched to rats within 3 meals and some animals are switch to F/T in the same amount of time with 100% success rate in both cases.

Breeding comes with great responsibilities, that includes properly starting the animals on what works for the animals, what works for you is only secondary, if you are not willing to do that it might be time to re-assessed whether you should breed snakes or not.

You need to do what you need to do and live is available in NC and if you have to travel to find it than that's what you need to do. I have breeder friends in Charlotte and also some one hour out of charlotte who do not breed their own feeders and have no issue offering live food. They produce hundreds of BP each year so live is available.

And of course you also offer too often, you don't offer an animal that refuse to eat twice a week you do that with an animal that eats.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 06-24-2017 at 08:52 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Albert Clark (06-26-2017),Alicia (06-24-2017),bcr229 (06-24-2017),BPGator (06-25-2017),Craiga 01453 (06-25-2017),DaDe_Reptiles (01-19-2018),GoingPostal (06-25-2017),jesst (06-29-2017),JodanOrNoDan (06-26-2017),Nellasaur (06-26-2017),nme0w (07-09-2017),PitOnTheProwl (06-25-2017),shaundouglass135 (06-25-2017),StillBP (06-26-2017),Sunnieskys (06-26-2017),tttaylorrr (06-25-2017),zina10 (06-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    If live is not at all a possibility, make sure that husbandry is SPOT ON.

For little ones the most important thing is that they feel safe. Make sure they are in a VERY small container. Perhaps some dark substrate and even though its a small container, put some newspaper on top of the snakes so they can burrow under it. They need to have a very private TIGHT place to sqush themselves into. Make sure they are warm enough. Small containers are harder to control temp wise, but you want to have a good ambient temp.

If all that checks out, give them a few days to settle (if they aren't already in a tight small dark place). When you offer the food, is it REALLY warm? Such small items (rat pinks) cool rapidly. You have to also warm them up slow and safe, so that they don't get overheated and spoiled, but they DO have to be quite warm when offered.

Can you get your hand on some "live rodent shavings" ? No, not mutilated little rodents, but rather their soiled bedding If you could rub the rat pink on the dirty bedding of a rodent it might entice the little ones to eat. They probably simply don't recognize the ft pinks as "food". They don't "move", they have no strong scent left on them, and they are probably cooling quickly, so no heat signature.

Feeding ft to hatchlings can certainly be done, but it requires a bit more work to get it "just right".

Live food would be better, esp. for the stubborn ones. But you already know that and you say thats not an option. If you have hatchlings near death because of this situation, perhaps you could offer them for free to someone that can provide live food and has the time and patience to try to get them to survive.

Good luck with the little ones
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-26-2017),Craiga 01453 (06-25-2017),hotelvoodoo (06-24-2017),paulh (07-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    If you're in Charlotte, there must be local mouse or rat feeder breeders near you. You can look on your local fb reptile classifieds or on craigslist?

It won't be an issue to convert them to f/t later on. All the ball pythons I've received were eating live when they came to me, and they either converted right away or took a few tries. (Except for a 4 year old adult female who has been eating live her entire life, only then I failed to switch her over)

As said, what's important is they get a few meals in first, before you attempt to try to get them to eat what you want. If they resolutely won't take f/t no matter what, then you're looking at choosing between dead babies or offering live.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-24-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks

We did look for live when we first moved down here as we still had live mousers at the time, but no one within an hour's drive could provide them reliably in quantity and we tried several sources. My husband and I both have full time jobs and work six days a week meaning that we seriously don't have the time to make a long drive to maybe get mice or maybe not every week. We have managed thus far to produce healthy, robust animals for the past four years using f/t rats so I know it can work with enough time, patience, and effort on our parts. So it is not a question of stopping our breeding or not. They all eat eventually, in time.

I am not looking at convenience. I am looking at possibilities. If you have a source for live feeders that can provide 100 live hoppers every week locally without fail, I'd love to do business with them. When I reached out to the community and asked around for several months everyone told me that I would need to seek bigger breeders farther north or south (which makes sense if you're breeding for a living) or going to pet stores, which can possibly provide a handful of mice a week.

I am looking at options to make the f/t go easier for them. F/t mice could certainly be a possibility if, as you say, it is in every likelihood that they will switch over. We have had an extremely difficult time with mouse eaters in the past.
    BALLS

NON BALLS
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

NON SNAKES

Thanks

Will certainly ask our rat guy for some rodent shavings (wouldn't have thought of that) and I will seriously consider the f/t mice route, at least until they're eating steadily. Thank you!
    BALLS

NON BALLS
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

NON SNAKES

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    You could keep a couple of female mice in a small cage and use their shavings to scent the ft rat pups.

I said female mice, because the males REALLY stink, and you don't really want babies..You just need the shavings

Once they eat a few meals you can then just stop using the shavings and they should eat the ft rats no problem
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast