Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,006

0 members and 2,006 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Hog island and hypo questions

I guess I will start with what I hope I know and what I hope I have. I have two females, one is a hypo het Anery BCI,
    the other is a hog island Panamanian cross BCC.

I guess first is it possible to be hog island Panamanian cross and be a BCC?

And second if I wanted to buy one male that I could pair to both. I was thinking maybe a hypo hog island?

If I did that :

On the hypo het Anery BCI would I be getting some hypo hogs and some super hypo non hogs?

On the hog island Panamanian cross:
    would I be getting some hog island boa and some hog island hypo Panamanian crosses?

This is where I start to get a bit confused with how boa morphs and locality's work. If I am way off and sound really ignorant I do apologise in advance.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I am not an expert, but I will try to answer some of your questions.

hog island is a locality of BCI, not a morph... If the breeder you purchased her from bred the parent hog island to a BCC, then your snake is a BCI / BCC cross... As such, any offspring she produces will be a percentage BCC, but basically be crosses. Know up front that some people like crosses, but many do not, so they can often sell for less than pure animals and you could have a hard time moving them.

If you pair this female with any other boa, they will retain some of the hog island characteristics just based on whatever genetics they get out of the pairing... Hog islands have lighter colors, faded patterning, more oranges, and in many cases, lots of peppering. For an example of a somewhat popular hog island cross, see "sunset" boas (this would be what you are calling a "hypo hog")... These are hypo BCI crossed with hog island BCI and then line-bred to produce a higher orange, faded pattern BCI.

If I were in your position, I would focus on getting a snake that carries genetic traits that would pair with your other female... A hypo / anery (ghost) male or even a sunglow het anery (sunglow = hypo/albino) or a hypo het anery and het albino (would be sold as a hypo het ghost). This would give you the potential to make anery, hypo, ghost, and possibly all het albino if the male was a visual albino.

For the other female, a nice sunset hog island (hypo/hog) would be the best match... Then you could sell them as hog or sunsets with a percentage of BCC. That pairing would produce hypos and non-hypos. Of the two pairings listed, I think this one might be harder to move than the other litter, but again, depends on your market and the quality of your animals.

I would advise checking out your local market and seeing how fast snakes move and what sells best before considering this venture... You are looking at possibly producing litters with a total of 40 or more boas that you will have to house and feed until they sell... which can take a a year or more. Please also look at the quality of your females and other examples of their type of boa...see if your females are quality examples as those always move faster than standard looking ones. I would also suggest getting info from the breeder of the hog/BCC cross... If you can get pics of parents and lineage info, that would be helpful to you as people will want to know if it is for sure a BCC cross and want to see pics of the BCC.. With BCC crosses, most people do this to increase pattern or color, so the quality of the BCC parent is important.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (06-24-2017),Alexio (06-24-2017)