Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

3 members and 2,953 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Super Psyched and Impatient

Hey, all. So I've been chatting back and forth with the man over at JD Constriction (Hey, John) and have a snake about to be reserved that just hatched last week. So psyched. Male Axanthic. I figured a 20 gallon would be an ok starter size, so I've invested in that, as well. Decided on heat pads under one hide for the hot side, then maybe a dim bulb to heat the cold side (I'm in Ohio and weather is...unpredictable. That's being generous). Chatted with John about the little guy and got some hide ideas about to be implemented in the tank. Does anyone have any tips for a newish snake owner? Or tips for owning an axanthic ball?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Congrats!! I love axanthics.

Have you read through this caresheet? https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...s%29-Caresheet

I think the most common tip people newish to owning snakes don't know is to get a thermostat for their heat sources lol. And a digital thermometer/hygrometer and a temp gun, not the dial petsmart kinds.

Baby ball pythons need a lot of security and cover and hides to feel secure enough to eat (more or less depending on the individual). If you can't find them 95% of the time, that means you probably have enough cover. If you see them lying around or "exploring" out in the open too much, it means your husbandry is off, they're stressed out and probably won't eat.

If you're putting a baby ball in a 20gallon long tank, I would get 4 small hides from reptilebasics, not just two. Along with lots of fake leaves, and maybe some branches, to provide cover.

The reason why people recommend smaller tubs for baby ball pythons is because it's easier to get them feeling secure and eating.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-21-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    • cover 3/4 of the enclosure's sides with dark fabric/paper
    • use 2 identical hides
    • use tinfoil to cover the mesh top (cutting out a portion for the dome) to keep humidity from escaping
    • if you need to use overhead heat, use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) instead of a light bulb
    • ALL HEAT SOURCES MUST BE REGULATED by a thermoSTAT or rheostat/lamp dimmer, this is non-negotiable
    • go buy a thermostat
    • like right now
    • invest in an IR temp gun, you will not regret it
    • use digital thermometers/hygrometers
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Congrats,
    I figured a 20 gallon would be an ok starter size
    ,sadly no the size is way too big for an animal that hatched last week even with tons of accessories, I would not recommend a 20 gallons for an animal that not at least 500 grams and that will take a while.

The good news you can get a smaller suitable temporary setup, but to promote proper feeding and limit stress you need to start with something small and very secure that will upgrade over time as your animal grows.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Super Psyched and Impatient

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Congrats!! I love axanthics.

Have you read through this caresheet? https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...s%29-Caresheet

I think the most common tip people newish to owning snakes don't know is to get a thermostat for their heat sources lol. And a digital thermometer/hygrometer and a temp gun, not the dial petsmart kinds.

Baby ball pythons need a lot of security and cover and hides to feel secure enough to eat (more or less depending on the individual). If you can't find them 95% of the time, that means you probably have enough cover. If you see them lying around or "exploring" out in the open too much, it means your husbandry is off, they're stressed out and probably won't eat.

If you're putting a baby ball in a 20gallon long tank, I would get 4 small hides from reptilebasics, not just two. Along with lots of fake leaves, and maybe some branches, to provide cover.

The reason why people recommend smaller tubs for baby ball pythons is because it's easier to get them feeling secure and eating.
    Got it. I was temptes to go with a vivarium set up from ThatBioDude. Seems like an ingenius idea to me. That way, I can provide a lot of hides, and he's able to dig his own if he so chooses. The plants and natural soil keep the humidity up, I can put a tank heater pad on the side and then buy a herpstat 2 to monitor temperature and humidity. I was going to buy an IR gun as well to make it easier to spot check a specific area's temperature. Decent setup?
    Last edited by AxanthicAria; 06-21-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks

Plus, being that he just hatched last week, I have about a month's wait before he's ready for shipment, anyway. I was going to go all out on the lil guy. I'm an all or nothing type of guy lol. Decided I wanted an axanthic and did my research to figure out that John over at JD is one of the premier axanthic breeders, so that's where I decided to source my new family member from. I want the healthiest and most homey feeling habitat for him, and I'm hearing great things about vivariums setups. So I'm leaning that way.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    My 2 cents. If you have not owned balls before simpler tends to be better. If you have, then disregard. A bio setup is very advanced husbandry and it will make it difficult for you to understand when the animal's needs are not being met. More money and higher difficulty do not necessarily equate to keeping an animal healthy.

Thanks

Appreciate it! It's MY first pet, but I helped my parents care for theirs growing up and I've been blessed with a lot of exposure to ball pythons.

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Your snake will likely never need anything bigger than a 20 gallon if you are going with a display type enclosure instead of a tub. s others have mentioned though. Start with something smaller until it gets to size. Or put in some sort of partition to immolate a 10 gallon space and remove it when the time is right.
    Last edited by MasonC2K; 06-22-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    - Mason