Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

0 members and 3,290 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ::sigh::

Thanks

::sigh::

I am on this board because of my daughter. She loves snakes, geckos, and other reptiles. We recently caved and allowed her to get her first reptilian pet. A Ball Python she named Ozzy. She's in love.

Seemed like a pretty good deal because he "came with all his stuff" for total of $200. We studied up and made sure we knew what he needed and how to take care of him.
    HOWEVER... he did NOT "come with all his stuff", or at least not good stuff. The temp and humidity is practically uncontrollable and we have to check it constantly. Thank God she's off of school. I have no idea how this snake has lived. So... we are re-vamping poor Ozzy's tank, heating system... you name it.

He's a little over 1yr old, eats live small adult mice. He is close to 2ft in length I'd say.

HERE IS THE PLAN: Please tell me WHERE I am wrong or what could be better.

Exo-Terra 24x18x12 tank (will partially cover the top to help with humidity and temp control, currently planning on using foil)
    UTH - will cover 1/3 of bottom of tank (on the outside) has temp control system, will be placed on ceramic tile on top of her dresser or desk.
    CHE - with thermostat to help regulate ambient temp depending on how the UTH system does
    Ambient Temp: 80-85
    Coldest on the cold side not to reach below 75, range 78-80
    Hottest on the hot side not to reach over 96, range 88-92
    Humidity range 50-60%, 70-80% during shedding

Larger pool because his is freakin tiny. 8in at it's longest point. Also to be put on top of (at least partially) UTH to help with our humidity problem. Plan on seeing if his small one will fit on the opposite side.
    Moisture box with some moss.
    Also plan on trying to add some moss elsewhere in his tank depending on how our humidity problem continues.
    His original hide
    Cyprus Mulch
    Green mat of some sort at the bottom. Can't recall what that's called.
    I'm adding a branch because... fun.

What else? Is Ozzy good?

Also... what's the best way to acclimate him to his new 'home'? He currently eats like a champ and doesn't seem to have any issues. My daughter takes him out about every other day.

Thank you!

Thanks

Re: ::sigh::

Skip the green mat, you don't need it with the cypress mulch for substrate.

If you cover 2-3 sides of the enclosure, it'll help him feel more secure, and it looks nicer than seeing through the enclosure. I like aquarium background sheets (there are plenty that look reasonably non-aquatic - rocks and plants) but plain paper will work.

I like radiant heat panels better than CHEs, but CHEs are easy to find and less expensive; and you can switch to a RHP later, if you decide to (yes, a RHP can be mounted in an Exo-Terra, we've done it more than once).

Infrared thermometer to monitor temps, I got mine from the local hardware store.

If he's eating, and hiding during the day, he's probably content. Fine-tuning his heat probably won't bother him too much, the things that are more likely to stress him are adding/changing things in the enclosure. If you're concerned he's stressed, just leave him alone for a week. But if he's happy with regular handling, keeping up that routine may not be a bad thing - see how he does and adjust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

chelliex2 (06-23-2017),Craiga 01453 (06-23-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-23-2017),Sunnieskys (06-23-2017)

Thanks

Thanks! I thought he needed the green mat to help protect him from burrowing and touching the glass on top of the UTH. He does like to burrow.
    I will look for a surround! And I did pick up one of those point and shoot thermometer things from hardware section.
    I did see the RHP option, we may explore that in the future. We already had a light, just not the right bulbs, so it seemed like the easier option.

He's still currently in his old enclosure. He'll move on Tuesday, (unless something malfunctions during the test) I just didn't know if there was any tricks other than just be like... hey... here's your new home! Hope you like it!... none of which he'll understand as you gently place him in completely new surroundings. (granted he will have his original hide).

Thanks

As long as the UTH is regulated with a thermostat of come kind, it won't get hot enough to burn him, even if he's right against it. Those green mats end up getting dirty and smell, and 10 to 1 he'll still figure out a way to get underneath it lol

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

chelliex2 (06-23-2017),Sunnieskys (06-23-2017)

Thanks
    You're well equipped but remove the mat/carpet... use your temp gun and ensure the bottom glass surface above the UTH (push substrate aside) does not exceed 95-96F. Whatever thermostat you're using to regulate, dial it in so temps are between 90-95 on the glass (not the substrate temp). You'll find some variability across the surface so ignore a spike or two and try to achieve low 90's across most of the UTH/glass surface.

FYI - I have the same exo terra cage (3/4 of the top covered with plexi panels) and I've had much more success maintaining a higher humidity after switching from Cypress to Eco Earth and Herptopia (coconut) - misting is usually necessary when using CHEs and/or heat lamps. Also, I covered both sides with a forest background and black foam board but really don't think it's necessary if you have proper hides and some decor to clutter the tank.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vikingr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    BTW I love his name... and reptiles, but I'm also here because my 11-yr old daughter wanted a BP, named him Jagger...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vikingr For This Useful Post:

chelliex2 (06-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    As long as the UTH is regulated with a thermostat of come kind, it won't get hot enough to burn him, even if he's right against it. Those green mats end up getting dirty and smell, and 10 to 1 he'll still figure out a way to get underneath it lol
    lol! I can see that! He was almost named him Loki. It does have a thermostat, I'm good with not buying something that's going to get dirty and smelly!
    Thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vikingr View Post
    You're well equipped but remove the mat/carpet... use your temp gun and ensure the bottom glass surface above the UTH (push substrate aside) does not exceed 95-96F. Whatever thermostat you're using to regulate, dial it in so temps are between 90-95 on the glass (not the substrate temp). You'll find some variability across the surface so ignore a spike or two and try to achieve low 90's across most of the UTH/glass surface.

FYI - I have the same exo terra cage (3/4 of the top covered with plexi panels) and I've had much more success maintaining a higher humidity after switching from Cypress to Eco Earth and Herptopia (coconut) - misting is usually necessary when using CHEs and/or heat lamps. Also, I covered both sides with a forest background and black foam board but really don't think it's necessary if you have proper hides and some decor to clutter the tank.
    Thank you so much! I would like to get plexi panels but haven't found where to get them yet, thus the improvise with foil. I will put the Eco Earth in my cart for the next time!
    And yea, I was hoping we could get away with just using the UTH has the heat source, the misting thing is getting old. We have heat lamps now and can't keep up.

And thank you on the glass surface help. I did buy one of those temp guns and was wondering what temps that should be with the UTH underneath. I kept reading about them being burned. And he likes to make burrows!

Thanks

My daughter is 10! She is going into 5th this year and I do believe geckos are next on her list. lol!
    I think she would like this forum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chelliex2 View Post
    Thank you so much! I would like to get plexi panels but haven't found where to get them yet, thus the improvise with foil...And yea, I was hoping we could get away with just using the UTH has the heat source, the misting thing is getting old...
    I got a thin piece of opaque Plaskolite at Lowes and a scoring knife on Amazon... both cheap. From there all you need to do is measure and score the plexi with the knife using a straight edge and snap it off. I then used a razor blade to shave it down to fit tightly
    https://www.amazon.com/NT-Multi-Use-...exiglass+knife

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vikingr For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast