Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,550

1 members and 2,549 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Is my BP in shed?

I'm very new to snake keeping and I've had my new BP for 2 weeks now. Within the last week she has become extremely wrinkled when she bends and when she moves on surfaces her stomach rides up her sides. She fed amazing her first week but she has refused food this week. She did strike a few times but missed and hit her tank but after that refused, even though she still seemed interested. I have been having a lot of trouble keeping her humidity up, it stays between 30-40% but when I mist it goes up to 50-60% so I'm not sure if that's the issue with a bad shed if that's what she's doing. I just want to make sure she's not dehydrated. She does have 24 hr access to fresh water daily.
    Here are some pictures of her eyes and some wrinkles. She was moving a lot so it was hard to get how wrinkled she really is.
    http://imgur.com/a/xt40S

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

welcome to the forum!

doesn't look like it, but it could be the very beginning when they get dull. two tell-tale signs of shed is a pinkish belly and what i call a "turtleneck," where the skin after the jaw is bunched up and looks like a turtleneck/double chin.

is the top of your enclosure a mesh cover? cover that with tin foil to trap the humidity; humidity should always be above 55% and never drop below that. at the first sign of shed i try to keep the humidity around 70% until the shed is complete. other ways to keep humidity up is sphagnum moss or a damp hand towel laid over one of the hides.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Looks like signs of a shed, with some dehydration.

Assuming you're running a tank setup if you're having humidity issues. Ideally, it should be sitting at 50-60% on the regular. Try and get your tank humidity up to 70% for the next week.

Tips:

• Cover the screen top with aluminum foil, leaving a ventilation area.
    • Mist the enclosure.
    • Move the water bowl over your heat source.
    • Get a larger and shallower water dish, like a planter tray.
    • Make sure to offer a water source on the other end for drinking.
    • Consider adding moss, or using moss/damp paper towels in a moist hide.
    • Some people advise damp towel over the top screen.

Edit: Whoops, got beat.
    Last edited by hollowlaughter; 06-22-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Tough to tell in that pic, can you provide a few more?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    The eyes look dull to me, so I'm guessing it is in the beginning cycle of a shed. Check the belly. Should be a little red. Do as others have said and get the humidity bumped up.

Thanks
    I added a second water bowl, added a damp cloth and covered the mesh lid with foil and got the humidity to 70! Her belly is still white but her eyes definitely seem more cloudy as the day as progressed. Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Every snake sheds a bit differently, like my boy's belly got alarmingly pink before his most recent shed and stayed that way through the entire thing, but it all just came off in one piece with no problem a few hours ago and his belly's back to creamy white.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Her belly may have been pink a day or two ago and she is beyond that "phase" of the shedding process. If her eyes are looking cloudy and skin a bit dull a shed is coming...

As for making your adjustments, may I suggest adding cardboard to the foil and lid?
    What I do is cut the cardboard to fit leaving room for the lamp. Than I wrap it entirely, top and bottom, in aluminum foil and tape it in place nice and tight. Then it just sits on top of the screen lid. This added layer of cardboard will help with temp and humidity control. The foil will keep everything in and prevent the humidity from being absorbed into the cardboard. It will also be much more sturdy this way and last a long time.