Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,665

3 members and 1,662 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ::sigh::

Thanks

Re: ::sigh::

Quote Originally Posted by vikingr View Post
    I got a thin piece of opaque Plaskolite at Lowes and a scoring knife on Amazon... both cheap. From there all you need to do is measure and score the plexi with the knife using a straight edge and snap it off. I then used a razor blade to shave it down to fit tightly
    https://www.amazon.com/NT-Multi-Use-...exiglass+knife

That is a project I can do! We have a Menards, I will look there. Your enclosure is very nice! I'm looking forward to setting him up with his new one. I think I ordered that exact hide!

Also, is the substrate you suggested? https://smile.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-260...ptopia+coconut

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chelliex2 View Post
    Thank you so much! I would like to get plexi panels but haven't found where to get them yet, thus the improvise with foil. I will put the Eco Earth in my cart for the next time!
    And yea, I was hoping we could get away with just using the UTH has the heat source, the misting thing is getting old. We have heat lamps now and can't keep up.

And thank you on the glass surface help. I did buy one of those temp guns and was wondering what temps that should be with the UTH underneath. I kept reading about them being burned. And he likes to make burrows!
    Sounds like your doing great. They arent as fragile as you think. One thing you want to keep from happening is temps over 92 on a consistent basis. Balls will survive at 70 degrees if there was a power outage, but can have neurological problems from being to hot for a period of time. Shoot for 90 tops. The ambient is fine 76-80.. As far as Humidity.. Mines 50-58 and they actually drink to help keep themselves hydrated and soak a little here or there sometimes before shedding. Dont drive yourself crazy, these snakes are found in several different situations in Africa, and everything isn't always on point in their habitat.
    Be carful of CHE's and heat lamps with that tank. Ive seen the plastic melt all over. If your daughter likes this experience and you want to give her a Christmas present for her pet a professional setup like a AP enclosure with a Pro Panel (RHP) and a simple Herpstat can run you $400 total. You dont have to worry about much of anything at that point. My substrate is Butcher Paper and my PVC enclosure is 90 at the Hot side, 80 at the cool and 54% Humidity. The only time i adjust anything is when winter/summer comes then I adjust. That tank you have wont keep perfect humidity but 40-60% will do for now. Think if what we all did before all this technology. Ive been keeping for 29 years and back then it was a heat mat only and my oldest snake is now 19 years old. Good luck and dont stress..
    PS- my quarantine tank has a zoomed screened lid and i put a thick piece of Plexi from Lowes over it. Measure first as they will cut it for you. Just set it over the top of the screen. Mines covered 3/4. Get the Duraplex, not the thin crap or it will snap and you'll waste $10. Spend $15 and do it right
    Here is are a couple of my AP enclosure.. When/If you get one, order early, it takes a couple months. They are a family business that does a great job and it takes time thats well worth waiting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

chelliex2 (06-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Sounds like your doing great. They arent as fragile as you think. One thing you want to keep from happening is temps over 92 on a consistent basis. Balls will survive at 70 degrees if there was a power outage, but can have neurological problems from being to hot for a period of time. Shoot for 90 tops. The ambient is fine 76-80.. As far as Humidity.. Mines 50-58 and they actually drink to help keep themselves hydrated and soak a little here or there sometimes before shedding. Dont drive yourself crazy, these snakes are found in several different situations in Africa, and everything isn't always on point in their habitat.
    Be carful of CHE's and heat lamps with that tank. Ive seen the plastic melt all over. If your daughter likes this experience and you want to give her a Christmas present for her pet a professional setup like a AP enclosure with a Pro Panel (RHP) and a simple Herpstat can run you $400 total. You dont have to worry about much of anything at that point. My substrate is Butcher Paper and my PVC enclosure is 90 at the Hot side, 80 at the cool and 54% Humidity. The only time i adjust anything is when winter/summer comes then I adjust. That tank you have wont keep perfect humidity but 40-60% will do for now. Think if what we all did before all this technology. Ive been keeping for 29 years and back then it was a heat mat only and my oldest snake is now 19 years old. Good luck and dont stress..
    PS- my quarantine tank has a zoomed screened lid and i put a thick piece of Plexi from Lowes over it. Measure first as they will cut it for you. Just set it over the top of the screen. Mines covered 3/4. Get the Duraplex, not the thin crap or it will snap and you'll waste $10. Spend $15 and do it right
    Here is are a couple of my AP enclosure.. When/If you get one, order early, it takes a couple months. They are a family business that does a great job and it takes time thats well worth waiting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very cool set-up! She's a 11... this is her first one... so let's just chill for a little bit ok?! lol! Seriously, this momma is suddenly in a world of snakes that she didn't know she'd ever been in. Good thing I've never been scared of them! But it's been information overload for awhile, especially once we realized how awful the set-up he was sold with actually was.
    I'll keep my eye on the plastic, I was hoping to barely use the CHE in hopes that the UTH would just pick up the slack, I may be too optimistic in that area. AAANNDDD I'm pretty sure I've dropped $400 already!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chelliex2 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

just popping in to say welcome! you are a COOL mom for allowing your daughter to have the pet(s) she wants and i hope this is an awesome experience for you both!!!
    a UTH is for a floor hot spot only, not for ambient (air) temperature. you'll need the supplemental heating if the room is below 75.
    besides that, everything that needs to be said has been said; you're in great company here! 😊

ps: don't forget to post pics! 😀
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 06-23-2017 at 06:58 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

chelliex2 (06-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    just popping in to say welcome! you are a COOL mom for allowing your daughter to have the pet(s) she wants and i hope this is an awesome experience for you both!!!
    a UTH is for a floor hot spot only, not for ambient (air) temperature. you'll need the supplemental heating if the room is below 75.
    besides that, everything that needs to be said has been said; you're in great company here! 😊

ps: don't forget to post pics! 😀
    Yay! And thanks for the info! I'll try and post pics sometime. We're hoping to move him Tuesday. And some of the info you can find is conflicting! It's hard. Lol. Just want to have a happy healthy python and baby girl.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chelliex2 View Post
    Yay! And thanks for the info! I'll try and post pics sometime. We're hoping to move him Tuesday. And some of the info you can find is conflicting! It's hard. Lol. Just want to have a happy healthy python and baby girl.
    there's more than one way to cook a potato, so something that works for me might not work for you. once you learn proper husbandry you'll be able to figure out what works best for you and come up with your own solutions.

don't be afraid to ask questions, that's how you learn! 😀
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

chelliex2 (06-24-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12